Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wont stop going to toilet in the house

Options
  • 24-01-2021 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys.

Apart from bring to the vet, what should I do in this situation (be getting prepared for).

I have a 16-year-old (had him since 2005) shih tzu pom mix, he has a usual daily routine, gets walked every 2 days for 10 mins (cos he can’t really go longer).

Lately he's been going to the toilet (1's and sometimes 2's) in the house.
    He doesn’t even go to the door for us to let him out, he just goes.

Right there I just came in and he had gone in the kitchen (somewhere in the last 2hrs), I cleaned it up etc. He went over and drank loads of water then ran into the sitting room and went again, not even to the back door.

Like, is he forgetting his routine of going to the door, is it an infection, or just age?
    20130912_234914.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

cLQWf6HpvNCoXjp27

8zBCKDjjd9bwUcrX8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hey Guys.

Apart from bring to the vet, what should I do in this situation (be getting prepared for).

I have a 16-year-old (had him since 2005) shih tzu pom mix, he has a usual daily routine, gets walked every 2 days for 10 mins (cos he can’t really go longer).

Right there I just came in and he had gone in the kitchen (somewhere in the last 2hrs), I cleaned it up etc. He went over and drank loads of water then ran into the sitting room and went again, not even to the back door.

Like, is he forgetting his routine of going to the door, is it an infection, or just age?
    20130912_234914.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

cLQWf6HpvNCoXjp27

8zBCKDjjd9bwUcrX8

Any change in a dogs behaviour requires a full vet check up and given his age he 100 needs a vet trip ASAP.

Drinking loads of water, weeing and pooing in the house can be signs of all sorts of medical issues ... diabetes, Cushing, infection, cognitive impairment etc

Please bring him to the vet

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Yes 16 is a great age and medical issues especially with kidneys vet check needed a thorough one as his quality of life is in the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Dog had his Vet appointment today folks.
    Urine sample is grand, no white blood cells present or any blood in the urine.
    Arthritis in front paw is expected at his age.
    Walking the expected distance and speed for his age.
    Slight heart murmur, nothing to worry about. He's on antibiotics for a week to see does he perk up much, have to report back in a week.
    The going to the toilet in the living room isn’t down to bowel issues but he might need a bit of retraining.
    Given his age, there’s no reason to have to put him down as he's active for his age and not in pain.
    If he sleeps most of the day, there’s nothing to worry about also, it’s just his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

great to hear hes not in bad shape for 16 well done you for being a good owner, good luck teaching an old dog new tricks :) !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Dog had his Vet appointment today folks.
    Urine sample is grand, no white blood cells present or any blood in the urine.
    Arthritis in front paw is expected at his age.
    Walking the expected distance and speed for his age.
    Slight heart murmur, nothing to worry about. He's on antibiotics for a week to see does he perk up much, have to report back in a week.
    The going to the toilet in the living room isn’t down to bowel issues but he might need a bit of retraining.
    Given his age, there’s no reason to have to put him down as he's active for his age and not in pain.
    If he sleeps most of the day, there’s nothing to worry about also, it’s just his age.

Could it be dementia? That happens dogs, I believe. How would the vet test for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

volchitsa wrote: »
    Could it be dementia? That happens dogs, I believe. How would the vet test for that?

I’m not sure there is a specific test .. it’s more about behaviour of the dog / age etc but yes your spot on it absolutely is a possibility

There is medication that may be able to help..

Also these are great too:

http://www.vetplusglobal.com/products/aktivait/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Did the vet prescribe anything for his arthritis or just dismiss it? I’d be worried the dog could have something going on with their spine if they’re incontinent like that.

tk123 wrote: »
    Did the vet prescribe anything for his arthritis or just dismiss it? I’d be worried the dog could have something going on with their spine if they’re incontinent like that.

Dismissed it as old age. He did a full back and leg check and said everything was normal apart for the front left paw which we knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hey Guys.

Urgency and frequency in old age affect many critters as I know at nearly 80 . Bless your caring at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

If there’s someone home with him all day, I’d suggest just bringing him outside every hour or so to his usual toilet spots. It might avoid those accidents in the house. Does he pee inside during the night or sleep through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP there was a post on one of the CAM FB pages where the dog was going to the loo in the house - a lot of people recommended adding fibre to bulk out the poos so the dog would feel it more so might be an idea to try.

tk123 wrote: »
    OP there was a post on one of the CAM FB pages where the dog was going to the loo in the house - a lot of people recommended adding fibre to bulk out the poos so the dog would feel it more so might be an idea to try.

Good idea TK. I'll see what fibre is best to add to his food. He does also have nuts for a dog his size

Advertisement