Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is with me? 7th Chevron Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    Also going to watch these again, probably watched them all already about 3 times at this stage but the wife has never seen them, we are currently watching Buffy and Angel as she never seen them and wanted to check them out. The humour actually holds up pretty well. anyways.. looking forward to watching Stargate again, ONeill has to be one of the best written and acted SciFi characters ever.

The first two seasons of SG-1 are tough viewing, it's very dated. Soo worth holding out though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

EnterNow wrote: »
    The first two seasons of SG-1 are tough viewing, it's very dated. Soo worth holding out though

I think i only watched them all about a year or two ago, there are some dodgy ones early on alright, you can tell the budget was low, when it hit its stride though it was brilliant, some very funny episodes in it aswell.

I tried to watch Atlantis again at the time, but i couldnt stick with it. We will probably be finished Buffy\Angel in a couple of months and we will have a crack at it. Its definitely up next because she wants to watch it.

I tried to watch Atlantis again at the time, but i couldnt stick with it. We will probably be finished Buffy\Angel in a couple of months and we will have a crack at it. Its definitely up next because she wants to watch it.

I think Atlantis hit the ground running, because the franchise was somewhat established then after 7 seasons of SG-1. This is my second run through of Atlantis, & am up into Season 3 now where it starts getting very good I think. I watched the brilliant "Sateda" episode last night, Ronan v bad ass Wraith on his home planet :cool:

McKay & Beckett are quality in the show too.

That episode is by far my favourite atlantis ep, I always wondered why they didn't do more like it. He was great in that one.

Indeed

• Advertisement

There's another great one set on the Midway Station, with Teal'C & Ronon fighting off a Wraith invasion. The whole "You say that too much" thing was pretty funny

Just thinking now, the wife loved Khal drogo in thrones so she will probably love atlantis haha

Just thinking now, the wife loved Khal drogo in thrones so she will probably love atlantis haha

Her & every other female on the planet probably...the bastard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I <3 Tod! :D

In the original feature film, the team needed to figure out how to dial home to Earth once they arrived on Abidos. Near the beginning of SG-1, Jackson discovers a cartouche containing a list of addresses, which then enable to team to explore further planets/locations etc.

Why were the members of Atlantis, able to just explore freely the Pegasus Galaxy, without having to figure out how to dial back to Atlantis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

In the original feature film, the team needed to figure out how to dial home to Earth once they arrived on Abidos. Near the beginning of SG-1, Jackson discovers a cartouche containing a list of addresses, which then enable to team to explore further planets/locations etc.

Why were the members of Atlantis, able to just explore freely the Pegasus Galaxy, without having to figure out how to dial back to Atlantis?

far as I can remember I think mckay said it first atlantis episode that all the address's were already stored in the atlantis database.

far as I can remember I think mckay said it first atlantis episode that all the address's were already stored in the atlantis database.

Yeah I was thinking that would be the only explanation, I didn't hear or notice it at the time though.

Watched the brilliant "Tao of Rodney" last night, McKay is such a good character.

All the planets and addresses bar the ones the ancients wiped to cover up their mistakes were in the database.

Jernal wrote: »
    All the planets and addresses bar the ones the ancients wiped to cover up their mistakes were in the database.

On Atlantis? Was that specifically mentioned yeah? Cool, suppose it's the only way it makes sense.

How do they figure out how to dial home to Atlantis though? The seventh chevron will always be the symbol of that particular planet {the source planet}, so the address to dial Atlantis will be different on every single planet. I suppose the same can be said of the Milky Way addresses too, Earth will always end with a different symbol/chevron when dialing it, depending on where you are. So if there's 100k addresses in the database, there'd have to be 100k addresses for every planet, to account from all the locations you could dial from...

On Atlantis? Was that specifically mentioned yeah? Cool, suppose it's the only way it makes sense.

How do they figure out how to dial home to Atlantis though? The seventh chevron will always be the symbol of that particular planet {the source planet}, so the address to dial Atlantis will be different on every single planet. I suppose the same can be said of the Milky Way addresses too, Earth will always end with a different symbol/chevron when dialing it, depending on where you are. So if there's 100k addresses in the database, there'd have to be 100k addresses for every planet, to account from all the locations you could dial from...

Is it not first six symbols identify the planet you're dialing. Seventh is your planet of origin and eight is the galaxy you're in. (If using a capable gate)

Is it not first six symbols identify the planet you're dialing. Seventh is your planet of origin and eight is the galaxy you're in. (If using a capable gate)

Yes the first six are the destination, & the seventh is the origin. So how are all the addresses cataloged, given the address is going to be different from every planet that you're dialing from? It's not as if the address is the same from everywhere, so if you have 100k addresses in the Galaxy, you'd have to have the source symbol for all those 100k planets documented too wouldn't you?

Say for example you're dialing Earth, from Abydos. I'll use numbers instead of symbols. The Earth address from Abydos is 1234567, with 7 being the source symbol for Abydos.

Now, say you want to dial Earth from Dakara, 1234567 won't work, as 7 isn't the source anymore. You need to dial 1234568, because 8 is the source symbol for Dakara.

Now, say you want to dial Earth from Chulak, neither 1234567 nor 1234568 will work because the source symbols are wrong. You need to dial 1234569, because 9 is the source symbol for Chulak.

Now, say you want to dial Earth from Langara, neither 1234567, 1234568, nor 1234569 will work because the source symbols are all wrong. You have to dial 123456@, because @ is the source symbol for Langara

And so on. So to say you have a 'list of addresses' isn't quite right, because there is no one address for any planet. It differs from each one. The only way I can think of, is if they were catalogued like:

Earth: 123456 - Source symbol - %
    Chulak: 134679 - Source symbol - 9

Dakara: 946824 - Source symbol 8

Therefore, you can correctly calculate any address I suppose, so say to dial Langara from Chulak would be 3495219.

Prob answered my own question there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

All you have to do is look for the unique symbol on the DHD that identifies the planet. The other six will always be the same. "Jackson has identified the seventh symbol" was mentioned in an episode.

somuj wrote: »
    All you have to do is look for the unique symbol on the DHD that identifies the planet. The other six will always be the same. "Jackson has identified the seventh symbol" was mentioned in an episode.

Was it mentioned that each DHD is different? I don't recall noticing that, & the fact that gates/dhd's can be moved from plant to planet too would seem to suggest they're all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Solitudes. Season one episode eight.

• Advertisement

Watching possibly one of the best episodes. Also the funniest. The one where o neill and teal'c are stuck in a loop. Window of opportunity :D

Watching possibly one of the best episodes. Also the funniest. The one where o neill and teal'c are stuck in a loop. Window of opportunity :D

"In the middle of my backswing!" :D:D

"In the middle of my backswing!" :D:D

Daniel jackson saying to carter. Maybe he read your report :D

Well, just about to start the SG-1 Season 10 finale, "Unending" :(

So, finished SG-1 last night. It was my second run thorough of the show. The finale isn't a huge affair by any means, just a regular, albeit good, episode. I guess the writers/producers etc knew there were going to be movie releases, & didn't need to tie everything up by the finale?

So at this stage, I'm on Atlantis season 4...Id completely forgotten Carter becomes a main character for this season {my second run through of this too}. I'll watch the SG1 movies along the way through Season 4 of Atlantis, & then I'll be onto the final season, before starting....Universe

Cant wait to watch these again now after reading through this. I wonder if we will ever see another stargate show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

So at this stage, I'm on Atlantis season 4...Id completely forgotten Carter becomes a main character for this season {my second run through of this too}. I'll watch the SG1 movies along the way through Season 4 of Atlantis, & then I'll be onto the final season, before starting....Universe

Loved the way they ended Universe.

Gutted with the way they ended Atlantis. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

is anyone following atlantis on sky2 they are showing 2 eps a night its up to season 4 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

MugMugs wrote: »
    Loved the way they ended Universe.

Gutted with the way they ended Atlantis. :(

Stargate SG1 basically had all the endings:

Season 6: Full Circle
    Season 8: Reckoning/Threads/Möbius
    Season 10: Unending

Oh and of course a film to wrap things up.

Still annoyed at the way they just dumped Atlantis however they were quickly running out of ideas for the show as evidenced by the proposed plan for Extinction/Season 6 so maybe it was for the best.

• Advertisement

Finished the Atlantis Season 5 finale last night. I had forgotten to watch Ark of Truth before starting Season 4 of Atlantis, so now I get to watch

Ark of Truth
    Atlantis Season 5 opener episode "Search & Rescue"
    Continuum

Then with Continuum out of the way, the rest of Atlantis Season 5...

Advertisement