Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally lost any advice please?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have found my ancestors back to about 1820 through familysearch.org records and griffiths valuation maps but I'm completely lost with my great great grandparents marriage!

I found a record in family search for my great great grandad which was the only man with his name getting married in the county over a 10 year period, I then found a female married in the same town/year/quarter with the correct first name.....happy days I thought!

Sadly I was told by my great uncle (this couple would be his grandparents) that they were actually first cousins with the same surname who received a dispensation from the bishop to marry :eek:

So going back to family search I found no record of the female half of the couples marriage.....does that make any sense?

I ordered a document from Ireland genealogy where her details were searched for her pension application and it seems to be the woman I was told about -her age and town of birth are about right- so it leaves me completely lost and frustrated!!

I cant get to dublin to get the wedding certificate as I'm on crutches at the moment and the online service only goes back to 1920....

I'd be grateful for any ideas!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

could your g.g grandparents have been known by a different name then there birth names, its an issue ive come across a few times , my g.g grandfather was know as Garth to his family but the names on his marriage and birth certs was Gerald and his wife was Mary but her birth and marriage certs say Maria, maybe try looking under variants of there given names and maybe try looking for the Latin versions

hope that helps in some way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

calibelle wrote: »
    I cant get to dublin to get the wedding certificate as I'm on crutches at the moment and the online service only goes back to 1920....

I'd be grateful for any ideas!!

Sorry to hear you're on crutches.
    The order service you refer to is really only for living people or recently deceased and their related certs. If you want a historic marriage cert, you can order by post or fax to the Roscommon GRO. Here's the details for convenience.

http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Download the marriage form from this website and complete it as best you can - it is also designed for modern use. The main bits to fill in are your own details and credit card section, and in the details about the cert you want, just put in what you have. Then do a cover letter and detail the reference from family search. You will need to include:

Name of person
    Year and quarter of marriage
    Registration district
    Page & Volume number

Tick the box for a research copy cert. You should have it within 5 working days if you fax it. I've never posted but it's not much longer.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

If you haven't already tried, you could also see if the diocese might have a copy of the dispensation. They were recorded in stub books sometimes so they may still have the counterfoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭calibelle

Thanks for the replies.

Pinky I had thought of that but without being sure it is the correct marriage it could be a lost cause - might do it if only to be able to close that line of enquiry.

The dispensation stub sounds good i will try that - is it normal for roots Ireland and family search to have completely different results?

For example the familysearch website shows the male name's marriage but rootsireland shows nothing...all very complicated!

As far as I know, myheritage is just a site where you can put your tree up and link it to others if they are related?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭calibelle

pinkypinky wrote: »
    As far as I know, myheritage is just a site where you can put your tree up and link it to others if they are related?

Yes you're right sorry my brain is fried! I meant roots ireland!

Hmm, well, Roots Ireland is transcribed from handwriting whereas Familysearch is typed indexes. Both are done by volunteers but I would think there's more scope for error with handwriting. Either way, this is bound to be a transcription error, but it's possible that the marriage isn't featured on the Roots Ireland collection AND a typo on the bride's name on familysearch.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement