Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser Malware

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

jsa112 wrote: »
    don't waste your money, if mbam isn't finding anything then spyhunter is BSing you

try this, download combofix, run it and post the log it gives

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Oh yeah, wasn't planning on buying it. Assumed it was the old trick of saying the computer was riddled, but there was one programme alright in the IE folder that I removed.

ComboFix isn't compatible with Windows 8.1 and it doesn't run on compatibility mode, so I can't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

don't waste your money, if mbam isn't finding anything then spyhunter is BSing you

try this, download combofix, run it and post the log it gives

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

It's not.
    Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Oh yeah, wasn't planning on buying it. Assumed it was the old trick of saying the computer was riddled, but there was one programme alright in the IE folder that I removed.

ComboFix isn't compatible with Windows 8.1 and it doesn't run on compatibility mode, so I can't use it.

Spyhunter is very good. I'm not going to go into it too much here. PM'ing instead. I asked for the Screenshots, as I wanted to see what was caught by them, and not by the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Can you check your DNS settings ?

1.Run a nslookup against boards.ie and post back the results.

2. Check that your not routing your HTTP connections through a web server proxy and could be intercepting the page and injecting ads.

Tools->Internet Options->Connections tab->Lan Settings button

http://www.lagado.com/proxy-test

3. Also post back a traceroute to boards.ie

4. Use a tool called autoruns by sysinternals, this will show all service started on boot up and within the browser such as addons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I managed to get this fixed in the end, without losing any of my Firefox data etc by moving some things about and re-installing FF fully.

Thanks a million to everyone that helped, I really appreciate it. I was never here before, but this is a gem of a forum with plenty of helpful people.

Allyall, I'm trying to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. If you could make space so I can send it on, that'd be great.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I managed to get this fixed in the end, without losing any of my Firefox data etc by moving some things about and re-installing FF fully.

Thanks a million to everyone that helped, I really appreciate it. I was never here before, but this is a gem of a forum with plenty of helpful people.

Allyall, I'm trying to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. If you could make space so I can send it on, that'd be great.

Sorry, Cleaned it out now.

Hopefully this is what helped. My fault for not mentioning it along with the reset earlier.. :o
    --
    But if anyone has similar problems in future, this may be the quicker fix.
    --

Do this after any scans (Clean Reinstall of Firefox) If it's 64 Bit Windows:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox to C:\Program Files (x86)\OldFirefox
    If it's 32 Bit Windows
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox to C:\Program Files\OldFirefox
    Run the installer you downloaded. It should automatically use your existing settings.

- Sometimes plugins may not appear in the new installation, but they will be in the OldFirefox folder.
    If something is missing, check here:
    C:\Program Files\OldFirefox\Plugins
    C:\Program Files\OldFirefox\browser\plugins

It may save someone a lot of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Does Combofix work on Windows 8.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

no

Which is better AdBlock or AdBlockPlus or should I add on the two? And I want to download Windows Defender but it won't because Laptop has McAfee pre-installed. Is McAfee any good? Something called SmartSearch is also pre-installed, is it any good or is it just taking up space?

Which is better AdBlock or AdBlockPlus or should I add on the two? And I want to download Windows Defender but it won't because Laptop has McAfee pre-installed. Is McAfee any good? Something called SmartSearch is also pre-installed, is it any good or is it just taking up space?

Either would be fine, but not both. I use Adblock Plus.

Smart Search isn't yet available in Ireland (afaik), and that's probably not a bad thing, as it's giftwrapped to look like a good thing for the user, while it is gathering data for the advertisers.
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/the-problem-with-windows-81-smart-search.html

If you are not paying for McAfee, then uninstall it and try Windows Defender.

run adwcleaner it should remove smart search

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

• Advertisement

run adwcleaner it should remove smart search

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Smart Search comes with Windows 8.1.

Yeah it's an 8.1. Thanks.

Am thinking this .1 could be a whole lotta trouble for the sake of a decimal point. Re-installed Chrome. It's now as slow as my last banjaxed pooter and now I can't open Yahoo.

I have about 40 Malware Scanner things running so as not to catch any bad guys! :pac: I guess all those could be slowing it down though? Well if I see one feckin' worm or trojan or whatever I'll go berserk. People what is pepperflash?! Is it bad or is it good?! I think I remember looking it up before and it seemed to be suggested that it was a baddie. I un-installed Chrome when it was going slow and through having a few cross words with Internet Explorer I in-advertently opened up Google Chrome! Even though it was supposed to be un-installed ...:rolleyes: And anyways in the Google Folder is this thing called Pepperflash.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Hey Guys,
    Every now and then chrome gets infected by some sort of malware, mystartsearch and gets flooded with ads. I run adwcleaner, windows defendor, ccleaner and uninstall & reinstall chrome and everything fine. But I seem to have to go through this process every few weeks when chrome restarts while i'm on it and it's infected again.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on? Thank you!

you must be installing some "good" toolbar/extension/program that is re-infecting you

Advertisement