Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyatlov pass incident

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I remember a few years ago i bought the book Dead Mountain about this very subject, it really went into great detail about very low frequences and how they can have an effect on humans, some great photos of the hikers too. Also theirs a game based on this mystery called "Kholat". You can get it on steam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's a YouTube channel called Bedtime Stories they've a two part story about the Dyatlov Pass incident and many more intriguing stories.

I often fall asleep listening to them at night.

The narriator is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I don't think the LEMMiNO video answers all the questions. I agree that it's possible the stove caused smoke to build up and they slashed the tent becasue of that, but why leave the safety of all your gear when it wasn't on fire? And why walk away from your camp when it's -30C ? It doesn't make sense.

Some were drunk, fair enough, but the others were sober and they should have seen that the tent had not caught fire, or have at least had the wherewithal to remove the sleeping bags and some clothes.

I don't know what happened, but that just doesn't answer all the questions for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I gather the vid got that part wrong. They found the stove and it hadn't been unpacked so couldn't have caused the panic. Never mind that you can see in pics of the tents not a hint of fire or smoke damage.

Personally I always thought where they pitched their tents was bloody odd in the first place. OK I know I'm a soft shandy drinking, like me comfort Dubliner and outdoors at night is best served up through a window from inside, cheeky claret in hand, but why in God's name choose to pitch your tent in the open, near the summit of a mountain, in an area prone to avalanche in minus eleventy million degrees below zero and with a carnivorous wind whipping through? Not when there's a patch of forest within walking distance which gives far more shelter and would break up a lot of the energy of any snow slippage that was likely to kick off? That's what has always puzzled me. :confused::confused:

Now one could let one's imagination run wild and imagine in the forest something that freaked them right out so they felt no choice but to camp away from it in the most exposed position you could find.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

From the BBC article
    Others believe that the violent injuries they suffered were caused by the Russian Yeti, an ape-like creature that towers above the average human. The evidence for this is one blurry photo, taken by one of the students of what appears to be a supernaturally tall figure behind a tree.

yeti-950x624.jpeg

That's all that's mentioned ? wtf, this photo is on one of the cameras left behind and they don't investigate ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

From the BBC article

yeti-950x624.jpeg

That's all that's mentioned ? wtf, this photo is on one of the cameras left behind and they don't investigate ?

Yeh,

I wondered about this picture.

Most claim it to be. Picture of one of the 9.

But the proportions seem off to me.

The length of body seem to big.

Most people's torsos are shorter than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

From the BBC article

yeti-950x624.jpeg

The yeti “angle” was investigated as thoroughly as the aliens one.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Wibbs wrote: »
    I gather the vid got that part wrong. They found the stove and it hadn't been unpacked so couldn't have caused the panic. Never mind that you can see in pics of the tents not a hint of fire or smoke damage.

Personally I always thought where they pitched their tents was bloody odd in the first place. OK I know I'm a soft shandy drinking, like me comfort Dubliner and outdoors at night is best served up through a window from inside, cheeky claret in hand, but why in God's name choose to pitch your tent in the open, near the summit of a mountain, in an area prone to avalanche in minus eleventy million degrees below zero and with a carnivorous wind whipping through? Not when there's a patch of forest within walking distance which gives far more shelter and would break up a lot of the energy of any snow slippage that was likely to kick off? That's what has always puzzled me. :confused::confused:

Now one could let one's imagination run wild and imagine in the forest something that freaked them right out so they felt no choice but to camp away from it in the most exposed position you could find.

One or two would need to be on watch then and not in the tent. I thought it might be a love triangle gone very wrong and the bad site is just a result of bad planning by the more experienced members. The irradiated clothing was strange.

Apparently the irradiated clothing wasn't so strange.
    The victims had previously been working in a nuclear power plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeh,

I wondered about this picture.

Most claim it to be. Picture of one of the 9.

But the proportions seem off to me.

The length of body seem to big.

Most people's torsos are shorter than that.
    Honestly it seems a stretch to claim that this is a picture of something that couldn't be human. To me it looks like someone in heavy snow gear, lumbering through heavy snow. Arms out to keep their balance, legs splayed as they push throw 2 feet of snow.

The snow gear creates a lack of definition, making it impossible to see the waist, so it looks like the torso is huge.

• Advertisement

There was also a tribe somewhere in the area too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Yeti stuff is a bit daft to me. Ditto for the UFO angle. The local tribe contrary to popular accounts online didn't view the mountain as sacred, nor banned people from going there. The collapsed tent was full of items, money(a few months wages equivalent), axes, knives, etc yet nothing was taken(not least by the doomed hikers, save for a couple of torches). In the area investigators found no extra footprints but only the hiker's. In such conditions older footprints actually stand proud of the snow as the compacted prints are more resilient to the winds so don't get blown away as easily as untrodden snow. This also means the investigators could tell the difference between their fresh tracks and the old tracks of the hikers. The Soviets initially tried to blame the deaths on the tribe but they reckoned it was a dead end and Soviet investigators would have been only to happy and willing to point the finger, but didn't.

For me, like I say the location they chose to camp is very puzzling to me, especially for such experienced outdoors people. Even the most lily livered townie if given a choice between the top of a completley exposed mountain or a forest a couple of hundred metres away, would instinctively choose the latter. Now it has been suggested that they camped there so they had less to travel to their next day's destination, but, and this is more oddness, they had left a cache of supplies back down in the forest. Indeed it has been suggested that's where they were aiming for when they fled because of whatever. A cache they would have had to traipse back down in the morning to retrieve anyway.

The paradoxical undressing angle while interesting doesn't fit either. Only two of the dead showed evidence of undressing, or being undressed and they were the first to die. Other members of the group took their clothes in an effort to save themselves(one of the women did that later on after another of the group died). So they knew what the danger was and were in full use of their faculties at that point. They were also able to later start a small fire in the treeline in numbing cold, in the dark and with damp wood, so again clearly knew what they were doing. But it wasn't enough, so one pair tried to make it back to the tent area but never came back. The remaining people slowly succumbed to the biting cold and when there was only two(?) left they tried walking down into the forest for more shelter only to fall into a deep ditch where they were badly injured or killed and all hope was lost.

The mystery as I see it boils down to only a couple of things: 1) Why camp where they did? 2) What panicked such experienced people so much that they slashed their shelter to run and escape from it? 3) How did two of the team suffer such strong blunt force trauma from a fall of under three metres in snow?

1 is the hardest one for me. 2 can be explained by the fear that the one thing other than the cold that was a large threat and could kill them was an avalanche. This might explain number 1 too. If you feel at risk of avalanche camping near the top of the slope is safer than being at the bottom of it. This also kinda kills the tribe/yeti angle as they had knives and axes and a rifle with them yet left them in the tent when they ran. If you think you're being attacked you don't leave weapons behind, but that stuff is useless against avalanche. 3 is a real mystery.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

In the absence of facts people fill the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Wibbs wrote: »
    In the area investigators found no extra footprints but only the hiker's. In such conditions older footprints actually stand proud of the snow as the compacted prints are more resilient to the winds so don't get blown away as easily as untrodden snow. This also means the investigators could tell the difference between their fresh tracks and the old tracks of the hikers. The Soviets initially tried to blame the deaths on the tribe but they reckoned it was a dead end and Soviet investigators would have been only to happy and willing to point the finger, but didn't.

I thought the locals might have had something to do with it. BTW, they traditionally used snow shoes and between that and carrying little baggage, they would have left few tracks which would be harder to trace, if even possible.
    The mystery as I see it boils down to only a couple of things: 1) Why camp where they did? 2) What panicked such experienced people so much that they slashed their shelter to run and escape from it? 3) How did two of the team suffer such strong blunt force trauma from a fall of under three metres in snow?

I think (1) can maybe be answered if the camp was even in a slight dip or hollow on the hill. I've camped in summer in the Alps with mates who were very experienced and they once choose a spot where if you stood up, you had a lot of wind on your face, once you hunkered down it was totally still.

(2), It looks like they didn't run down the hill, but it's possible they did and their tracks were misjudged. I do not believe it was the smoke in the tent thing. And if running from an avalanche, they would either all have run down the hill, or returned to get stuff once they realised it was not an avalanche.

(3) is a mystery. It's possible that one of them fell and had an unlucky fall, but not all 3.

KevRossi wrote: »
    I thought the locals might have had something to do with it. BTW, they traditionally used snow shoes and between that and carrying little baggage, they would have left few tracks which would be harder to trace, if even possible.
    Maybe Kev, but there would have likely been other signs and nothing was taken including very valuable stuff for the locals. Never mind that the group split up a couple of times. If they had been removed from the tent by force the group doing it would likely have kept them together and there likely would have been physical signs of coercion on their very well preserved bodies.
    I think (1) can maybe be answered if the camp was even in a slight dip or hollow on the hill. I've camped in summer in the Alps with mates who were very experienced and they once choose a spot where if you stood up, you had a lot of wind on your face, once you hunkered down it was totally still.
    True, though further down the slope in the trees would be stiller again, safer from avalanche as trees take a lot of the energy out of them and closer to where they'd already left a food cache.

Which is an odd detail and maybe suggests an earlier sighting of maybe a bear? Or wolves? In predator country you keep your food away from the camp, or up a tree in case you attract them. I don't think I've ever seen any reference to a possible animal factor? So maybe they see bears(though in winter the bears should have been hibernating?) or wolves, thought staying within the treeline is a bad idea, which might explain the siting of the tent and could also explain the siting of the food cache well away from same. If in the middle of the night they thought they heard an animal or animals nearby and it was that that panicked them and what the lad climbing the tree was looking for? Wolves howling from a few hundred metres away can sound bloody close by and wolf tracks are small, groups tend to walk in the prints of the animal ahead of them to cover their numbers and make moving easier and could well be missed after the few weeks that had passed, or were dismissed as not important, especially if they'd been within the treeline and not up the slope.

Now the argument against that is why weren't their bodies predated upon? Well one was, the woman missing her tongue and eyes. However if wolves had been tracking them out of curiosity, as they're very curious animals, they'd as likely feck off noticing humans coming down the slope towards them. They very rarely attack even single individuals.
    (2), It looks like they didn't run down the hill, but it's possible they did and their tracks were misjudged. I do not believe it was the smoke in the tent thing. And if running from an avalanche, they would either all have run down the hill, or returned to get stuff once they realised it was not an avalanche.
    Well the smoke thing has been discounted as the stove hadn't even been unpacked so I'm with you there. They all did move down the slope together initially anyway. Then two of them made their way back up the slope towards the tent, but succumbed to the cold before they got there. It was also the middle of the night so running would have been a bad plan. People running make very different and distinct tracks to people walking, especially on a slope. The tracks are deeper, move more snow, are led by the heel, further apart and on a downward slope more likely to be side on. I'd be shocked the rescuers and trackers would miss something so obvious.

But something frightened them enough to slash their only shelter from the inside and go outside so quickly they didn't put on, or even take clothes and other gear, but did have time to grab two torches and apparently some way of starting the fire they lit among the treeline, yet as you say it doesn't look like they ran down and they had at least one torch with them at that point and there are no sudden drops or cliffs in the area. Plus if they thought they heard or felt an avalanche you can't outrun something like that and certainly can't walk away from it and within a hundred metres they should have realised they weren't in the path of one and headed back, but they went for IIRC 500 yards down the slope. It is puzzling. Then again panic can make people do oddball things in the heat of the moment.

The other part is that at what looks to have been their first stop the hastily lit fire, it looks like one of them climbed a nearby tree as branches were broken. The explanation was that maybe one of them was trying to see the camp back up the slope(and may have fallen and fractured his skull). Which sounds fine, but it was the middle of the night, snow falling and the camp was 500 metres away. It would be hard enough to see in the daytime with any snow falling. That's another odd detail for me.
    (3) is a mystery. It's possible that one of them fell and had an unlucky fall, but not all 3.
    Well if they were hanging onto each other, holding hands in the dark kinda thing it's certainly possible for them to have all fallen into the same ditch. It's the drop of that ditch, ten feet in old money that doesn't add up as far as the injuries go. Injuries so severe that the pathologists reckoned couldn't have been caused by another human.

Could be a number of things at the same time, a love triangle, political dispute, accident/injury, predators and a mental break or two all at once and good luck trying to figure all that out.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Could be a number of things at the same time, a love triangle, political dispute, accident/injury, predators and a mental break or two all at once and good luck trying to figure all that out.
    True enough. The mental break angle might have legs P. Consider if one of them went nuts for whatever reason and it was they in their mania that ripped the tent from the inside to get out, walked away down the slope from the tent and the rest in a panic went after them to save them, but went too far too get safely back before they caught up to them. That could explain a few things like leaving weapons behind, but grabbing the torches and the haste in trying to retrieve the runaway. The footprints found wouldn't be able to show such an event as the time between a possible panicked runaway and the party following them would be too small to leave definitive traces of a time difference, certainly after many weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

From the BBC article

yeti-950x624.jpeg

I dunno. I don’t think that figure is all that compelling. Looks like it could just be somebody bulked up in winter clothes. And tall, yes, but having seen a good few 6’ 5”ers and 6’ 6”ers in my life, the figure doesn’t look supernaturally tall to me. Optical illusions, the blurriness - it’s just not very compelling to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This is the photograph preceding that photo on Thibeaux-Brignolle's camera.
    Thibeaux-Brignolle-camera-film3-16.jpg

The other point if interest is,

Where did all the other cameras go?

Apparently only half were found, so what else was photographed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

There is little doubt in my mind... this has all the hallmarks of a radioactive snow leopard attack! :)

Advertisement