Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavy rain 2nd-3rd October (heaviest in Munster)

• 02-10-2013 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

mf5M2SR.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Thanks for the heads up. It's nice and dry in Waterford at the minute. I wonder how much longer that will last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavens have opened here

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Had some very heavy rain around midnight with a few rumbles, and again at about 6.30am, giving around 8mm so far today. Combined with the 23mm yesterday, I've already recorded 3/4s of Septembers rainfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭weisses

Would this be valid to more inland locations ??... Hope it will miss Dingle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Had some very heavy rain around midnight with a few rumbles, and again at about 6.30am, giving around 8mm so far today. Combined with the 23mm yesterday, I've already recorded 3/4s of Septembers rainfall.

How much for September?

• Advertisement

How much for September?

41.6mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I haven't seen the rain develop the way I thought it would this morning and afternoon. Nothing major over the country at the moment. Met Eireann were quit specific with a 50-60mm warning for 24 hour period starting at 06:00 this morning for some areas in Munster. I can't see that somehow.

There looks to be something more significant just west of Iberia that is being pulled up toward us, but will be several hours before it arrives

Current NAE showing Leinster getting soaked! especially Wicklow Co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yup , should be Leinster and munster being the heaviest . Would expect the odd clap of thunder in places too... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

here's Simon Keeling's view. He has the bad weather for tomorrow. It looks nasty

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

High pressure building after the rain. Our record for October is 25.2*C. Can it be beaten?

According to Radar that large mass of Heavy Rain is Leinster Bound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, if that keeps up the east coast is going to have an extremely disrupted evening rush hour. OK, that's that jinxed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yup , incomings...

1380006_734584029891314_1213951772_n.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats a big concern, its probably moving fast enough to avoid scenes such as October 2011 but the past few days have produced near saturated ground around Dublin so even 3 hours of 20-30mm/hr will be very problematic. IIRC the 2011 flood came about after 80mm over 4/5 hours....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats a big concern, its probably moving fast enough to avoid scenes such as October 2011 but the past few days have produced near saturated ground around Dublin so even 3 hours of 20-30mm/hr will be very problematic. IIRC the 2011 flood came about after 80mm over 4/5 hours....

Low tide in Dublin is around 5pm, so that should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

pad199207 wrote: »
    According to Radar that large mass of Heavy Rain is Leinster Bound!
    The heavens are opening now here near Arklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Steady rain here in Waterford all morning/afternoon. Was very heavy for a while.

I can already see my Rain Shadow setting up nicely! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Nice sunny, breezy day up here in Ballina :D

• Advertisement

Steady rain here in Waterford all morning/afternoon. Was very heavy for a while.

We had about. 2hrs of a dry slot here but a lot of rain yesterday Total for today and yesterday alone is now 32.2mm.
    currently rain rate is 11.4m/hr in Arklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Radar echoes not quite as intense now but still an extremely wet evening to come for much of the east.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wicklow mountains sucking all the rain for me. Dry here since 11am.

...light rain now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don't think its going to be as bad as the 50mm forecasted by ME?
    It seems to be losing its intensity, compare 1300 and 1500
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This from Garda Traffic in the last hour

The following Warning has been issued by Met Éireann at 14:00 hours Thursday, 03-Oct-2013

The focus for heavy rainfall leading to localised flooding this
    evening and early tonight is counties bordering the Irish Sea
    from Wexford to Louth.

There is a high risk of these counties accumulating 25 to
    40mm of rain, and a moderate risk of accumulating 40 to
    50mm of rain, during the 12 hour period from 3:00pm
    Thursday 3rd October 2013.

Valid from 15:00 hours Thu, 03-Oct-2013
    Valid until 03:00 hours Fri, 04-Oct-2013

Weather Warning
    For Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow and Meath
    Level: Orange

I'd call this a wet day,nothing special,but the total here near Arklow is near 40mm now for 2 days.
    The Avoca River is fast flowing and near its banks in the town at the moment.Its the highest I've seen it since the spring and its obviously not been high at all,all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

It's more a constant light to medium rain that shows no signs of letting up, can't see any major flooding happening but it's a day not to be out in it

Rained constantly here today:) garden is loving it, so am I.

Went for a walk in a very heavy downpour last night, got thoroughly soaked, it was almost like walking in a warm shower.

Yea heavier echoes died out before hitting the east but still moderate rain and building up.

Looked very threatening for a while but moderated as it hit the coast.

• Advertisement

only 28mm (so far) since Tuesday in my back yard - nothing exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

57mm here (Kilkenny) since Tuesday.

RobertKK wrote: »
    57mm here (Kilkenny) since Tuesday.
    double what I got, the Wicklow rain shadow obviously the reason as the rain is all coming from the south.

48.1mm so far in October here, almost half of it from the heavy showers on Tuesday. 14.2mm so far today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

This must be a mistake not on estofex now
    Tornadoes predicted for Ireland - EU forecasters
    By WicklowNews.net, Oct 3rd 2013, 18:57

European storm forecasters are predicting tornadoes may hit Ireland tomorrow.

58127_Storms.jpg

The European Storm Forecast Experiment known as ESTOFEX, is forecasting heavy rain, severe wind gusts, tornadoes and the possibility of a large hail event.

The group of European meteorologists issue storm forecasts on a daily basis which address the threats posed by severe storms in Europe.

The body has issued a level 1 threat, which corresponds to a 5%- 15% chance that a severe convective storm will occur within a 40 km radius of Ireland.

ESTOFEX said the arrival of a cold front and jet streaks in the atmosphere could create conditions for a rapid thunderstorms which may include severe wind gusts and flash floods.

Met Éireann has issued a ‘yellow’ alert, warning of heavy rain with a risk of thunder and localised flooding, especially in the west.

Up to 30mm of rain is possible in parts of the west.

The Road Safety Authority has urged motorists to take extra care with heavy rain and localised flooding expected across the country.

RSA chief executive Noel Brett said the weather will present challenging road conditions for drivers.

Gardai in Wicklow told Wicklownews.net that there had been an increase in the number of accidents in the last number of days due to the wet conditions and urged drivers to take more care when driving in the rain.

http://www.wicklownews.net/Post/2013/10/5746/tornadoes-predicted-for-ireland---eu-forecasters

51.2mm october so far in Arklow
    39.6 mm of that today and yesterday and rising
    Currently raining and foggy

• Advertisement

vickers209 wrote: »

definitely a mistake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

vickers209 wrote: »

That "wicklownews" thing is a copy and paste job of this RTE article, image and all, from July 31st : http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0731/465720-tornado-warning/

:rolleyes:

Current rain rate in Arklow 8.8mm/hr
    Total today 25.6mm,43.6mm since yesterday,and 3 day total 56.6mm and rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

whitebriar wrote: »
    Current rain rate in Arklow 8.8mm/hr
    Total today 25.6mm,43.6mm since yesterday,and 3 day total 56.6mm and rising.

The reservoirs should be nice and full then. No need for pesky water charges in a country floating on the stuff!

When are we going to get some decent wind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

Fiskar wrote: »
    The reservoirs should be nice and full then. No need for pesky water charges in a country floating on the stuff!

Yep, the water will just store, treat and deliver itself to homes and businesses free of cost to anyone. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Fiskar wrote: »

A little breeze coming our way :P

274488.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭compsys

omicron wrote: »
    Yep, the water will just store, treat and deliver itself to homes and businesses free of cost to anyone. :rolleyes:

Lol. You beat me to it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement