Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aer lingus flash sale to america

Options
  • 08-10-2020 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

i see aer lingus are doing a 48 hour flash sale to america. whether you get to travel or not is another thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are Irish residents even allowed in to US now? Would be interesting if a refund would have to be provided if refusal was as a result of a blanket ban on the US side.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

as far as i understand Irish citizens are not. perhaps aer lingus are hoping to generate interest and come next year we will be allowed to fly and if not change our flights. just checked skyscanner and some good prices on return flights to san fran for next year also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

Are Irish residents even allowed in to US now? Would be interesting if a refund would have to be provided if refusal was as a result of a blanket ban on the US side.

At the moment we are not, i guess AerLingus are hoping to tempt us to book for the New Year in the hope travel opens back up.

They have some great prices, im tempted to book in the hope we can fly. The flights are up until May 2021 so we can hope! They are offering free flight changes but i have to read more of the t&c's

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

duffysfarm wrote: »
    as far as i understand Irish citizens are not. perhaps aer lingus are hoping to generate interest and come next year we will be allowed to fly and if not change our flights. just checked skyscanner and some good prices on return flights to san fran for next year also

I wonder though, if you need to change it, because you cant fly within their allocated deal time frame, are re-directed to a portal where your flight is now going from €99 to €250, similar to Ryanair. This is independent and different to 'no change your flights fees'. You pay the difference in fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭keroseneboy

I can't seem to find a flight for 99 to the US on the Aer Lingus website as advertised in their flash sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Must purchase a return ticket
    Must stay Saturday night
    Only applies to East Coast but prices to West Coast are also really low

€196.23 Dublin to Washington in Feb, even cheaper than the advertising...
    €314.23 Dublin to SFO or SEA
    €334.23 Dublin to LAX

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Took a gamble and booked. Will see how things are by then.
    Edit...New York in May

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

No entry to america
    To enter to have to be legal resident or us citizen as for refunds aerlingus still not refunded the millions it owes to ticket holders

7.68 million covid cases 212k counted deaths which is undercounted if you did not get covid test and you did your not counted

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Must purchase a return ticket
    Must stay Saturday night
    Only applies to East Coast but prices to West Coast are also really low

€196.23 Dublin to Washington in Feb, even cheaper than the advertising...
    €314.23 Dublin to SFO or SEA
    €334.23 Dublin to LAX

Not a great sale. I got RETURN to California for €240 with WOW air 2 yrs ago from DUBLIN.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Not a great sale. I got RETURN to California for €240 with WOW air 2 yrs ago from DUBLIN.

And then WOW went bust before Covid was even a thing. There is a price point that is clearly unsustainable.

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    No entry to america
    To enter to have to be legal resident or us citizen as for refunds aerlingus still not refunded the millions it owes to ticket holders

7.68 million covid cases 212k counted deaths which is undercounted if you did not get covid test and you did your not counted

I heard COVID in USA was over counted. A relative who works in Medicine there said certain hospitalizations were classed as covid without a positive test result in order to increase funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

That’s nice, you had to stop off in Reykjavik for a while too. There’s a reason WOW don’t exist anymore too...

L1011 wrote: »
    And then WOW went bust before Covid was even a thing. There is a price point that is clearly unsustainable.

Yes I was lucky. I booked WOW Air flight 4 months in advance in 2018. Only drawback was NO preclearance as stopover in Iceland.

Norwegian Air were also cheaper than Aerlingus pre Covid to US

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Norwegian Air were also cheaper than Aerlingus pre Covid to US

Norwegian were losing money hand over fist and pulled out of Irish TATL routes pre-Covid. Blamed aircraft issues but they subbed in aircraft on profitable routes.

In normal times, Aer Lingus offer basically the lowest trans-atlantic fares an airline can without going out of business.

Norwegian were losing money hand over fist and pulled out of Irish TATL routes pre-Covid. Blamed aircraft issues but they subbed in aircraft on profitable routes.

In normal times, Aer Lingus offer basically the lowest trans-atlantic fares an airline can without going out of business.

Thanks for the info. You have great knowledge of Aviation. I am a bargain hunter and seize the opportunity when available. I last travelled to the US (NYC) ( prior to 2018)with Aer Lingus in Nov 2001. Flights were heavily discounted. Excellent service with full meal and drinks on board on that flight. They definitely made a loss on me.

Thanks for the info. You have great knowledge of Aviation. I am a bargain hunter and seize the opportunity when available. I last travelled to the US (NYC) ( prior to 2018)with Aer Lingus in Nov 2001. Flights were heavily discounted. Excellent service with full meal and drinks on board on that flight. They definitely made a loss on me.

November 2001 was after the previous major crisis in aviation.

Not one of your trips was at a viable price in normal times by the sounds of things. Not fair to make a comparison to those prices.

November 2001 was after the previous major crisis in aviation.

Not one of your trips was at a viable price in normal times by the sounds of things. Not fair to make a comparison to those prices.

Depends on what way you look at it.Ryanair obviously have 9.99 viable fares during normal times as I'm a frequent flyer to London with them. It's not viable to fly almost empty planes with expensive fares either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

€314.23 return to SFO is an insanely great price. So its no checked bag and assigned seating, but you do get preclearance

I did manage DUB SFO return with EI out in J and back in Y, assigned seating and checked bag, €997. EI website no trickery. That was 2018 before EI started to ramp up the J fares as demand outstripped supply

Mr.S wrote: »
    There are some serious bargains for April / May

NYC at 200 return
    SFO at 315 return

If the US still denies Irish residents travel at that point and the flights are still operating, I assume you don’t get a refund though?

Where are you seeing those prices? Is there a specific link for these fares?

Edit: Restarted the booking process and noticed the following line:"Travel 01 April until 15 June 2021 - Brilliant bargains to North America for 2021. Fly from €159 each way, as part of a return trip".

Not sure where the €200 return came from

Cheers, 250 return to Newark is the cheapest I could see, or 300 to JFK, which is still a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Site appears to be down?

I'd book instantly if I thought travel would open back up. Does anyone know what the rules are or more importantly what EI will do if the dates rocks up and travel still not allowed? Is it a gamble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

What’s the issue with travel insurance? Hoping to travel with my son and the travel ban doesn’t apply as he is a US citizen. But unwilling to travel without insurance (not even COVID related just in case I get hit by a bus).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

This is all about Aer Lingus kicking the can down the road and trying to raise cash now to cover things going forward. Irish are not banned from America but if travelling from Ireland we are. If you were Irish and living in Mexico City for example for 14 days prior you can enter the USA or some other area without a travel embargo like Dubai or Turkey etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did anyone check the t&cs to see what happens in the event the US wont let people from Ireland entry next April or May? . Can you just get a straight refund or only throw more money at it by moving the flight dates onwards? Would presume moving dates will cost another 100 or maybe 200 so then the bargain is gone

Advertisement