Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stoat or weasel

Options
  • 15-01-2021 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

i was out walking in limerick county over xmas..saw a stoat or a weasel..never saw one before....still not sure what which one it was...he/she was in black in colour....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

thebourke wrote: »
    i was out walking in limerick county over xmas..saw a stoat or a weasel..never saw one before....still not sure what which one it was...he/she was in black in colour....

both the same thing....

if it was genuinely black, with no white parts, it was more than likely an otter... but, depends whether you were near water or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

arccosh wrote: »
    both the same thing....

if it was genuinely black, with no white parts, it was more than likely an otter... but, depends whether you were near water or not?

yes it was near a waterway near the university of limerick..i couldnt see any white..it was probably the size of a small cat...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

thebourke wrote: »
    yes it was near a waterway near the university of limerick..i couldnt see any white..it was probably the size of a small cat...

There are no Weasels in Ireland and our Stoat is quite small, about the size of a 'slim' rat. I'd imagine it was more likely a Mink, female would be about 50cm long, male up to 65cms and they frequent water.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

There are no Weasels in Ireland and our Stoat is quite small, about the size of a 'slim' rat. I'd imagine it was more likely a Mink, female would be about 50cm long, male up to 65cms and they frequent water.....

So a weasel is weaselly recognised, while a stoat is stoatally different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭geotrig

Could it have been a pine marten? Probably more likely than a mink I would imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

geotrig wrote: »
    Could it have been a pine marten? Probably more likely than a mink I would imagine

I would hazard mink are far more common than pine martens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Black and smallish suggests Mink. Stoat is brown with a clearer patch, usually seen running quickly across small lanes. And otter would be a good bit bigger.

Stoats would also almost always be on the move, as if there are getting late somewhere. Stoats would be smaller than mink too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There are no Weasels in Ireland

are we 101% sure of that? not even introduced? or escaped from a nature farm?

fryup wrote: »
    are we 101% sure of that? not even introduced? or escaped from a nature farm?

Never say never, as Mr Bond might say, but we don't have Weasels.
    The confusion arose when British naturalists first saw the Irish Stoat and thought it was an intermediate form between the Weasel and the Stoat. Our Stoat, Mustela erminea hibernica, is an indigenous sub species and is smaller than the British variety. The thinking is that it can occupy a niche which covers both 'bases'. In Britain the Stoat got bigger and the Weasel got smaller to allow both to co-exist.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but if they were here, they'd thrive yes?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    but if they were here, they'd thrive yes?

Well they'd have more competition for food than in Britain 'cause the Irish Stoat, being smaller, already occupies part of that 'void'. But who knows, the climate mightn't agree with them either.....

Advertisement