Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning off hot tap to replace washer

• 21-09-2019 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Hot Tap in ensuite dripping. I can't seem to figure out how to turn off hot water. Tried a few things in hot press, only managed to stop cold water tap.

Surely , it can be done without emptying tank?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Happy4all wrote: »
    Hot Tap in ensuite dripping. I can't seem to figure out how to turn off hot water. Tried a few things in hot press, only managed to stop cold water tap.

Surely , it can be done without emptying tank?

If you managed to stop the cold tap in the bathroom the hot should also stop after a short while.

Post a clear pic of your cylinder including pipework.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Picture attached, hopefully clear enough

Wearb wrote: »
    If you managed to stop the cold tap in the bathroom the hot should also stop after a short while.

Post a clear pic of your cylinder including pipework.

Attached

I cant see the cylinder (just the edge of it). I can't see the relationship between the pipework and the cylinder.
    Did you leave the hot tap running for a while after getting the cold turned off, to see if the hot eventually stopped?

I cant see the cylinder (just the edge of it). I can't see the relationship between the pipework and the cylinder.
    Did you leave the hot tap running for a while after getting the cold turned off, to see if the hot eventually stopped?

Will try get a better pic. The cold stop stopped fast but 5 mins later the hot tap was still in full flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not in my house it won't. I have separate pipes coming down from the tank in the attic, one feeds all of the cold taps (other than the kitchen sink) while the other goes into the bottom of the immersion tank which in turn feeds the hot taps. Each downpipe has a red valve to switch off the flow so hot and cold are different and can be turned off independent of the other.

The OP seems to have the same setup because when he turns off the cold feed, the hot taps keep flowing. See the previous post.

coylemj wrote: »
    Not in my house it won't. I have separate pipes coming down from the tank in the attic, one feeds all of the cold taps (other than the kitchen sink) while the other goes into the bottom of the immersion tank which in turn feeds the hot taps. Each downpipe has a red valve to switch off the flow so hot and cold are different and can be turned off independent of the other.

The OP seems to have the same setup because when he turns off the cold feed, the hot taps keep flowing. See the previous post.

Now that you mention it, most are like that. It's rare enough to see it done differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Happy4all wrote: »
    Will try get a better pic. The cold stop stopped fast but 5 mins later the hot tap was still in full flow

Looking at your last picture, if your cylinder is any way typical, on the right hand side of the tank there should be a pipe connected to the bottom of the cylinder and rising up along the wall to above the tank and somewhere along the way before it goes through the ceiling there should be a valve.
    Turn this valve several turns clockwise to shut off the hot water.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Looking at your last picture, if your cylinder is any way typical, on the right hand side of the tank there should be a pipe connected to the bottom of the cylinder and rising up along the wall to above the tank and somewhere along the way before it goes through the ceiling there should be a valve.
    Turn this valve several turns clockwise to shut off the hot water.

Only getting back to solving this. The following two valves run up along the right hand side.

I turn the hot valve clockwise. It stop hot water but instead cold water flows through the tap.

If I turn off the cold water valve it stops the cold tap.

Nothing seems to stop hot tap running!

New image attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Go up to where your cold water storage tank is and check that the expansion pipe is not submerged in the top of the water line.
    This is the open ended pipe that hangs over the top of the water tank. Check that its not in the water. If it is it needs to be out of the water and correctly supported.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Go up to where your cold water storage tank is and check that the expansion pipe is not submerged in the top of the water line.
    This is the open ended pipe that hangs over the top of the water tank. Check that its not in the water. If it is it needs to be out of the water and correctly supported.

Cheers will check it out

Advertisement