Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to say goodbye

• 19-04-2015 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Well folks it's been interesting but old grazeaway , will be away grazing somewhere new in the coming weeks so will probably close the account, may pop in a few times just to nose around but probably not making much contribution.

The mrs and I have decided to up sticks and move. We have been talking about it for about a year now but since Christmas have been a bit more serious.

As some readers of other threads may know we have been having a bit of a hard time over the last year to 18 months and in that time she has become very homesick. Her dad is looking to retire from farming in the next few years and while one of her brothers is farming full time he has his own farm a young family and contracting business so wouldn't have the time to take on the home place too.

OH has always had an interest in farming but was never sure if she wanted it full time. But I suppose being with me for the last few years and helping out around here got her thinking. The company I work for have an office close to where she is from (it's kinda how we got together as I was over there with work) and have offered me a role there. It's an interesting role but will involve a lot of travelling so where ever I'm going to be based I'll have less time on the farm.

I'm after picking up a left hand drive 5-series estate and come June weekend we'll be piling what we can into it and drive cross Northern Europe and over to Skane in Southern Sweden.

One of my sisters is taking over my interest here as she has been helping around on the place when I have been away or in work and is going to rent the house off of me as we are not going to sell it in case we decide to move back.

Half of me is looking forward to it and half of me is dreading it, it been a few years since I was travelling and living somewhere else and I have been very attached to home but I've always liked going there and while my swedish is fairly crap nearly everyone there speaks English and I have enough to make myself understood to the older folks who think I'm American or British.

Just wondering how many on here have or would move to start a new life in a different country , language and culture?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

grazeaway wrote: »
    Well folks it's been interesting but old grazeaway , will be away grazing somewhere new in the coming weeks so will probably close the account, may pop in a few times just to nose around but probably not making much contribution.

The mrs and I have decided to up sticks and move. We have been talking about it for about a year now but since Christmas have been a bit more serious.

As some readers of other threads may know we have been having a bit of a hard time over the last year to 18 months and in that time she has become very homesick. Her dad is looking to retire from farming in the next few years and while one of her brothers is farming full time he has his own farm a young family and contracting business so wouldn't have the time to take on the home place too.

OH has always had an interest in farming but was never sure if she wanted it full time. But I suppose being with me for the last few years and helping out around here got her thinking. The company I work for have an office close to where she is from (it's kinda how we got together as I was over there with work) and have offered me a role there. It's an interesting role but will involve a lot of travelling so where ever I'm going to be based I'll have less time on the farm.

I'm after picking up a left hand drive 5-series estate and come June weekend we'll be piling what we can into it and drive cross Northern Europe and over to Skane in Southern Sweden.

One of my sisters is taking over my interest here as she has been helping around on the place when I have been away or in work and is going to rent the house off of me as we are not going to sell it in case we decide to move back.

Half of me is looking forward to it and half of me is dreading it, it been a few years since I was travelling and living somewhere else and I have been very attached to home but I've always liked going there and while my swedish is fairly crap nearly everyone there speaks English and I have enough to make myself understood to the older folks who think I'm American or British.

Just wondering how many on here have or would move to start a new life in a different country , language and culture?

Best of luck!
    Please keep posting.
    I have most of my business interests abroad and I see too much "parochialism" on here...keep posting.
    I spent a while in Scandinavia many moons ago - enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Best of luck grazeaway. It's a big move. Hope everything works out for ye! Is farming in Sweden much different to ireland? Other than the climate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Best of luck Grazeaway. I spent some time with work in Eskilstuna, just west of Stockholm. Very nice people, everyone as you say, has near perfect English.
    As for living in a different country, my brother is back from the US at the moment. He's there over 20 years now and when he comes home, it's like he never left. Same old guy, he never even picked up the accent. He watches all the GAA matches still and is involved with a local GAA club there. I do think though that he finds it strange coming home. I have lived abroad myself for 4 years and when you come home you expect things to be as you left them. In reality everyone else has moved one with their lives in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Best of luck Graze away.

As previous poster said - just cos you are moving, doesn't mean you have to close your account. But you know your own mind best :)

As for your Q - I lived in Dublin once, but I found it too strange, so I ended up in Cork again ;)

Again - best of luck to you both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Best of luck to you both.
    Don't forget to call back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Best of luck to you Grazeaway & hope it works out the best for you. My brother lives in Finland & a good friend of mine has a Swedish wife and often travels there so if I can be of any use to you there don't hesitate to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Best of luck. Please keep posting. It's great to get the perspective of F&F brought here by posters working or farming abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Best of luck Graze away. Hope it goes well. Keep posting lad.

As far as upping sticks goes, we have had few things happen that make us think work to live rather than live to work.

Also, just cause you are born in an area doesn't mean you have to spend your life there.

We are seriously looking into farms nearer a place we both love to visit any time we have a day off. Spend all our spare time there so would make sense to live there.

Also commutable to work.

Wouldn't have considered it two year ago but it chipping away now in my mind all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Best of luck to ya Grazeaway.
    No need to cllose your account on due to heading off. Sure you could just pop in for the auld banter once your settled and more importantly post up some pics of the Valmets in their natural habitat :D.

On a serious note. I hope it works out for ye both and it becomes what you want it to be :cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Feckthis wrote: »
    Best of luck grazeaway. It's a big move. Hope everything works out for ye! Is farming in Sweden much different to ireland? Other than the climate?

Not as much as you think other then the scale. Skane is the very south of the country (still further north then Donegal) and there are massive tillage farms round here, it's a bit like the east if England or Germany.

Climate is actually better then here but they have more noticeable seasons. Not unusual to hit the low 30's in summer while plenty of snow in winter.

And even though Kurt Wallender is from just down the road the place isn't full of strange murders. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Best of luck with a fresh start.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Best of luck Grazeaway. I spent some time with work in Eskilstuna, just west of Stockholm. Very nice people, everyone as you say, has near perfect English.
    As for living in a different country, my brother is back from the US at the moment. He's there over 20 years now and when he comes home, it's like he never left. Same old guy, he never even picked up the accent. He watches all the GAA matches still and is involved with a local GAA club there. I do think though that he finds it strange coming home. I have lived abroad myself for 4 years and when you come home you expect things to be as you left them. In reality everyone else has moved one with their lives in the meantime.

Might pop my head into the games in Malmo or in Copenhagen but with the traveling for work cant see myself dusting down the boots. I will be logging onto rte online to watch the matches and there are direct flights to Dublin for those Sundays in September.

Kovu wrote: »
    Best of luck to you Grazeaway & hope it works out the best for you. My brother lives in Finland & a good friend of mine has a Swedish wife and often travels there so if I can be of any use to you there don't hesitate to ask.

I'll bear that in mind come calving season....ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Best of Luck !!

as others said no need to close your a/c

when you get settled in and you get free time, drop in for a chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Best of luck with the move Grazeaway, I am sure you'll make it work. We would all be interested to hear your reports of life in Sweden, I'm sure. There was an Estonian poster here a while back, but haven't noticed any posts/pics lately, but its always great to get a perspective from another country.

As for your last question, if everything went tits up here, would probably consider France.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Best of luck to ya Grazeaway.
    No need to cllose your account on due to heading off. Sure you could just pop in for the auld banter once your settled and more importantly post up some pics of the Valmets in their natural habitat :D.

On a serious note. I hope it works out for ye both and it becomes what you want it to be :cool::cool:

Well if you ask the FIL he will say the valmets natural home is in the garage with a mechanic under it...ha ha

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Best of luck with the move Grazeaway, I am sure you'll make it work. We would all be interested to hear your reports of life in Sweden, I'm sure. There was an Estonian poster here a while back, but haven't noticed any posts/pics lately, but its always great to get a perspective from another country.

As for your last question, if everything went tits up here, would probably consider France.

Did think about France ourselves a few years ago, cousin of min elves and farms there and the neighbouring farm came up for sale but decided to keep the day job and build a house instead.

Best of luck Graze away.

As previous poster said - just cos you are moving, doesn't mean you have to close your account. But you know your own mind best :)

As for your Q - I lived in Dublin once, but I found it too strange, so I ended up in Cork again ;)

Again - best of luck to you both.

Yeah hard to deal with the funny accents up there...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Best of luck

To answer your question I would in a heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Wishing you all of the best in your new venture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Very best f luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Best of luck to you all and hope all works out.
    Would do the same as you if got opportunity but probably for different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Swedish wife, most of us would pack it in for that alone.

Best of luck and keep the account open. You'd miss us too much otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Best of luck with the move.
    Myself and few lads spend a few days in Sweden a few yrs back we went around with our mouth open for the few days the women where unreal,now when they start asking you to buy them drinks at the bar its time to move on.
    One or two where ladies of the night but the price they where asking I'd have to sell a few acers to pay for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Best of luck,
    Always better to regret doing something, than regret not doing it. Iykwim.
    Have no family here so know the heartache....hope everything works out for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Best of luck, grazeaway, to both yourself and herself.

As my father told me whenever i was worried about a move, life has a habit of taking you where you need to go.

Enjoy the adventure and drop in and make us all jealous every so often:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Best of luck to both of ye. If what I hear about Sweden is true then you will have a super internet connection there - so no excuses for not keeping in touch :)
    Also, I am sure you will get bored occasionally during those excessively long winter nights so no better place to spend some time than with your cyber friends on F&F :D

Swedish wife, most of us would pack it in for that alone.

Best of luck and keep the account open. You'd miss us too much otherwise.

She gets a good chuckle when everyone thinks she should have blonde hair and blue eyes. In fact I was suprised the 1st time I went there too, more blondes in Ireland, as they say over there is you want blondes go to Finland or Norway... Ha ha ha.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    Best of luck with the move.
    Myself and few lads spend a few days in Sweden a few yrs back we went around with our mouth open for the few days the women where unreal,now when they start asking you to buy them drinks at the bar its time to move on.
    One or two where ladies of the night but the price they where asking I'd have to sell a few acers to pay for it

Well I usually don't frequent those type of places...ha ha ha

Base price wrote: »
    Best of luck to both of ye. If what I hear about Sweden is true then you will have a super internet connection there - so no excuses for not keeping in touch :)
    Also, I am sure you will get bored occasionally during those excessively long winter nights so no better place to spend some time than with your cyber friends on F&F :D

Yeah proper infrastructure will take a bit of getting used to. Nights are much differnt to here, closer to living in somewhere like Glasgow. We have gone on Hols further north and the midnight sun is a bit weird in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Best of luck with it grazeaway, it'll be a big change, hope it works out the finest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

All the best Grazeaway hope it works out. But make sure you remember the mothers people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Best of luck grazeaway, hope it all works out for the best.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Hope it all works out, best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

The very best of good luck grazeaway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

She gets a good chuckle when everyone thinks she should have blonde hair and blue eyes. In fact I was suprised the 1st time I went there too, more blondes in Ireland, as they say over there is you want blondes go to Finland or Norway... Ha ha ha.

I thought Blondes were a french breed. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Grazeaway, all the very best. Wish I had the goolies years ago to do it!!!!
    Sure stay on line and keep us all jealous, I mean updated!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Best of luck to the both of ye lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Very best of good luck.
    Shur keep us all in the loop, you have the makings of a great story to be told. Keep on posting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Well I usually don't frequent those type of places...ha ha ha

They where in the pub one of the lads thought he was well in until she told him how much she charged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sounds like an exciting change. There are times when i'd love to get outta here and work in a different country. Prefer somewhere warmer than Sweden, but its a great country all the same in many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Sounds like an exciting change. There are times when i'd love to get outta here and work in a different country. Prefer somewhere warmer than Sweden, but its a great country all the same in many ways.

Was over there myself a few years ago couldn't belive how warm in was in the summer, as the locals say they fly south for the winter....ha ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

best of luck, youll be sound out with those swedish women to be looking at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Just wondering how many on here have or would move to start a new life in a different country, language and culture?

Best of luck. Didn't see other threads but sounds like ye've discussed it plenty and it's a joint decision.

I've two good college friends settled in the UK who I'd have bet on settling at home. They never intended to live away but love etc etc. Now one immediately accepted his decision and has made his life there and is content. The other still comes home alot, talks of moving home etc and 15 years later is still unsettled. I think you get the point.

Again best of luck and a happy family is more important than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Best of luck.

Hope everything goes ok for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The very best of luck to you. Having a good woman beside you is half the battle. Enjoy the adventure, it's the stuff dreams are made of. Fill us filled in on all the details, we're fierce nosey here !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

best of luck with your move. nothing ventured etc.

Well it's been a very busy few weeks since we got here at the start of the month. Weather has been a bit irish for most of may and June so corn was late going in. Been travelling a lot with work so haven't had much input to what's going on here but have been busy when I have been at home.

Said I'd post a few pics to give ye an up date.

Here are the tractors after we got the corn done a few weeks back. We were flat out going 24hrs a day once it dried up. Valtra is ours and it does of the work here on our place. Very comfortable and nice to drive up neither I or the FIL are huge fans and it has had issues with reliability too. Lease is up next year so I'll be looking to change it for a NH if I get my way.

Case is the BIL's it's 20 years old but it only has about 6000 hrs on the clock as it is only used on the tillage farm and does no contracting. Used for prepping the ground, sowing and bringing into the grain in the authunm.

Here is how you repair a country road in Sweden, cork coco should take note.

• Advertisement
Advertisement