Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife and Fork, Which Hand?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

JayZeus wrote: »
    No, you’re not. You’re supposed to use an appropriate knife and simply coordinate your hand movements. The knife does the cutting. If you need to use your ‘strong hand’ you have some physical impediment or need to stop using a butter knife to eat your dinner with. Or tell cook to stop overdoing the roast.

I would think that you would use your dominant hand for the cutting. It takes slightly more dexterity to cleanly cut a piece of meat to the size you require as opposed to just sticking a fork in a piece of food and conveying it to your mouth.

Do you use your weaker hand to hammer in a nail, screw in a screw, hit a tennis ball with a racquet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cannot use my left hand at all. So fork right hand, knife left hand but when it need to cut something I switch hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

fork in the right hand and knife in the left.

Can't tell if this is a p**s take or not, but if someone judged someone based on what hand they held their knife or fork I think it says a lot more about them than it does the other person.

I would be fairly identical to that, I would try and follow the 'etiquette' in certain company or if you are somewhere fancy but it is definitely a big act, at home I will use the side of a fork to cut a lot of things! I've never really understood the whole table etiquette and why it exists.

If I see someone holding a spoon using their fist rather than their fingers I immediately think "monkey". Likewise someone holding their knife in their fist like they're holding a dagger with the blade emerging from the little finger side of the fist, hacking away at a slab of meat like a fucking neanderthal

JayZeus wrote: »
    It's no different to someone who keeps their fingernails dirty, picks their nose, spits or wouldn't know how to polish their shoes or wears dirty clothes to work. Similarly, people who chew their food open-mouthed, who cough or sneeze unguarded, fail to hold a door open for the person behind them, skip queues or push past people. Every one of these things is a sign of an inadequate education or inability to show consideration for others and to have a minimal level of awareness about how they hold and present themselves to the world.

Shallow? Pffft. Virtue signalling aside, you already judge others on the basis of how you were taught to behave. You might like to think otherwise but that's simply not possible. If you notice it and can't equate some cultural factor to their oftentimes reprehensible conduct, you will absolutely judge them. I do and I make no apologies for it.

It's always amusing how those who think things like table manners are worthless rarely understand that they're not the ones to make that call. Do what you will at home (apparently to the detriment of ones children) but behave like a poorly educated, uncultured dimwit and the people around you may well decide to treat you as a more contemptible specimen than those who know how to use a knife and fork, as an example.

It's often said that it costs nothing to have good manners. I'd say it only costs a little time and effort to pull yourself up out of the slop tray, especially when even YouTube will provide ample opportunity to learn how you should behave at mealtime, as a supposedly intelligent and capable adult.

"oftentimes"

"OFTENTIMES" ?

You bottom-feeding Cromagnon

• Advertisement

Cannot use my left hand at all. So fork right hand, knife left hand but when it need to cut something I switch hands.

If you can't use your left hand at all then how do you hold a knife in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

In Japan it is considered rude NOT to slurp when you eat soup, and they are a much more civilised society than our own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Fork with the tines pointing downwards too. No stabbing vertically with fork and hacking around it.

True story - we used to bring children out on trips and noticed even in an 'eat all you want it's on the place we are visiting' situation, many would choose sliced bread and ham. Some discreet enquiries found they did not know how to use a knife and fork 'like posh people'. We threw it in as an optional 'class' in one of the weeks we used to suspend the timetable and cover all sorts of bits and pieces not actually on the curriculum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I most of Asia (where they don't use chop sticks) it's a spoon and a fork.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    ...Some discreet enquiries found they did not know how to use a knife and fork 'like posh people'. We threw it in as an optional 'class' in one of the weeks we used to suspend the timetable and cover all sorts of bits and pieces not actually on the curriculum.

That's quite sad. I guess they might eat a lot of things like pizza and chips, and don't use any cutlery at all except spoons.

Fork in left, knife in right. Unless its something like pasta or rice, then it's fork in right for shovelling it in.

spurious wrote: »
    Fork with the tines pointing downwards too. No stabbing vertically with fork and hacking around it.

True story - we used to bring children out on trips and noticed even in an 'eat all you want it's on the place we are visiting' situation, many would choose sliced bread and ham. Some discreet enquiries found they did not know how to use a knife and fork 'like posh people'. We threw it in as an optional 'class' in one of the weeks we used to suspend the timetable and cover all sorts of bits and pieces not actually on the curriculum.

Could have used a class like that when I was a child! That said, my parents both have good table manners. I think they were just a bit laissez faire in their parenting regarding the subject.

Right handed.

Fork in right, knife in left.

When I try it the other way around it's like trying to write with me left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Fork in left, knife in right.

If I'm just using a fork for pasta or cake etc., or a dessert spoon I use my right hand.

Tines down and I follow the crossed cutlery with tines down when not finished/side by side with tines down rule when finished.

In private I eat like a savage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Formal settings have forks left, knives right, soup spoon furthest right. Desert fork/spoon above. Wine/drink glasses to the upper right, bread plate/knife to the left or upper left. If one is not partaking in a certain course, the waiter should remove the applicable cutlery/crockery/glassware.

But if I make something at home that only requires a fork, ie: pasta bake, I use my right (dominant) hand to eat, otherwise fork left/knife right. You use the fork hand more to hold food to be cut and bring it to your mouth, leaves the right (dominant) hand free for the "harder" cutting, or to pick up your drink so you don't spill it with your weak hand.

Lefties... well... like ginger kids, we tolerate them, especially if they conform to normality as best they can.

When I couldn't get a job after the leaving cert in 2001, I did a FAS course on Restaurant Skills. I'm a certified waiter, got me a few jobs. In this course, we were shown the only proper way to set a table/take orders/serve orders/etc. Every restaurant you go to has the cutlery set this way, or if they're bad at their jobs, haphazardly thrown down in some form. The containers some places uses with the cutlery upright in them melt my buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I would think that you would use your dominant hand for the cutting. It takes slightly more dexterity to cleanly cut a piece of meat to the size you require as opposed to just sticking a fork in a piece of food and conveying it to your mouth.

Do you use your weaker hand to hammer in a nail, screw in a screw, hit a tennis ball with a racquet?

It's not always that cut and dried. I'm left-handed, but my right arm is dominant. I write with my left hand and kick with my left foot. I throw and catch with my right hand. I play tennis and table-tennis left handed, but my tennis backhand is two-fisted because my right arm is stronger. I'm a right-handed (ex-stupid game) golfer, and if I hurled it'd be right-handed. But I'm a left eye focuser with my camera, and anything really delicate and precise gets done with my left hand.

The fork goes in my left hand, and it stays that way. I do not get the American thing of switching hands at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why if you were right handed would you use your left hand to eat with? Makes no sense at all, like being right handed and using your left hand to write because you want to staple the page you are writing on with your right hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Why if you were right handed would you use your left hand to eat with? Makes no sense at all, like being right handed and using your left hand to write because you want to staple the page you are writing on with your right hand.

Take steak for an example. The weak hand (in most cases, the left) is simply used to hold the meat in place. The dominant hand (in most cases, the right) has the "harder" task of using force (depending on the steak) to cut where you want. The left hand has the simple job of hold and bring to mouth, the right hand has the harder job of cutting with accuracy.

Try cutting a slice of bread off an uncut loaf with your weak hand compared to your strong hand (unless you're ambidextrous, in which case you're an alien and this doesn't apply).

But again, eating cereal, soup, etc, the right hand is used because there's no need for the left (which is why the soup spoon is on the right).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

In Japan it is considered rude NOT to slurp when you eat soup, and they are a much more civilised society than our own.

Don't know about that. Half of them don't even want to go outside and look at their psycho soldiers.

If using a knife then it’s fork left hand and knife right hand. If eating with a fork only it’s fork in right hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

two fork in right!

davedanon wrote: »
    It's not always that cut and dried. I'm left-handed, but my right arm is dominant. I write with my left hand and kick with my left foot. I throw and catch with my right hand. I play tennis and table-tennis left handed, but my tennis backhand is two-fisted because my right arm is stronger. I'm a right-handed (ex-stupid game) golfer, and if I hurled it'd be right-handed. But I'm a left eye focuser with my camera, and anything really delicate and precise gets done with my left hand.

The fork goes in my left hand, and it stays that way. I do not get the American thing of switching hands at all.

I must say that you are a multi-talented freak, dave.

I have a similar friend who is also left-handed but like you does a variety of tasks with his right hand, such as throwing a ball etc. Writes with the left, plays pool left-handed but plays guitar right-handed. Quite interesting really.

Take steak for an example. The weak hand (in most cases, the left) is simply used to hold the meat in place. The dominant hand (in most cases, the right) has the "harder" task of using force (depending on the steak) to cut where you want. The left hand has the simple job of hold and bring to mouth, the right hand has the harder job of cutting with accuracy.

Try cutting a slice of bread off an uncut loaf with your weak hand compared to your strong hand (unless you're ambidextrous, in which case you're an alien and this doesn't apply).

But again, eating cereal, soup, etc, the right hand is used because there's no need for the left (which is why the soup spoon is on the right).

Precisely. The left hand is employed for the easier task. The right hand, the more difficult, dexterous task.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

I have a similar friend who is also left-handed but like you does a variety of tasks with his right hand, such as throwing a ball etc. Writes with the left, plays pool left-handed but plays guitar right-handed. Quite interesting really.
    Im the exact same. When gripping a hurley ive my left hand on top and right underneath but swing left. Its strange and ive never been able to play naturally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

raclle wrote: »
    Im the exact same. When gripping a hurley ive my left hand on top and right underneath but swing left. Its strange and ive never been able to play naturally

Snap

I'm left handed but play pool snooker with right, throw with my right, played cricket as a right handed batsman but could also play left handed

Fork left, knife right

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I don't really get the argument for fork in the left hand when you're right handed. Maybe it's because I don't tend to eat tough foods, but the cutting motion is more simplistic to me than trying to bring the fork to my mouth with my left hand without food falling off. I suppose eating cereal/soup with my right hand has also gotten me into the habit of using that hand for it. No idea why people act like it's bad manners... once I'm not making a mess, who cares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Canard wrote: »
    I don't really get the argument for fork in the left hand when you're right handed. Maybe it's because I don't tend to eat tough foods, but the cutting motion is more simplistic to me than trying to bring the fork to my mouth with my left hand without food falling off. I suppose eating cereal/soup with my right hand has also gotten me into the habit of using that hand for it. No idea why people act like it's bad manners... once I'm not making a mess, who cares!

Bad manners is scooping it into your face with your hands and then belching.
    People judging you for the hand you hold your knife and fork in is just snobbery; get that right and then you'll find something wrong with your posture, your clothes, your accent instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Knife left, fork right. It was always just the way that worked for me and I never tried to change it. It felt comfortable and easier to do/
    My mother always pestered me trying to get me to do it the opposite way, but it only pushed me away further in the long run.
    Who cares really? It's not like you're gonna focus on the other persons utensil skills when they're eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I am guilty of using my fork to cut and eat my food. That is when people know I am uncivilized and not a native.

• Advertisement
Advertisement