Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice for Landlord

Options
  • 12-11-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Trying to figure out how much notice I have to give my land lord and cant get a straight answer from the RTB.

We have been in our current apartment since May 2013. Went in on an initial 1 year lease. At the end of that period there was a rent review and a new lease of 1 year, although it was never signed by me or my land lord and we have been paying rent ever since with 1 further rent review.

We have now gone sale agreed on our own place and I want to give my landlord the correct notice he is entitled to.

I've read about your tenancy resetting at the end of a lease, but I'm unsure if we need to give him 56 or 84 days notice. Any views?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

You calculate the required notice from the day you moved in.

Your tenancy commenced on the day you moved in / signed the initial lease. Subsequent fixed term contracts signed or unsigned are irrelevant.

Congrats on the house purchase too. I wouldnt give your notice until contracts are exchanged, you have a road to travel with it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Hi there,

Trying to figure out how much notice I have to give my land lord and cant get a straight answer from the RTB.

We have been in our current apartment since May 2013. Went in on an initial 1 year lease. At the end of that period there was a rent review and a new lease of 1 year, although it was never signed by me or my land lord and we have been paying rent ever since with 1 further rent review.

We have now gone sale agreed on our own place and I want to give my landlord the correct notice he is entitled to.

I've read about your tenancy resetting at the end of a lease, but I'm unsure if we need to give him 56 or 84 days notice. Any views?

Thanks.

I wouldnt hand in your notice yet. I would give the ll the heads up that you have gone sale agreed however i wouldnt set in stone your move out date yet. Have an honest chat with him to see what type of notice he requires. Most of the time ll might be ok with a months notice but it all depends on the ll. Buying a house can take anywhere from 3 -12+ so be careful with your notice until its confirmed you have signed the official contracts that you get at closing. A lot of deals fall through for various reasons so youll inevitably be in for a bumpy rodeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Thanks for your answers.

We were going to wait for contracts and make sure survey etc came back OK first.

The LL is decent and Im not seeing any issue if we went longer than notice period he is entitled to. He could have it rented out again tomorrow if he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We have been in our current apartment since May 2013.
    Five years of a Part IV lease, so I'm guessing 20 weeks. If it's a high demand area, your landlord will probably be fine with giving back your deposit with a mutually agreed shorter notice period.

Or you can sublet it out to people until your lease runs out.
    Give the LL the notice when you get the keys. Sooooo much easier to have the place painted when you don't live there. Also stops any panic should something pop up before you get the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭winksblinks

the_syco wrote: »
    Give the LL the notice when you get the keys. Sooooo much easier to have the place painted when you don't live there. Also stops any panic should something pop up before you get the keys.

Problem with that is most of us will struggle to pay both rent and a mortgage for three months.

CardinalJ - I'm the same, moved into my rented place in May 2013 and it 84 days notice if more than 4 years, less than 8 years. Notice has to be issued in writing to the Landlord (not text/email/call). Threshold have a template.

I've given my notice with a month of overlap where I'll have to pay rent/mortgage but it gives me wiggle room in terms of getting into the new house. Interestingly when I gave notice the LL requested rent for the notice period upfront...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

well done on getting sale agreed but wait until your contracts are exchanged sorted then issue notice- anything could still happen until then

The landlord will have no trouble reletting and will likely let you leave early even if you give the required notice.

best of luck!

Advertisement