Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs.ie?- ok or avoid

Options
  • 28-12-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Just starting a search for a family pet.
    Came across this site and wondering if it is legit(seems to be in fairness). But with the current situation and puppy farming I want to be sure etc.
    FWIW looking for a small Yorkie or similar- does not need to be pure breed etc.
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Avoid. It took over from another popular website who removed their dog section. If being pure breed does not matter, your best bet is a Reputable Rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Knine wrote: »
    Avoid. It took over from another popular website who removed their dog section. If being pure breed does not matter, your best bet is a Reputable Rescue.

Rescue is preferable but not always the best bet. A lot of rescues have issues that might need an experienced new owner. Sometimes buying a puppy is the right option for the new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Rescues have had very little this year, but traditionally the "Christmas" dogs start appearing at rescues from early March when people who bought on a whim realise the work a dog takes (which the dog repays multiple times)

So put your name with rescues and they may come across something.

Rescues also take dogs in from genuine owners who genuinely can no longer take care of the dog.

Rescue is preferable but not always the best bet. A lot of rescues have issues that might need an experienced new owner. Sometimes buying a puppy is the right option for the new owner.

Lol you are preaching to the wrong person. The OP said they don''t mind if the dog is not a pure breed. The only people intentionally breeding cross breeds are doing it purely for monetary gain - greeders. If they do decide they want a pedigree dog, they should go through the proper channels rather than an online puppy farmer selling site. I am actually a Breed Club Rep for the IKC!

Lol you are preaching to the wrong person. The OP said they don''t mind if the dog is not a pure breed. The only people intentionally breeding cross breeds are doing it purely for monetary gain - greeders. If they do decide they want a pedigree dog, they should go through the proper channels rather than an online puppy farmer selling site. I am actually a Breed Club Rep for the IKC!

Didn't mean to come across as preaching sorry about that. What would you recommend to do for a pure bred now. Contact the ikc?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

Go and see the dogs

Dunfyy wrote: »
    Go and see the dogs

But how do know they're available . Where do u look other than dogs.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just a reminder that posts on where to source a dog are not permitted at present. Posts are vearing towards that question. If it continues this thread will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Rescues can have puppies also. Seized at the port. Dogs arriving at the centres pregnant.
    Best to contact the rescues and get your name on a waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

Dunfyy wrote: »
    Go and see the dogs

This is what I would do as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I know of somebody locally who paid a good bit for their retriever pup (more than I'd pay from the breed club) saw the mother who "looked like a retriever" and is the proud owner of a lab/collie cross. o_O Now whether they wheeled in a retriever for show when they were visiting I don't know but buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

pet bond is a site where vets are involved and people are vetted.
    https://petbond.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Scmag111

Dogs.ie is a terrible site. No better than it’s predecessor. One example of their approach is that even though they have an alert on the site saying that it’s illegal to sell puppies under 8 weeks old they still allow them to be advertised and sold.

I know someone who contacted a breeder for a King Charles from the site and he was going to sell it at just over 7 weeks.

pet bond is a site where vets are involved and people are vetted.
    https://petbond.ie/

A quick glance shows one place with 12 breeding dogs.. which is alarm bells for me.

People need to get out of the mentality of buying a dog online - like it’s a dog.. not a pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

tk123 wrote: »
    A quick glaze shows one place with 12 breeding dogs.. which is alarm bells for me.

People need to get out of the mentality of buying a dog online - like it’s a dog.. not a pizza.

Petbond.ie was set up as a valid site for registered breeders and managed by vets and approval from various bodies including Dogs Trust.

So you will see breeders, but they are fully registered and comply with the highest standards.

I think people have to move away from the notion that you must only get a dog from a rescue.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Petbond.ie was set up as a valid site for registered breeders and managed by vets and approval from various bodies including Dogs Trust.

So you will see breeders, but they are fully registered and comply with the highest standards.

I think people have to move away from the notion that you must only get a dog from a rescue.

12 breeding dogs of 3 different breeds sounds like a puppy farm no matter what website they’re on.

I’m not looking for a rescue btw.. But I’m also not looking for an insta-pup, hence I’ve been waiting almost a year.

Darc19 wrote: »

Have a look at a few of the ads on that site. No actual Reputable Breeder needs to use these places to sell puppies. The puppies generally have homes before they are even born!

Aa for DT, they are a business!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

Are you allowed buy a pet outside your 5k?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No, you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭apache

It's been used a lot as an excuse at Covid checkpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

5k only refers to exercise. There is no limit for other journeys, provided they are essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Helgagirl

I am not a person who cares about a dog being full bred, I have two cross breed dogs myself. A family member recently bought a lovely pup which they found on dogs.ie. Looking at the site what I can't understand is how people are selling what are basically mongrels, and getting away with calling them a designer name, labradoodle etc. and it bugs me. At the end of the day if both parents are not from the same breed it's a mongrel. Prices for these dogs are ridiculous and they have them listed under the breed as one of the parent's breed, and when you look further into the descriptions they will state that the pups are two breeds mixed. Mongrels! It's a new trend lately which I find annoying!

Designer cross breeds have been around since the 1960s so they are certainly not a new phenomenon. Unscrupulous people have been ripping people off for approximately 60 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Looking at getting a puppy for the family. Come across one we like on this website from a local person. But I don't know how reputable the website is, I don't know how to ensure that everything is above board.

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

Looking at getting a puppy for the family. Come across one we like on this website from a local person. But I don't know how reputable the website is, I don't know how to ensure that everything is above board.

I think the puppies should be IKC registered as a minimum. This ensures the mom is not having too many pregnancies.

I would also inquire about health issues and testing. If the breeder claims to be reputable, they should be able to show documentation to back up their assertions.

And always ask to see the family - other puppies, parents, etc. Are they happy? Are the healthy? Are they curious? Ask what they have been eating. Recommendations, etc.

Never buy a puppy out of sympathy. If they look unwell, shy, etc. run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭pauly58

Do your research with potential health problems , most breed clubs are very helpful. It's rare to see pups on Dogs.ie with the parents having been health tested, I'd go to a reputable breeder every time, even if it means a long wait for a pup.

Avoid like the plague. There is currently a litter of terriers for sale of the Breed I run a Club for, they clearly are cross breeds & the Ad was reported as fraud. The websites response? A vet signed them off as pure breed. So a vet would know more than the Breed Club? Needless to say they are not registered or health tested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Avoid like the plague. There is currently a litter of terriers for sale of the Breed I run a Club for, they clearly are cross breeds & the Ad was reported as fraud. The websites response? A vet signed them off as pure breed. So a vet would know more than the Breed Club? Needless to say they are not registered or health tested.

Oh gawd... I saw them :o Serious facepalm moment right there

• Advertisement
Advertisement