Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most popular cars by country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Surprised that the Mokka is so popular in Wales and Scotland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Surprised that the Mokka is so popular in Wales and Scotland!

Vauxhall brand and the regular that stick to brands I guess and pricing also may be good.
    At least since PSA took over I believe they'll be better then when GM was in control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PSA didn't do anything with the Mokka though, they inherited it from GM.

bazz26 wrote: »
    PSA didn't do anything with the Mokka though, they inherited it from GM.

I get that but I'd like to think they're cars will be better.
    Mad seeing all the difference between countries.

I'd say Skoda would have had it here few years ago.

Hyundai really doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Misleading of them to say 'every country'. There are loads of countries missing including most of the African continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

BMW X5 for Andorra :D

Northern Ireland - Ford Fiesta. Figures.

Scarlet for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Surprised Spain isn't a Seat. Italy still the home of Fiat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats going on in Libya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Patsy167 wrote: »
    https://i.redd.it/d1gp8hfbrtf51.jpg

Ireland = Hyundai Tuscon

So is Syria.....:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dacia sells very well according to that map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Andorra and Turkmenistan really have some serious taste :D

the US and the southern half of the world really love pickups and SUV's

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

I see in England the graphic has the golf as the best seller. However in 18 ,19 and 20 so far it is the fiesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Toyota seem extremely popular worldwide, especially the Hilux all over the developing world. Is Toyota the world's biggest motor company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Toyota seem extremely popular worldwide, especially the Hilux all over the developing world. Is Toyota the world's biggest motor company?

I think ford is.

the issue with a lot of those countries is they'll take the old ones and keep them running, it might be the most popular car but not 'new' car .

ford probably sell more new F150's every year in the US and Canada than Toyota sell hiluxes worldwide, but 20 years later half those f150's will be in a scrap yard, 90% of the hilux's will still be roaming the desert or rainforest.

Has been the world's biggest for a long time though VW has narrowed the gap a lot in the past decade

I think ford is.

the issue with a lot of those countries is they'll take the old ones and keep them running, it might be the most popular car but not 'new' car .

ford probably sell more new F150's every year in the US and Canada than Toyota sell hiluxes worldwide, but 20 years later half those f150's will be in a scrap yard, 90% of the hilux's will still be roaming the desert or rainforest.

Ford has never even been number one in America, always been GM

Sure it's still a huge company but a lot smaller than Toyota or VW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Has been the world's biggest for a long time

Googled it and Wikipedia does agree with you. Just holding off the VAG group, close thing nowadays

Googled it and Wikipedia does agree with you. Just holding off the VAG group, close thing nowadays

VW was a distant second twenty years ago, Toyota declined due to rise of the Koreans and VW has grown considerably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Toyota Yaris in Iceland surprised me.

Octavia in Switzerland, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wonski wrote: »
    Toyota Yaris in Iceland surprised me.

They have the population of about 3 Tallaght's . Probably means about 100 people bought a new yaris last year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

They have the population of about 3 Tallaght's . Probably means about 100 people bought a new yaris last year. :)

Probably all fleet cars for rental. Lots of Icelanders would drive 4x4s.

Hong Kong - Hiace is most popular. Is car ownership low given that it's a densely populated city and most vehicles are commercial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I don't think that's what surprised me ;)

When it comes to size we better don't try to join any motor related competitions ;)

Or even population related ones.

Still not sure what all these Octavias are doing in Switzerland. Are they just more clever with money???

Many Swiss imports in Europe, always well specced cars with no expense spared.

That map is interesting to look at, but zero info on what dates it covers, what year/month. Maybe it is a weekly map for week 26 in 2016?

Who knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Best selling car in Ireland in 2019 was the Toyota Corolla according to the SIMI stats: https://stats.beepbeep.ie

Tucson was 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Top selling car in Wales & Scotland 201X: Vauxhall Mokka

2020 Opel Mokka sales in Ireland: 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Probably all fleet cars for rental. Lots of Icelanders would drive 4x4s.

Hong Kong - Hiace is most popular. Is car ownership low given that it's a densely populated city and most vehicles are commercial?

Hiaces are probably taxis. There’s an awful lot of local knock-off Hiace models too.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Hiaces are probably taxis. There’s an awful lot of local knock-off Hiace models too.

Reminds me of China, most mini bus are mercedes.... Cough not Mercedes but they stick the badges on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tesla are the biggest car company in the world.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tesla are the biggest car company in the world.

Only by market cap , by any other measure such a claim is ludicrous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Only by market cap , by any other measure such a claim is ludicrous

True, market cap is the best method for comparing company valuations.

The valuation of Tesla has risen of fallen in a day the same value of the entire Ford Motor company. Crazy!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement