Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakdown outside house. No breakdown assist unless 2km from house

Options
  • 11-08-2020 9:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭

Clutch went on car , rang zurich to get it towed to get repaired , they have just told me they will not give breakdown assist unless you are 2km from your house . She couldn't explain this rule , I said the will push it 2kms away and call back , she said she has logged call and car is at owners address. :confused:

Whats the reasoning behind this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have HomeStart Assistance or Roadside Breakdown Assistance?
    If you are covered for HomeStart Assistance as part of your car insurance policy, and if the mechanical or electrical breakdown occurs in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, we will provide 30 minutes roadside assistance free of charge.
    If you have Roadside Breakdown Assistance as part of your, we can provide you with emergency assistance at the roadside in the unfortunate event that your car suffers a mechanical or electrical breakdown or is damaged as a result of an accident, fire or theft that is covered under your policy.

If the breakdown occurred more than 2km from your home address, we will arrange for 30 minutes of roadside assistance free of charge.

Outside the 50km radius
    If immobilisation occurs more than 50km from your home address and Roadside Assistance proves unsuccessful, you may choose one of the following options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

:
    Whats the reasoning behind this ?

Simply to get your car back home (or to the nearest local garage) in the event of a breakdown so that it's not left stranded someplace where it could incur damage or be stolen etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

biko wrote: »
    Do you have HomeStart Assistance or Roadside Breakdown Assistance?

roadside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

wandererz wrote: »
    Simply to get your car back home (or to the nearest local garage) in the event of a breakdown so that it's not left stranded someplace where it could incur damage or be stolen etc.

What i don't get is if i drive car 2km down the road they will come, but if unlucky enough car breaks down outside your house you are on your own. More insurance sneaky crap anyway they can wiggle out of something they will.

Posts suggesting fraud deleted, will be a ban next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

What i don't get is if i drive car 2km down the road they will come, but if unlucky enough car breaks down outside your house you are on your own. More insurance sneaky crap anyway they can wiggle out of something they will.

It's a cheap, but very valuable, addition to your policy. They didn't add that condition to yourr cover when you phoned them for assistance. If you want bells and whistles, check out how much AA cover will cost you

Yes, home assistance is an extra service they may charge you for.
    Check your documentation.

For instance 123 has it included https://www.123.ie/customer-care/my-policy-cover/motor/additional-benefits/what-does-breakdown-assist-cover

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They're not wiggling out of anything. It's been explained to you in post #3.

Advertisement