15-04-2010, 12:07   #46
average_runner

There be no ash fall though?
Advertisement
15-04-2010, 12:12   #47
alibabba

And I only went and watch 2012 last night !

We're all doomed

15-04-2010, 12:17   #48
John mac

So with the lack of con trails, will it mean the temp will rise?

Wierd not seeing any trails usually there are at least 1 every minute and sometimes 5 or 6.
15-04-2010, 12:23   #49

I remember reading about the Laki volcano eruption my 1st year undergrad course. It had a profound effect on life in Europe. A dry haze that persisted for months. Summers were hot, but winters were cold. Famine and death also resulted. If I remember correctly that particular eruption occurred along side other big eruptions across the globe.

I am trying to find that particular book on the net to link. If I find it I will post later. It had a synoptic overview of the entire 1780's. Patterns became jarred with very frequent northern blocking post eruption.
15-04-2010, 12:23   #50
rameire

Quote:
Originally Posted by John mac View Post

Wierd not seeing any trails usually there are at least 1 every minute and sometimes 5 or 6.
its a conspiracy i tells ya.
Advertisement
15-04-2010, 12:23   #51

Quote:

well you couldnt see them anyway in dub with all the cloud.
Hope there is a LARGE increase in temps
15-04-2010, 12:26   #52

Quote:

Not unusual in this type of set up. Lack of contrails is a good signal that the air is very dry at higher levels. The more persistent the contrail, the more chance it will rain

Sat 24 image has big red bold type mentioning the ash plume:

Attached Images
File Type: gif april 15th 2010 Image.gif (994.9 KB, 963 views)

Last edited by Deep Easterly; 15-04-2010 at 12:32.
Thanks from:
15-04-2010, 12:44   #53
phunkymonk

what are the chances of norway flights going ahead tomorrow?ment to be flying to Oslo around 11..
15-04-2010, 12:57   #54
maquiladora

15/04/2010 - 12:01:25

The Irish Aviation Authority has warned that the disruption to flights from the volcanic ash cloud could last days.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/fligh...ys-454024.html
Advertisement
15-04-2010, 13:01   #55
Banned

A photo of the ash cloud approaching Dublin.
My advice - take in your washing.

http://bit.ly/93DkUh

15-04-2010, 13:06   #56
hellboy99

Webcam view in Iceland of Volcano

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

Last edited by hellboy99; 15-04-2010 at 13:24.
15-04-2010, 13:11   #57
Big Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy99 View Post
I don't see it!
15-04-2010, 13:16   #58
Guramoogah

Well, that's the summer gone.

From the IrishTimes: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking16.html
Quote:
How volcano ash can affect the weather

Thu, Apr 15, 2010

Volcanic eruptions sending ash and gas into the atmosphere can have a massive effect on the weather.

In 1815 a huge eruption on the Indonesian island of Sumbawa caused freak weather conditions throughout the world.

Mount Tambora spewed out massive amounts of sulphur dioxide which combined with water vapour to form a sulphuric acid mist that reflected sunlight away from the earth.

That caused such a drop in temperatures that 1816 became known as “the year with no summer”.

Crops failed due to low daytime temperatures, late frosts and abnormally high rainfall, provoking food riots, famine and disease.

In Ireland, rain fell on 142 days that summer and across France the grape harvest was virtually non-existent.

In North America there was snow in June and lakes and rivers froze as far south as Pennsylvania during July and August.

It followed a smaller eruption in Iceland just over 30 years earlier that caused a thick fog of gas virtually wiping out the summer of 1783 across much of Europe and North America.

American statesman and amateur meteorologist Benjamin Franklin wrote of a “constant fog” over Europe and North America that year.
Forecasters say the cloud of ash drifting the across the UK at the moment will not produce anything so momentous but it could still affect the weather.

Brendan Jones, a forecaster with MeteoGroup, the weather arm of the Press Association, said: “If you look back in history there have been some periods where the weather has been changed by big volcanic eruptions like Mount Tambora and Mount St Helen's.

“They have been proved to lower temperatures. There is so much ash in the atmosphere that it reduces the amount of sunlight getting to the ground," he said. "If the ash remains in the atmosphere for weeks or months it can reduce temperatures slightly but we are talking about fractions of degrees.”

In fact the most noticeable result could be more spectacular sunsets as the sun’s rays reflect off the ash cloud.

Mr Jones said: “The sunset lights up the underside of the ash and you could see a glow from the ash in the sky.”

The eruption of Eyjafjallajokull in Iceland, which has sent this cloud of ash into the sky, is the first in nearly 200 years and geophysicists fear it could trigger a much larger explosion of nearby Mount Katla.

Katla is described as “enormously powerful”, and because it lies under a glacier its eruption would cause a huge glacial outburst flood and could spread its shadow over a much larger area.

Met Éireann said today a new phase of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption started around midnight and volcanic ash has been observed in British airspace. It said its Aviation Services Division has warnings in place for the ash to penetrate Irish airspace to the east and southeast this afternoon and evening.

PA

© 2010 irishtimes.com

Last edited by Guramoogah; 15-04-2010 at 13:18.
15-04-2010, 13:16   #59

LAtest RGB satellite animations show the high level plume dying down a bit over the last couple of hours, though that could mean nothing if it erupts again.

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html...LAND/index.htm
Thanks from:
15-04-2010, 13:17   #60
Sponge Bob
Banned

Here it is

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

Hopefully that picture means the ash column has collapsed

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline