Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any opinions?

• 06-08-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭

This laptop was posted in hotukdeals https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/acer-aspire-5-ryzen-5-4500u-3513622

I cant find any reviews on it, and was wondering if anyone here had any opinions on it? Or something else I should go for?

Budget E650, Metal chassis, backlit keyboard optical drive would also be a plus.
    There are comments on hotukdeals on the above laptop but they seem to be for another very similar model number.

Thanks in advance

Comments

seems ok but out of stock

optical drives are not provided anymore for well over 90% of laptops so you have little choice - buy a usb one for cheap on ebay/ amazon for when you need one (€15 probably)

the well-recommended magicbook / matebook is a great alternative that's available in 14 or 15 inch (amazon, box, honor site)

enough power for the majority of users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

Thank you Glasso,

Yes it does seem to be out of stock everywhere, I spent too long dithering...
    But I will take a closer look at your other suggestions.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply

the magicbook / matebook d 14 and 15 have great build metal chassis quality.

the 3500u vs the 4500u is weaker but most users would not notice any difference in actual day-to-day usage for normal tasks to be honest

the 14 has a bigger battery than the 15 version oddly.

the cooling is excellent so the chip can run at full pelt unlike a lot of laptops where throttling occurs

btw, disregard what I said about over 90% of laptops without a dvd /optical drive these days, it's more like 98% :pac:

Yes, that is a reassuring review, will have a proper look over the weekend and on Monday order (probably from Honor direct as they have some deals)
    Glasso, thank you.

Many thanks to Glasso, I did buy the magicbook, which arrived today. I really like it so far.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement