Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price to fell and price of trees

Options
  • 12-06-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Quick one, would anyone know (Ballpark) the cost for felling two oaks trees and would anyone know what each oak could be sold for. Oaks are roughly 60ft high, mature.

(Background is that they need to go for planning - sightlines. Plan to get limited felling license also)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

Some contractors will fell for free if they get to keep the timber

• Registered Users Posts: 11 newbuild2013

Yeah, someone said that but I wanted to know what I getting stung on that deal. As in cost to fell trees would be 400 but price to sell trees would be 800 (figures made up), hence looking for both prices

Is it not illegal to fell mature hardwood trees ?

Jassus I hope not or I'm in a whole heap of trouble...

Spoke to the lady today in the Felling office and she didn't mention that....did say i needed to get a limited felling license though....

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/felling/FA1LimitedFellingApplication.pdf

That PDF doesn't tell me what I can and not cut ? or I didn't read it long enough lol.

Surely on the most deforested land in the whole of Europe you can't just cut a mature tree ?

I have heard of people getting into trouble for cutting trees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's perfectly legal to fell any tree, provided you've applied for and received a Felling Licence, which the OP has stated they're going to do.

Really ? so you can cut any tree even fully mature trees ? I thought they would be somewhat protected ? :eek:

How likely are they to refuse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Quick one, would anyone know (Ballpark) the cost for felling two oaks trees and would anyone know what each oak could be sold for. Oaks are roughly 60ft high, mature.

(Background is that they need to go for planning - sightlines. Plan to get limited felling license also)

if you get someone to cut it up, keep the wood yourself, a wood stove would go nice in ur new house :D

btw last time i heard a guy saying he charged 30 euro per hour to saw a tree into blocks with his chainsaw on hire,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Really ? so you can cut any tree even fully mature trees ? I thought they would be somewhat protected ? :eek:

There is a TPO (Tree Protection Order) process provided for in Irish law, but it doesn't appear to be availed of much; see THIS THREAD for more.

Felling licence applications are dealt with by the Forestry Service, but they liaise with other interested parties before issuing/denying them: county councils, Parks & Wildlife, etc.

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    There is a TPO (Tree Protection Order) process provided for in Irish law, but it doesn't appear to be availed of much; see THIS THREAD for more.

Felling licence applications are dealt with by the Forestry Service, but they liaise with other interested parties before issuing/denying them: county councils, Parks & Wildlife, etc.

I just saw the thread, exactly what I've noticed and people turn a blind eye. That is regular illegal tree felling to sell firewood.

But fair play to the OP for even looking for a licence even for caring about it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Did the Planning authorities say they had to go, or are you surmising this? Depending on the answer to this, I have a number of other observations.

In the meantime, don't even consider having the 2 Oaks cut down for firewood, Get them properly assessed- if in good condition with a good healthy diameter, they could be worth a lot to a responsible furniture timber buyer, who would arrange for their safe harvesting and a good price to you.

Have a look at this. http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/advice/felling_and_grading_hardwoods.asp This was a 2004 article, but it suggests that top quality Oak should command up to €280 per cubic metre at that time. You could consider putting the 2 trees up for auction..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Suckler

I got a quote to fell one large spruce tree, 60ft+ , €500 including cutting it up

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Did the Planning authorities say they had to go, or are you surmising this? Depending on the answer to this, I have a number of other observations.

In the meantime, don't even consider having the 2 Oaks cut down for firewood, Get them properly assessed- if in good condition with a good healthy diameter, they could be worth a lot to a responsible furniture timber buyer, who would arrange for their safe harvesting and a good price to you.

Have a look at this. http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/advice/felling_and_grading_hardwoods.asp This was a 2004 article, but it suggests that top quality Oak should command up to €280 per cubic metre at that time. You could consider putting the 2 trees up for auction..

Planning stipulated 90m sightlines which meant that two trees have to go because they are right on the road. Just to call out we are replanting 10 oaks to supplement them and over 40 other trees also. I certainly do not like cutting down the ones that are there but council deem necessary for safety reasons :(

Planning stipulated 90m sightlines which meant that two trees have to go because they are right on the road. Just to call out we are replanting 10 oaks to supplement them and over 40 other trees also. I certainly do not like cutting down the ones that are there but council deem necessary for safety reasons :(

That being the case, you ought to have no trouble getting a Felling Licence. If the house was built, you probably wouldn't even need it, unless a preservation order had been placed on the trees, which of course is countered by the fact that the council has deemed them to be dangerous. You are doing what you can by doing the re-plant, so I wouldn't forsee problems.

In relation to the trees themselves, get someone to value them- You may be able to sell them standing to a contractor who will maximise the board feet that they will produce. That is assuming they are not forked all over the place, and have a good supply of merchantable boards in them. If they are deemed not suitable for anything other than firewood, then so be it.

Regardless of the final destination for the timber, I strongly recommend that you get an established contractor to knock them, with proper methods, machinery etc., and especially insurances, given the proximity to the road.

Make a few photos available and I'm sure you will get more helpful advice.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

got 550 e for 5 standing beach trees

Just to provide close out to this thread. I applied for and received Limited Felling license. Couple of things to note, the first is that it takes some time, roughly 2 months (though I wasn't pushing it that much). Also as soon as you apply the Felling department will usually issue you a prohibition notice as standard to allow them to inspect the trees, which is delivered by a garda to your door. This I didn't expect and never nice to have garda coming to your door first thing in the morning. (herself thought some was dead). I would say that I've heard a few stories along the way from people cutting down trees and running into issues, so very necessary to get license beforehand.

Also received quotes for this work at about 400 per tree full cut up and mulched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I agree with felling license but that's a serious waste of Garda time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Just to call out we are replanting 10 oaks to supplement them and over 40 other trees also.(

Fair enough. If you haven't purchased the saplings already try to get oaks grown from genuine Irish seed. Ideally all trees grown for amenity / environmental reasons should be of this type. Many in gardens centres are not. Several online companies sell oaks from Irish seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

Does anyone know if a tree will survive after being accidentally chainsawed? It is only a partial cut and was stopped in time but these are mature trees in a garden and really need to be maintained.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

How much of the tree's circumference has been cut and how deep? What species?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    How much of the tree's circumference has been cut and how deep? What species?

Its an old ash tree, there was a guy supposed to be felling trees on a site adjacent to ours, it was actually our neighbour who stopped him. In terms of circumference I would estimate less than a quarter and over six inches deep. It overhangs into our neighbours so safety is a concern as its a very windy site.

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Not that fella the lads were talking about cutting ash butts without permission on other peoples land, chancing his arm on your trees by any chance?

Did the neighbour that stopped him own the land he's supposed to be cutting on and he just genuinely missed a boundary line?

Not that fella the lads were talking about cutting ash butts without permission on other peoples land, chancing his arm on your trees by any chance?

Did the neighbour that stopped him own the land he's supposed to be cutting on and he just genuinely missed a boundary line?

To be fair I think it was a genuine mistake on his part, the area we live in is heavily wooded. He was employed by another neighbour who had given him less than specific instructions. But if you saw the area he was attempting to fell, common sense was not on the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

On the estate I work, we have protection and preservation orders for many of the trees. We have some of the largest ashes and oaks in Ireland. No one really knows about this. We keep it that way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If it is cut 6'' in I imagine you will need to take it down. It would be very dangerous. If your neighbour has a house insurance policy then it is quite possible you can get it taken down under that. It would be dangerous to leave it there as over years it will rot from the inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

GY A1 wrote: »
    btw last time i heard a guy saying he charged 30 euro per hour to saw a tree into blocks with his chainsaw on hire,

He obviously didn't have all the qualifications or insurance then, if anything happened him while cutting up the tree the man that owned the property would have to pay up.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    He obviously didn't have all the qualifications or insurance then, if anything happened him while cutting up the tree the man that owned the property would have to pay up.

What ?

gtansey44 wrote: »
    To be fair I think it was a genuine mistake on his part, the area we live in is heavily wooded. He was employed by another neighbour who had given him less than specific instructions. But if you saw the area he was attempting to fell, common sense was not on the job.

I think that, while you could try to save it, the location is simply too dangerous to take any chances. Get together with your neighbour and have it taken down now. If you don't, and it splits and part falls on your neighbour's property in future years, it will be your fault, as will any resulting damage, not his.

• Advertisement
Advertisement