Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wisdom Tooth Removal - referral to oral surgeon

Options
  • 09-08-2020 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

I need a wisdom tooth removed because it has a cavity. Can I just attend an oral surgeon myself, or can my gp refer me to someone to have it done under GA? Or does it have to be referral from a dentist? Dentist had diagnosed cavity before lockdown but was extremely reluctant to refer saying it would be over the top.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I need a wisdom tooth removed because it has a cavity. Can I just attend an oral surgeon myself, or can my gp refer me to someone to have it done under GA? Or does it have to be referral from a dentist? Dentist had diagnosed cavity before lockdown but was extremely reluctant to refer saying it would be over the top.
    Gosh I can’t remember if I just made the appointment myself or my dentist referred me. I think I just did it myself.
    Andrew Norris in the Beacon did my 4 plus a submerging tooth.
    My health insurance covered it as a day procedure and I also got to claim 50% back on the consultation under day to day consultants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thanks.

It's just very difficult for me to go back to that dentist now due to public transport and Covid. I have a serious fear of the dentist and went 14 years without visiting, so finding a new dentist is a nightmare. Very happy with this dentist but had wanted this procedure done under GA due to fear, but she really didn't want to refer. The tooth feels fine to me, but obviously it will eventually be an issue and could start to affect the next tooth too.

I just want to go somewhere like the Hermitage and get it over with. Not concerned about the costs, just whether they'll accept me without dentist referral.

Thanks.

It's just very difficult for me to go back to that dentist now due to public transport and Covid. I have a serious fear of the dentist and went 14 years without visiting, so finding a new dentist is a nightmare. Very happy with this dentist but had wanted this procedure done under GA due to fear, but she really didn't want to refer. The tooth feels fine to me, but obviously it will eventually be an issue and could start to affect the next tooth too.

I just want to go somewhere like the Hermitage and get it over with. Not concerned about the costs, just whether they'll accept me without dentist referral.

Ring the secretary of your chosen consultant and ask. I think I just rang and made the appointment myself. I got x rays sent from my dentist but also had panoramic x ray done during consultation with Andrew. I went with Andrew because my own dentist recommended him. I am sure they are all good!
    I definitely needed a GA as the root on my submerging tooth was hooked!
    Recovery time took 2 weeks tbh but I think that was more to do with the position of my submerging tooth.

I did go back to work on day 7 but ended up out for another 4 days. My mouth was full of ulcers and stitches!! I could feel the sockets tightened which was very uncomfortable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Usually yes, just ring an oral surgery clinic and ask....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Millem wrote: »
    Ring the secretary of your chosen consultant and ask. I think I just rang and made the appointment myself. I got x rays sent from my dentist but also had panoramic x ray done during consultation with Andrew. I went with Andrew because my own dentist recommended him. I am sure they are all good!
    I definitely needed a GA as the root on my submerging tooth was hooked!
    Recovery time took 2 weeks tbh but I think that was more to do with the position of my submerging tooth.

I did go back to work on day 7 but ended up out for another 4 days. My mouth was full of ulcers and stitches!! I could feel the sockets tightened which was very uncomfortable tbh.

This may be your view but it is not accurate.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Usually yes, just ring an oral surgery clinic and ask....

Ok, thank you. I just wasn't sure if it worked like a medical consultant where they don't see you without referral.

This may be your view but it is not accurate.....

Well I was sent for a second opinion on it to another consultant because it was a tricky one. Anyway I was very happy with the job he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

My dentist sent off the email to the oral surgeon and his office then contacted me, had the operation about 4 months later.

Had to get 2 of them out the same day, sore enough for a few days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Millem wrote: »
    Well I was sent for a second opinion on it to another consultant because it was a tricky one. Anyway I was very happy with the job he did.

The process of removing a wisdom tooth, the safety and or risk are not in any way changed whether you are under GA, Local only or sedation. A number of studies have shown that the risks of nerve damage are actually greater under GA.

I am glad you were treated well and happy, but the increased difficulty of a wisdom tooth extraction does not mean you need a GA over any other form of anaesthesia, and might worry others reading this thread unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nettlesoup

Same story as the OP here, Wisdom tooth with cavity causing pain. I wonder if somebody could recommend an Oral Surgeon in Dublin. I have noted the name of the OS mentioned on this thread and I will check him out to see what the waiting list is. Other recommendations welcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement