Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyatlov pass incident

Options
  • 10-08-2020 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

Watching the two part Dyatlov Pass episodes.

I find the missile test theory highly dubious as Who tests missiles in temperatures below -20°C at night, in the snow, where you can't accurately observe what happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

This has been explained years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Someone posted something about a freak weather “event” that may have been the cause.

Was in that ‘favourite mysteries’ thread. Compelling stuff.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

The melted stove theory is the one I go by. Mundane but makes the most sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

The case was never concluded, and a new official investigation was announced about 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aliens

• Advertisement

The melted stove theory is the one I go by. Mundane but makes the most sense to me.

But the stove wasn't used that night, or the night before as condition of the certification they were trying to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's right up there with the Russian Sleep Experiment and Slenderman. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Always been an interesting one ,

Definitely wasn't an avalanche don't think the russians ever produced any real evidence to show or prove it was a weather event ,
    From what I remember some of the bodies have injuries but yet clothing was intact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Lemmino did an excellent video on it.

Great channel for mysteries

https://youtu.be/Y8RigxxiilI

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Which one OP, Dead Mountain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

The case was never concluded, and a new official investigation was announced about 18 months ago.

It was closed a month ago.

The Russian prosecutor generals office stated hypothermia as they fled thinking an avalanche, a small one did happen which covered the tent and they believe it made it next to impossible to find it when they tried returning to camp afterwards

They said something about falling into a snow hole for the blunt force trauma injuries and I think the missing eyes etc was down to wildlife

I must look it up again, don't know why the KGB made it so hush hush back in the day if they didn't think there was anything odd to itn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Who indeed? I always test my ballistic missiles in the morning as I love the smell of rocket fuel in the morning.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

don't know why the KGB made it so hush hush back in the day if they didn't think there was anything odd to itn
    Tends to be the default position with such secret police bodies wherever you find them. If in doubt keep it hush hush. Before you're sure keep it hush hush. After you're sure, definitely keep it hush hush because it's 20 years later and sure who would want to drag up the past, someone might get blamed, IE us.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It was closed a month ago.

They stated hypothermia as they fled thinking an avalanche, a small one did happen which covered the tent and they believe it made it next to impossible to find it when they tried returning to camp afterwards

They said something about falling into a snow hole for the blunt force trauma injuries and I think the missing eyes etc was down to wildlife

I must look it up again, don't know why the KGB made it so hush hush back in the day if they didn't think there was anything odd to itn

6 times you said "they" in your post , who's they ?
    Or have "they" told you to say nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

don't know why the KGB made it so hush hush back in the day if they didn't think there was anything odd to itn
    Wasn't it because Soviet state policy was to downplay any matters that would cause fear, anxiety, upset etc? Because otherwise it might lead to independent thought - that maybe this place isn't quite utopia.

Apparently that came into how Chernobyl was dealt with, and when there was a serial killer at large, Andrei Chikatilo (80s).

And those were far later, when things were very slightly relaxed. Dyatlov Pass was the same decade as Stalin's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Russian prosecutor generals office is the one I read

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I find the missile test theory highly dubious as Who tests missiles in temperatures below -20°C at night, in the snow, where you can't accurately observe what happens?

Im sure plenty do test in those circumstances. I mean, if a war starts and youre being attacked, you're not going to ask them to wait for more favourable weather to start defending yourself, are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Y'know, them. I've said too much already.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Good thing the Russians have never had a war in winter :rolleyes:

way too much info on missile propellants and temperature
    https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

During WWI the Germans, Americans and British all had faulty torpedoes because they hadn't been tested properly in real world conditions.

HMS Trinidad torpedoed herself because the cold weather testing hadn't been done.

One US submarine USS Tunny got into a position to fire torpedoes at three Japanese aircraft carriers. None detonated. The Mark XIV torpedo had soo many ways of failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Kilboor wrote: »
    Lemmino did an excellent video on it.

Great channel for mysteries

https://youtu.be/Y8RigxxiilI

Great video ! thanks for that!

• Advertisement

It's a great channel, here is his DB Cooper one ...

My point about the weather conditions is more to do with the fact that you cant really observe how the missile performs, or the results of any actual impact, until the conditions clear up.

Also, can you please stick to topic Hector Savage? if you want a discussion about DB Cooper, then by all means open a dedicated thread.
    Just try not to clutter or misdirect this thread?

My point about the weather conditions is more to do with the fact that you cant really observe how the missile performs, or the results of any actual impact, until the conditions clear up.

Also, can you please stick to topic Hector Savage? if you want a discussion about DB Cooper, then by all means open a dedicated thread.
    Just try not to clutter or misdirect this thread?

Sorry there, just excited about discovering this YT channel from here.

Back on topic, I do like the way he's level headed and provides a very good explanation about this incident, seems the stove leaking smoke is the best explanation...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Back on topic, I do like the way he's level headed and provides a very good explanation about this incident, seems the stove leaking smoke is the best explanation...

Any mention of the possibility of a “katabatic” wind, H?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Hey guys, check out these mushrooms I found....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think in this case it was the authorities keeping schtum about it, as well the bizarre behaviour of the individuals, that caused it to become more a mystery than it actually was.

Based on what we know now, the only "strange" thing about it was the fact that they had cut their way out of the tent instead of using the door. However, the tents they would have been using then, are laced closed from the inside. This closes the door in a way that it seals well from outside elements, including wildlife. But not very easy to open in an emergency. In the dark and in a panic, they may very well have have just been able to put their hand on a knife and decided that was the best way out.

The simplest explanation is that they fled the tent in the middle of the night, probably around midnight, probably out of fear of an avalanche, and fled into woods about a km away. They set up a temporary camp with a fire to try and stay warm until it was safe to return to the camp. As hypothermia begin to set in after an hour or two, they started thinking about returning to camp to get more clothes and supplies, but still being dark and having no idea what direction they came in, they were lost. When the first two people died, the rest took their clothes to stay warm. At some point then the group split up. 3 decided to try make their way back to the tent (dying in the process), four went in a different direction, possibly to get down the mountain and find a cave or another camp, but fell off a hidden cliff and died.

As part of the certification they were trying for, they had to not cook for several days, the previous night they recorded this detail,
    When the tent was found, the stove had not been unpacked or assembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Where? Which series? Always been utterly fascinated with this, this and the Valentich Disappearance are the most interesting unsolved mysteries IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Where? Which series? Always been utterly fascinated with this, this and the Valentich Disappearance are the most interesting unsolved mysteries IMO
    The Valentich pilot thing fascinated me as a kid when I first heard of it. It was the days of Close Encounters of the third kind and major UFO mania and maybe this was a case of UFO abduction. These days I have a very different take on it.

In my humble a few things are in play here. He was fascinated by UFO's and claimed to have seen a couple. He wasn't a good pilot. Only 20 years old with not many hours under his belt he'd already racked up a few warnings from authorities, including one that could have resulted in legal action(strayed into restricted airspace around an airport IIRC). He had applied for both military and civil pilot training, failed his exams and had been rejected by both.

The flight he took that day in a borrowed aircraft was from Tasmania to an island off the coast whose name escapes. 50 miles distance again IIRC, much of it over water. However the landing strip on said island didn't have a control tower. He was going to arrive at night so someone would have had to tell them to turn on the landing lights in advance. He didn't. He told his dad IIRC that he was picking up passengers, but there were no passengers involved. He told someone else he was picking foodstuff of some nature, but again no record of that. He told his girlfriend he'd be back in a couple of hours, but no way could he have done that unless he stole a jet fighter. Lots of subterfuge and fibbing, touch of walter mitty maybe? He was also flying under radar coverage.

My theory is he went out to fake a UFO "close encounter" as a joke, or more likely a means to get attention. He took off and after night fell called in his "sighting", one that echoed the type of sightings in TV and films like Close Encounters of the third kind of the time. At some point during this charade he got disorientated,which would be easy to do for an inexperienced pilot flying at night and below a few thousand feet and lost control of the aircraft and crashed into the sea. He mentioned, or you could hear on the radio recordings that his engine was running rough. Maybe he got into a slow spin which cut the fuel to his engine(IIRC the Cessna he was flying wasn't rated for aerobatics, gravity fed fuel) and it was game over.

OK his plane hasn't been found, but there's some deep water and strong currents in that strait and given his inexperience(and lack of GPS in those days) he could well have been way off course when he did crash.

My take anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement