Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass measuring 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Your covering fair area by only being out by day free.
    I'm wondering will silage have to go back in here for march high demand then and those old leys and that reseed might grow feck all till grazed

Grazed a lot of reseeds with light covers. Back into heavier ones over the past week. Fert going on Monday. You better be right about the 15-10-10 or you and me will be having words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Grazed a lot of reseeds with light covers. Back into heavier ones over the past week. Fert going on Monday. You better be right about the 15-10-10 or you and me will be having words.

Jaysus I hope I am now ðŸ˜
    Ah we got a great response last yr going out at start with a good bit of our allowance in p and k.
    Hope this yr is just as good

Lime going out on out farm today.
    Will be 50 maiden heifers on it thus yr with spring ones and autumn ones.
    Still 200 bales if silage over there untouched.
    Hope I get as much off it this yr as I did last yr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

15% grazed as of today. rain thurs night had an effect on ground conditions so headed for an dry but exposed spot last night . was unhappy that they got a wetting with the last of the showers followed with a stiff breeze and dropping temps. must have been like stepping out of the bath and into the fridge for the night:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

15%. 2 cows to ha calved and should be over 3.5 at March 1. 3.5 kg 14% meal and maize silage as buffer.

• Advertisement

S72GeK.jpg
    Giving cows silage before evening milking then allocating av 6-7kgs grass.
    There's a bit of want for silage in them mostly autumn calved.
    Clean out a bit better some days.
    That's last nights allocation

37p6GK.jpg
    One of last yrs reseeds. Grazed a week today.
    I need a farm of this stuff. Was grazing it every ten days last yr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Lime going out on out farm today.
    Will be 50 maiden heifers on it thus yr with spring ones and autumn ones.
    Still 200 bales if silage over there untouched.
    Hope I get as much off it this yr as I did last yr

Fella I know has 600 bales of extra silage. Couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

37p6GK.jpg
    One of last yrs reseeds. Grazed a week today.
    I need a farm of this stuff. Was grazing it every ten days last yr

Greened up nice already it will be flying it when you get the slurry on. Trying to get a few reseeds grazed at the moment soft enough had to pull out of them after the rain yesterday

Fella I know has 600 bales of extra silage. Couldn't believe it.

Money in the bank. Over 100 still at home here.
    Had too many yrs here with no silage now. Never want to see it again

• Advertisement

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Greened up nice already it will be flying it when you get the slurry on. Trying to get a few reseeds grazed at the moment soft enough had to pull out of them after the rain yesterday

Grazing hybrid here ATM great stuff to get cows to graze low
    Going into reseed we did in September then

• Registered Users Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

its only the middle of February , they could be needed yet

Grazing hybrid here ATM great stuff to get cows to graze low
    Going into reseed we did in September then
    Hopefully get to Finnish off ours latter in the week, promised a lot of rain here tomorrow hopefully it doesn't come

whelan2 wrote: »
    its only the middle of February , they could be needed yet

Oh I know. At least I have it and not going to have to compensate with meal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

S72GeK.jpg

GG. Looks like not great clean out and a fair amount of trampled grass? Can be hard to tell from photos.

I've been grazing heavy covers and getting on ok. Then the paddock with Sunday's rain and got terrible clean out. Unfortunately though they are 3 day paddocks and I'm not in a position to graze for 3-4hr periods. Would get much better clean out that way with smaller paddocks.

just do it wrote: »
    GG. Looks like not great clean out and a fair amount of trampled grass? Can be hard to tell from photos.

I've been grazing heavy covers and getting on ok. Then the paddock with Sunday's rain and got terrible clean out. Unfortunately though they are 3 day paddocks and I'm not in a position to graze for 3-4hr periods. Would get much better clean out that way with smaller paddocks.

That's the trouble with giving silage even worse in the autumn.
    I gave them smaller area today and they clipped that right down

That's the trouble with giving silage even worse in the autumn.
    I gave them smaller area today and they clipped that right down

Yeah I'd like to give much smaller allocations but Roman wasn't built in a day. Trying to get reseeds grazed as they've heavy covers and a few wet days here will have all the stock back in till God only knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

S72GeK.jpg

I'd be more than happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Chanced the cows out here on the drier side of farm today in a paddock with a low enough cover after being in fir the last two days. Thought they were settling away when I went to close the gap when low and behold the neighbours dogs decide to come over and introduce themselves and 100 cows proceed to do a couple of laps of the field, cheap method of feckin ploughing anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

+1, have two handy pits here not opened yet, uncle buys and sells straw etc. he reckons if spring goes anyway natural pit silage will be got very right, hope to buy straw in May when cutting silage and put a lot on top of pit, hoping to gt for €6/€7/bale, can be got at minute for €8, offered 8x4x4 barley straw for €16 yesterday, nowhere to put it though atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

22% grazed, cows out by day, nothing else, but still a lot going through the parlour with a fair few April/may calvers not dry. I've been lazy enough this year about other figures like grass covers/% allocations etc, but staying within a week each side of the 1/3 area for March 1st and 2/3s paddy's day are very important. Pushing it in terms of amount of light poaching I'll admit, but that's something that doesn't hugely worry me, I always notice a very good recovery by the 2nd round in terms of growth.

Just on the area grazed is it as a percentage of the milking block or is it whole farm? We will close 30% for 2 cut silage after it's grazed I assume for the targets lads would include this?

Milked out wrote: »
    Just on the area grazed is it as a percentage of the milking block or is it whole farm? We will close 30% for 2 cut silage after it's grazed I assume for the targets lads would include this?

Whole farm.

Whole farm.

I've 16% grazed on whole farm. 22% in milking platform
    I was always using milking platform.
    Heifers might be going to grass Monday week

Timmaay wrote: »
    Pushing it in terms of amount of light poaching I'll admit, but that's something that doesn't hugely worry me, I always notice a very good recovery by the 2nd round in terms of growth.
    it's a balancing act alright. I'm coming to the conclusion the good ground recovers quickly from light poaching. On the peat ground however you can't afford any poaching of the top layer. Much slower recovery and subsequently more prone to poaching.

I've 16% grazed on whole farm. 22% in milking platform
    I was always using milking platform.
    Heifers might be going to grass Monday week

With outfarms esp ground destined for silage I'd say the 30% is s bit less critical. You need the 30% on grazing platform to ensure adequate time for covers to build for the start of the next rotation in early April. Having the 30% grazed on outfarms helps though in a late spring. You have the covers t o allow you to keep the pressure off main grazing block if magic day is late.

Over the past few years I have become less hung up on closing dates for silage and am inclined to close ground as surpluses appear. I closed some paddocks for first cut last year as I was driving down the farm roadway with the mower on to knock the first cut.

I'll blanket spread the whole place first week of April with a bag and a half of ASN. Any ground deemed closed for silage will have gotten slurry and this ground and any other paddocks closed will be topped up depending on the weather since early April and the long term forecast around the 20th of the month. Probably around a bag of urea.

what are grazing conditions like now?

Not great over with us pretty sticky getting away with on off grazing but any more rain and we will be housed at night at least. Will try and keep some bit of grass in the diet as our silage in terrible

Clean out is excellent. ........ at the feed barrier:(

• Advertisement

Milked out wrote: »
    Clean out is excellent. ........ at the feed barrier:(
    same here, was nice to have them out for a few days , wonder when will they get out again

Advertisement