Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 dogs ?

• 23-01-2021 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I have a little Bichon (9 months old.) We are a family of asthmatics and one of my daughters is allergic to some dogs (fine around the "hypoallergenic" ones and even some dogs that shed but it's very hard to tell which dogs she will react to). It look us a very long time to find our dog, to get one from a reputable source. We were looking well before the first lockdown. We were refused from several shelters because of her allergy and I understand that they get sick of people asking for designer dogs but we do have a genuine reason for not being able to take particular dogs. Anyway our little doggy loves the company of other dogs. We borrow our friend's dog sometimes so he has a bit of company (when we are in the house, we don't leave them alone). He always seems a little sad the next day, tired too I know. He gets plenty of attention and is never left alone for too long. My husband worked from home a lot even before Covid and I work part time. We have 4 kids.
    Anyway, a friend of my mam's has a dog who is about to have puppies and she has offered us one. We are really tempted by the offer but I'm looking for some advice. I've read really conflicting things on the web. Are dogs happier in pairs or did it upset your dog to have a new dog in the house? I know it's one thing to have a doggy playdate but different to have the dog live there. I think we are so tempted because it took us so long to find our dog we sort of feel like it's now or never. The pup will be a maltichon so I'm hoping it will have a similar temperament to my dog. Any advice is welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

i firmly believe 2 dogs is the best situation as they amuse themselves and are less needy when they have a pal. Also you can go out for 3/4 hours and they sleep and play and are fine that is my experience also the older dog will teach the new pup about the house rules and the pup will follow her and pee when she pees etc. Way easier to have 2 dogs go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The pup could drive your dog mad initially - so you just need to be mindful and manage that - eg stair gates/crate/pen so you can separate them and give your older dog a break when needed. Separate when feeding until they know each other's boundaries etc etc

It's definitely easier with an older dog, the pup will learn a lot from them. My older guy taught my younger one so much - manners around other dogs, I never really lead trained her - she just walked to his heel or beside him, she picked up loads of commands just copying him. She never jumped up at us - again he trained her not to do that. I'm the same - waiting since last year (she died :() and hopefully will have a pup in the next few months as we've all been lost without a second dog - him especially. Honestly I would dread taking a pup on without having him to help me with the childcare lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

When I got my second dog the advice was to wait till dog no. 1 was at least a year old but to add the second dog before dog no. 1s second birthday for best outcome. Is this person offering to give you a pup for nothing or is the offer an offer to sell you one? I would have a good long think about it especially in the case of the latter. Is this person willing to take the pup back if your daughter reacts to it? It is actually dander (flecks of skin) that all dogs shed and not actual hair that causes dog allergies to flare up therefore there is actually no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. Asthma may be a different story but there is no guarantee your daughter would not be allergic to a new pup regardless of whether the dog is a non shedding pure beed or designer breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 18anna

So overall sounds like a second dog is a good idea. I had read that re waiting a year and was hesitating a bit over that alright.

Yes, knew that about the dander and no dog being truly hypoallergenic. She has reacted to dogs that don't have much hair. We investigated a lot before we got our bichon and actually thats why we we looked for a pure breed rather than a mix as thought we might be safer (in saying that this dog will be a mix bichon/maltese). They are selling us the pup but not for the crazy prices of late. A bit more than the vet fees/ food I reckon but I don't mind that as they will be putting in 8-10 weeks work with the pups. Yes they would definitely take the dog back but probably not to keep her themselves but would find another home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Definitely a fan of having 2 dogs! Yes, your own lad will probably need a den that's safe from puppy's silliness, but as he's only 9 months old himself, I would imagine he'll enjoy the silliness too!
    One thing I would strongly encourage is that you get a female pup (with a view to spaying her). Statistically, in a 2-dog household, the male/female combination is by far and away the most successful. It's not something that causes issues until the youngster becomes sexually mature, and neutering often doesn't help, but two males together is a fair bit more likely to cause issues, whilst two girls together is a lot more likely to cause issues, with fighting, possessiveness and... well... bitchiness :o
    I know people will say "hey, I've kept 2 boys/2 girls together and they were great!", but I'm talking statistically here, across populations.
    One male and one female in a 2-dog household is a combination that's vanishingly unlikely to cause issues beyond the occasional noisy squabble.
    So, that's my contribution to your exciting situation! Choose a female puppy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 18anna

Thanks everyone for your advice so far. Yes I had heard that re male/ female. Even though he seems to get on well with male dogs we asked for a female pup if and when the time comes. But then I have been questioning myself re that too as his little doggy playmate is male and we have stayed overnight in a house with another male dog and he loved him too (although that dog was a lovely JRT but after a while wanted a bit of peace from my dog). I presume a female dog would be just as playful with him?
    Our dog has just recently been neutered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Yes, there's no reason why a female wouldn't be just as playful. Just be aware that your fella is very much still in the stage of being categorised by other dogs as being... well... a bit of a gobsh1te :D, it's usually when they get a bit older, from 12 months onwards, that the poop hits the fan. Also be aware that playdates present a very different level of mutual patience to living together 24/7.
    Also, your lad being neutered doesn't need really mean not having to spay your female (though perhaps you intend to anyway?), because when males are living in the same house as a bitch in heat, it can still drive them to distraction... (memories of my long-since-neutered 10kg Westie humping my just-adopted and in-heat 9 month old, 40kg German Shepherd :o:D)

Advertisement