Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking Wintry from November 18th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭highdef

This was at home in North Kildare last night. It stuck very readily on the adjacent hill which peaks at approx 60 metres higher than the location of the video.

Bit of snow overnight in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bit of snow overnight in Dundalk.

Had a shower in Lucan last night also, around 1.30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

It's snowing in Athlone again I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Some snow/sleet on the cars around Saggart and City West this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Slight snowfall here about an hour ago. Stopped now though thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Woke up to snow on the cars and grass in Roundwood.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Woke up to snow on the cars and grass in Roundwood.

Just a dusting or is there much?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Dónal wrote: »
    Just a dusting or is there much?
    Just a dusting. I'm in town in work now, but wouldn't imagine it lasting once the sun came up. Wasn't sticking on the tarmac - cars, decking, grass was all really at our level anyway. Enough to write username and date, if I'd thought of it at 7am! :) Wasn't expecting it, as everything I read suggested the showers wouldn't make it as far as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Just wondering, scientifically speaking what caused the unusual weather in 2010? What happened in the atmosphere that wouldn't usually happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

my barometer was dropping this mourning thats wet and cold right
    sorry im a novice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

starskey77 wrote: »
    my barometer was dropping this mourning thats wet and cold right
    sorry im a novice

The barometer measures atmospheric pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

i work outdoors its nice this spell of weather invigorating

Obviously FI, but this is the kind of thing which (ironically) gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling this time of year ;)

EDIT: Newbish question, but if we're looking for the temperature near the ground which will be the temperature we actually experience, is the 850hpa chart the one to be looking at?

gfs-1-312.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

It depends on the time of year (and therefore the strength of the sun).

In general an 850 upper temp of -8 in winter would be around 1 degree at ground level.

The closer you get to spring the warmer it gets. A -8 upper on a fine sunny day in early March for example would be around 3 or 4 degrees.

compsys wrote: »
    It depends on the time of year (and therefore the strength of the sun).

In general an 850 upper temp of -8 in winter would be around 1 degree at ground level.

The closer you get to spring the warmer it gets. A -8 upper on a fine sunny day in early March for example would be around 3 or 4 degrees.

Right, but when you look at say Met.ie and they give you a temperature forecast, which temperature chart on meteociel would be the closest thing to it?

For instance, based on what you're saying, an 850hpa temp wouldn't result in a cold enough ground temperature for the snow to actually stick, right?

These are the different charts one can look at:

[ z500-PRMSL ]- [ Temp. 850hPa ]- [ Précipitations ] - [ Résumé ] - [ Jet Stream ]- [ Altitude 1.5PVU ]- [ Iso0°c et z500/1000 ]
    [ ThetaE 850hPa ] - [ SBCAPE et LI ] - [ Temp. 2m ] - [ Temp. 10hPa stratosphère ] - [ Anomalie z500 ] - [ Temp 500hPa ] NEW!
    - [ Archives ] - [ Carte Hémi. Nord ]

Based on that list, which one do I want to be checking in order to see temperature that would be relevant to whether or not any potential snow would actually be able to remain on the ground for long? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Right, but when you look at say Met.ie and they give you a temperature forecast, which temperature chart on meteociel would be the closest thing to it?

For instance, based on what you're saying, an 850hpa temp wouldn't result in a cold enough ground temperature for the snow to actually stick, right?

These are the different charts one can look at:

[ z500-PRMSL ]- [ Temp. 850hPa ]- [ Précipitations ] - [ Résumé ] - [ Jet Stream ]- [ Altitude 1.5PVU ]- [ Iso0°c et z500/1000 ]
    [ ThetaE 850hPa ] - [ SBCAPE et LI ] - [ Temp. 2m ] - [ Temp. 10hPa stratosphère ] - [ Anomalie z500 ] - [ Temp 500hPa ] NEW!
    - [ Archives ] - [ Carte Hémi. Nord ]

Based on that list, which one do I want to be checking in order to see temperature that would be relevant to whether or not any potential snow would actually be able to remain on the ground for long? :D

That would be [ Temp. 2m ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Iso0Cz500/1000 is another useful one, it gives the height of the 0C isotherm in metres, if its within 500m or so above ground then you'd have a chance of snow surviving the fall. The colours are the thickness of the atmosphere between 1000 and 500hPa in decametres, 528dm (5280 metres) is usually seen as the maximum for snow to fall, the lower the better

Right will add those two to my regular Meteociel browsing, thanks :D
    FI isn't looking nearly as sweet as it was, unsurprisingly... The further you go in terms of hours, the more the Atlantic seems to dominate :/
    So basically starting to resemble the charts from this time last year, iirc.

Advertisement