Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanish or Portuguese?

• 03-05-2018 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

In November, I'm taking a trip to Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon and Marrakech. I already speak some basic French, but I was thinking of studying up on one of the other languages for my trip.

The practical side of me says Spanish, since I'm visiting two cities there (although I know they speak Catalan in Barcelona) and Spanish is sometimes spoken in Morocco as well. Also, I live in California, so knowing Spanish would come in handy there too.

But I find myself more drawn to Portuguese. Part of it is that my grandfather was of Portuguese heritage, and I may meet up with some cousins while I'm in Lisbon. And I kind of like that it's the less popular language. I've also heard that Spanish and Portuguese are very similar, but that Portuguese speakers may have any easier time with Spanish rather than the reverse.

Any advice? Am I way out of line for wanting to learn Portuguese rather than Spanish?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Purely based on my experience at learning basics of both on Duolingo, is that the Spanish is an easier language to acquire a simple knowledge of. But it is very much what the learner themselves aim to do with a language so conversing with relatives might tilt one towards Portugese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

I've been to each of these countries. Improving your level of French may serve you better for Morocco than learning the others. Having said that relatively few people speak English in Spain and Portugal compared to most other western/northern European Countries. It always amazes me how audibly different the two languages are to one another despite being related. You can see the similarity in writing but they sound nothing alike.

Relatively few people speak English in Morocco. Although unfortunately many know enough English vocabulary to attempt to solicit and scam you. Many people speak French in Morocco...you probably already know this. There are also loads of French expats and visitors in Morocco. The natives tend to see French speakers as being a bit more street wise and less gullible than other foreigners. If you're economical with your interactions you might be able to pass as French...which could come in handy in a tourist hub like Marrakech.

Not related to languages but since you are heading to Morocco and also going to be traveling in Spain...Tangier is a nightmare. Avoid if possible. I visited Morocco in 2007. There were six of us. We were harassed, solicited, grabbed, followed around, etc. Having two large men in the group didn't discourage them. I had small children tugging on my shirt because they couldn't reach my arm. This is something that we experienced in other places in Morocco but Tangier was particularly bad. They depend on tourists to make a living and it shows. The behaviour can be very stressful and unnerving. Casablanca is a fairly non descript modern colonial sprawl but it makes a much easier introduction to the country than Tangier. Are you traveling alone? I've traveled alone in Bulgaria and Russia but wouldn't dream of doing it in Morocco. It can be a rewarding place but you need to be prepared for what may come your way more than you would traveling to most other countries. I personally enjoyed Fes more than Marrakech. The latter mixes tacky tourist tat with legit local flavour. Fes was more low key, compact,...and more interesting.

Advertisement