Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It’s hard not to feel insurance is just a big fat scam.

Options
  • 11-10-2019 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭

Recently bought a Peugeot Partner van.

Having never held commercial insurance before I was expecting to pay heavily. Indeed the quotes were steep, €1000, €1200 and even one at €2500.

I’m 47, full licence 30 years, full no claims bonus on private policy, no penalty points.

AXA refuses to quote on the basis that I had insufficient driving experience on a commercial policy, didn’t take much notice.

Went with insuremyvan.ie in the end as they gave me fully comp for €460 as they partially mirrored my private policy ncb. Absolutely delighted, it leaves me two vehicles insured fully comp for under €900

I really laughed when my policy documents came out and in fact I’m insured with AXA !

It makes no sense at all to me how they refuse to quote me directly and then cover me via a broker, dirt cheap too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

So you're "absolutely delighted" with an outcome but feel it's a "scam"?

I'm confused

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ahh come on...
    When I went directly they said I had insufficient experience to even quote me.
    Yet through a broker they gave what I thought was a really good price.

How is this the actions of a sane business model, my risk is no more or less because I’m going through a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

The same insurer will have different prices, different conditions etc depending on sales channel.

It's not unique to insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Insurers will often want to restrict the intake of policies with a certain profile. To allow them monitor the levels, they will direct these through specific distribution channels with competitive premiums and increase the price through other sources. There will also be a difference in premium depending on the amount od admin that different distribution channels undertake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

You’re insured through the broker, AXA are just an underwriter who pay out in the event of a claim, they are a separate company from AXA direct, been there done that worn the t-shirt etc

Spent the bones of 15 consecutive years with AXA direct, in recent years I left them due to the price of the quote, ended up with AXA via the AA for half the price, only then was I told the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

AXA are the insurers in both cases, not underwriters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

AXA are the insurers in both cases, not underwriters.

Just saying what the AA told me. Don’t shoot the messenger

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement