Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Specific ECTS to qualify for Post Primary Teaching

Options
  • 09-08-2020 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hey

Just a question if anyone can help.

Just curious in relation to subject specific ECTS to qualify for Post Primary Teaching.

Here is my question:

On the Teaching Council website it give the amount of college credits that should be studies for each subject in order for that subject to be recognised by the Teaching Council for teaching purposes.

Say I have an undergraduate level 8 (Hons) degree however I do not let's say qualify to teach Business as I am 15 ECTS short by the Teaching Council requirement.

However I have another college course completed but its only an Higher Certificate (level 6).

I have the shortfall of 15 credits (actually more) successfully passed in the Higher Certificate.

Will the Teaching Council take the credits from both awards for me to meet the requirements of teaching that particular post primary subject.. (on completion of the teaching HDIP / Postgrad) or will all the credits have to be from one award.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, and thanks for the replies in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

ECTS credits must be at Level 8 to be counted by the TC. They can come from multiple courses, but must be Level 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

ECTS credits must be at Level 8 to be counted by the TC. They can come from multiple courses, but must be Level 8.

Thanks for the reply. Just another question as you might be able to advise.

Instead of doing another 2 add on years to the Higher Certificate to make it level 8.. Would the 15 ECTS count from a 1 year masters instead which I could do from from the level 8 I have completed already.

scullersky wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Just another question as you might be able to advise.

Instead of doing another 2 add on years to the Higher Certificate to make it level 8.. Would the 15 ECTS count from a 1 year masters instead which I could do from from the level 8 I have completed already.

Believe it or not the TC does not automatically recognise Masters (Level 9) credits for subject qualification purposes, but they do sometimes. They are difficult to pin down on specifics though in writing in advance. But you can just do individual stand alone Level 8 modules as an occasional student to make up the credits. Or a one year hdip is fine. Most of the colleges offer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The credits must include final year modules generally. Otherwise everyone could go around doing certs and building up credits, but still have a basic knowledge of a subject. You can find out from the TC what areas you are missing and perhaps upskill by taking specific modules from a level 8 course. I did that for Physics before.

Yes, it's important to understand regarding the credits, that you must fulfil all these criteria:

▪︎have a full Level 8 degree completed
    ▪︎have 60 credits completed in the specific subject
    ▪︎have the correct subject content covered as laid out by the TC
    ▪︎have completed at least 10 credits from 3rd Year or higher in your specific subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

You probably have read this already ( this doc is where you can match your modules/credits and work out missing ones)

https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Registration/Documents/Curricular-Subject-Requirments-after-January-2017.pdf

Advertisement