Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grass measuring 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

whelan2 wrote: »
    same here, was nice to have them out for a few days , wonder when will they get out again

Not sure haven't been out here for 5 days now, light covers on our drier ground so if it dries out should get thru that fast enuv it's the the heavy covers on the wet ground I'm worried about, ground will take time to dry out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1st day back in here today. Will hopefully get back out tomorrow again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Timmaay wrote: »
    1st day back in here today. Will hopefully get back out tomorrow again.

How much rain has fell?
    Haven't been talking to dad hope he has kept cows in if its very wet

How much rain has fell?

Fair bit this morning, walked down the field just before the evening milking, ground conditions were actually good, I should have let them out at lunchtime but wasn't worth the argument with my dad ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

How much rain has fell?

An absolute deluge, with Wexford the worst hit. I don't even think I'd come home if I was u!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

An absolute deluge, with Wexford the worst hit. I don't even think I'd come home if I was u!!

GG should bring back an ark. I think Wexford broke off and is floating away according to last report I heard.
    west cork is surviving but fecking saturated. Grass utilisation is zero as cattle won't see it for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Im going to give a go at the grass measuring this year. Ive decided ill cut and measure for a start to get my eye in and maybe help keep it in. I was looking at the shears on grasstec and amazon there and im wondering is it worth going for the more expensive bosch on grasstec. Im usually of the opinion went buying tools is pay for a quality product and only have to buy once. Maybe there's cheaper ones available that would do the job?
    I remember watching an adviser have hardship trying to cut a quadrant once and thought if your going to have that much hardship you wouldnt bother. I dont know what machine he had.

Midfield9 wrote: »
    Im going to give a go at the grass measuring this year. Ive decided ill cut and measure for a start to get my eye in and maybe help keep it in. I was looking at the shears on grasstec and amazon there and im wondering is it worth going for the more expensive bosch on grasstec. Im usually of the opinion went buying tools is pay for a quality product and only have to buy once. Maybe there's cheaper ones available that would do the job?
    I remember watching an adviser have hardship trying to cut a quadrant once and thought if your going to have that much hardship you wouldnt bother. I dont know what machine he had.

If your serious about it buy a good brand don't have to buy it off grasstec.
    I bought one out of lidl not spectacular I'll change it soon but it does the job.
    I eyeball a good bit now and find I'm not too far out.
    Is your discussion group big into grass?

Did a measure this morning.
    AFC down to 570 some paddocks have grown 5/6 day others have lost up to 200kgs with the frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,825 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did a measure this morning.
    AFC down to 570 some paddocks have grown 5/6 day others have lost up to 200kgs with the frost
    are they out full time?

• Advertisement

are they out full time?

Yep. 31% grazed
    I'm not all that worried tbh yet
    But absolute no growth out of any if that N I spread yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yep. 31% grazed
    I'm not all that worried tbh yet
    But absolute no growth out of any if that N I spread yet

Don't panic you'll grow more grass in a few good mild spring March days than the whole of February.u need to slow down rotation a bit though if your over 30% grazed already

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Don't panic you'll grow more grass in a few good mild spring March days than the whole of February.u need to slow down rotation a bit though if your over 30% grazed already

Was on target till I went away. Dad was under pressure so can't give out.
    DG tomorrow I'll see what they think

Cows only out by day here and close on 30% grazed, high demand from turnout on Jan 27th with the winter milkers. Probably calving alittle early also. Will leave them inside at night for another few weeks probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I actually think the 30% figure is a bit conservative. 40% might be closer. Will let ye know

I actually think the 30% figure is a bit conservative. 40% might be closer. Will let ye know

This is the first yr ever here we can try start things off any way right sure last yr I had whole farm grazed by now

Have enough dry cows calved now so I can swap around sheds.
    Was full sure milkers would want silage nope nearly all walked into shed had a look and walked back out
    Only 6 in there now picking a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,825 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

This is the first yr ever here we can try start things off any way right sure last yr I had whole farm grazed by now
    very hard to compare 1 year with the next. I just deal with whats happening now

very hard to compare 1 year with the next. I just deal with whats happening now

Agree with comparing but no substitute for good planning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Had planned to finish first round by 01/04 but going to move that to 10/04. More high DM bales for the girls. Only out by day was out day and night. No fert out but following with slurry. 20% grazed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Agree with comparing but no substitute for good planning

So long as your prepared to continually adjust the plan to factor in what's happening on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

What dry matter are ye lads working off?

Midfield9 wrote: »
    What dry matter are ye lads working off?

18 on anything not grazed stuff that us if be saying 14-16 depending on how long ago it rained.
    Great day here today

18 on anything not grazed stuff that us if be saying 14-16 depending on how long ago it rained.
    Great day here today

Wdf did I say that.
    Fcuking sleeting here now

Muckit wrote: »
    So long as your prepared to continually adjust the plan to factor in what's happening on the ground

Spot on, that's what I mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Wdf did I say that.
    Fcuking sleeting here now

Irish summer here today.

I think a lot of these % grazed by dates are more of a guide thrown out by Teagasc for lads that aren't measuring at all. Remember most farmers still don't measure grass. If u are measuring then watching AFC and cover/LU are much more relevant than any dates or %'s.

I think a lot of these % grazed by dates are more of a guide thrown out by Teagasc for lads that aren't measuring at all. Remember most farmers still don't measure grass. If u are measuring then watching AFC and cover/LU are much more relevant than any dates or %'s.
    After joining a very good grass group this yr going to learn lots about grass
    And ill get told to fcuk off if i don't measure

After joining a very good grass group this yr going to learn lots about grass
    And ill get told to fcuk off if i don't measure

With the facilitator you have you'll learn an awful lot more. Very practical and not a know all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭the_blue_oval

Well lads, going to give this grass measuring a go as soon as things calm down a bit.. have both plate meter and shears here on farm but which one would ye recommend using? I know the plate meter wouldn't be as accurate on poached ground but I think it seems like less work than the cut and weigh...

And any tips for a beginner would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭visatorro

join discussion group, look up old grass measuring thread here. a lot of reading but a lot of well written explanations and instructions. will give you a good head start.

Well lads, going to give this grass measuring a go as soon as things calm down a bit.. have both plate meter and shears here on farm but which one would ye recommend using? I know the plate meter wouldn't be as accurate on poached ground but I think it seems like less work than the cut and weigh...

First off put plate meter back in the garage.

Grazed out well 150
    Grass fit to graze and if left a few days too strong 1500
    Perfect to graze 1300-1400
    Silage 3500
    Up to welly toes 400 ankle 1000

Start off using 4 measurements

Walk farm and write down which paddock best fits the figure

Cut and weigh every 3rd paddock to train yourself.

In 3 wks you'll be expert the plate meter will be rusty and you'll only have to cut and weigh a very odd paddock

Two experts can walk the same paddock and be 300 of a difference. It doesn't matter as your only looking for an average.

The grazed paddock is a great way to train. You measure 1200 you know the area and the number of cows so they should get so many grazings. Too many you underestimate too few you overestimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Great synopsis by frazzled. Get going is key and you can fine tune with time and experience. Just walking the fields weekly is a learning experience.

Cheers lads.

Is the platemeter very inconsistent or why are you saying to stay away from it?

Cheers lads.

No it's very accurate on residuals. I had one but rely on eyeballing

• Advertisement

Cheers lads.

Nothing wrong with plate meter. Just an unnecessary expense. You'll train your eye after a a while and ye won't need anything.
    Its like being able to tell the early signs of a cow coming bulling or what weight or condition a cow is in

Nothing wrong with plate meter. Just an unnecessary expense. You'll train your eye after a a while and ye won't need anything.

Theres one gathering dust in the shed that the father got years ago, so it would be no expense to me to use one until I train the eye to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Cattle will have to go back in. Paddocks have allowed me to get 3 weeks grazing in that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. Got a heavy cover on reseeded ground grazed so happy with that.

Reseeds are green whereas old swards are yellow with zero growth

1 March 27% grazed,bit behind target of 30%.weather for last week has slowed things .cows housed from 12 o clock last Monday till Tuesday am but back out since albeit only for 3/4 hours after each milking.clean out has been pretty good considering and little ground damage.have to balance beteween getting enough dm and energy into cows.my rocket fuel wraps and wholecrop are working a treat and cows holding condition and milking very well,fat and p for feb was 4.78 and 3.79 so happy with that.once weather settles more grass and less wraps will be offered to catch up.lot of slurry to catch up on too

1 March 27% grazed,bit behind target of 30%.weather for last week has slowed things .cows housed from 12 o clock last Monday till Tuesday am but back out since albeit only for 3/4 hours after each milking.clean out has been pretty good considering and little ground damage.have to balance beteween getting enough dm and energy into cows.my rocket fuel wraps and wholecrop are working a treat and cows holding condition and milking very well,fat and p for feb was 4.78 and 3.79 so happy with that.once weather settles more grass and less wraps will be offered to catch up.lot of slurry to catch up on too

Incredible constituents again MJ and with high yielding cows, a lot of guys wouldn't get p and f like that with cows doing half their yield. Take a bow!

• Advertisement

Incredible constituents again MJ and with high yielding cows, a lot of guys wouldn't get p and f like that with cows doing half their yield. Take a bow!

Havnt looked at computer for yields but v happy with solids,will take a hit mid March though.a lot of cows and heifers calved early to mid feb so expecting the usual drop after 6 weeks.weather to pick up mid week so hopefully more grass and will proably cut out wraps and leave In wholecrop .will give cows an hour of it before evening milking ,about 3 kg dm and no more.have to say I'm impressed with how it's feeding with grass.tested over 30% starch and lots of grain ,guess that's what's keeping fat so high.

Cows going into a resees we did in 2013 tonight.
    Was ploughed to reseed.
    Grew feck all in 2013 and early 14
    Got real well rotted dung in late 14 and has completely turned around since cover of 1000 on it worms casts everywhere.

Reseed we did last autumn after bursting our of it too since it got N
    Cover of 350 now and was feck all
    Going to start into it near end if week
    Hope it takes off now after it

mbIDkS.jpg
    Is this to tight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

mbIDkS.jpg
    Is this to tight

If it's reseeds probably not. If older pasture you have to be compromising cow performance unless extra concentrates going in. Probably compromising performance on reseed too but big return with tillering by doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

mbIDkS.jpg
    Is this to tight

With that rolling land your in wider castledockrel area, between Ballindaggin and main scorthy bunclody road?! ;)

If it's reseeds probably not. If older pasture you have to be compromising cow performance unless extra concentrates going in. Probably compromising performance on reseed too but big return with tillering by doing it.

Dad reckons I've gone too hard on it.
    Last September reseed
    fingers crossed it comes back well now

Blackgrass wrote: »
    With that rolling land your in wider castledockrel area, between Ballindaggin and main scorthy bunclody road?! ;)

The windmills give it away.
    castledockrel right behind that hill.
    not too far from balindaggin or bunclody

The windmills give it away.
    castledockrel right behind that hill.
    not too far from balindaggin or bunclody

Nice land in that you can work with it if you get me, but as most don't get what you keep saying can be very hungry!!

Blackgrass wrote: »
    Nice land in that you can work with it if you get me, but as most don't get what you keep saying can be very hungry!!

Second time that field has been tilled since is was in barley. Still fcukin furrows in it

Second time that field has been tilled since is was in barley. Still fcukin furrows in it

next time work at 30 degree odd angles rather than straight with previous pass as levels humps and hollows ;). Can be a pia though in some fields ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement