Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road rage incident learner driver

Options
  • 03-08-2020 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I'm a learner driver and very inexperienced. I was driving with Mr. Lemon in the passenger seat.

We came to a set of traffic lights at the exit of a supermarket. I cut out and missed the green. The man behind did Riverdance on the horn.

Mr. Lemon got out to politely point out that I'm a learner driver. He flew into a rage and roared at Mr Lemon. He said "I was warning her about the effing red light".

Mr. Lemon got back in and I conked out again at the green. He got out of his car and tried to open the door and banged on the window.

He said "I'll punch the fücking head off you if you get out of your car again".

The whole incident had me in tears and it's shaken me.

Why are L plates like a red rag to a bull. Mr. Lemon wants to call the Gardaí but I'm afraid it'll only backlash on us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

TK Lemon wrote:
    Why are L plates like a red rag to a bull. Mr. Lemon wants to call the Gardaí but I'm afraid it'll only backlash on us.

What a crappy experience, I'm driving a good few years, and still regularly cut out, some drivers are complete arseholes. I had a driver do a riverdance during a driving lesson, my instructor proceeded to calmly lean over me to respond with a similar response, twas funny, I got a laugh anyway. You should really inform the gardai, that's unacceptable behaviour, please don't give up the driving, it's worth it, best of luck

Yeah you want to get the reg and report anyone doing that. The fact they’re such a psycho they probably shouldn’t be on the road at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I want tk lemon now, damn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Never ever get out of your car, plenty have ended up dead with this approach. Just ignore the beeping, will annoy them even more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I want tk lemon now, damn you!

Classic soda-rage!

• Advertisement

While ignoring people who sit on their horns works well, this case is different.
    Is you have their reg number, then I would report it.

It's not acceptable for that driver to threaten violence against anyone & he needs to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

The driver was a plank, but Mr Lemon shouldn’t have got out as it only inflamed the situation further.
    People are gonna beep at you on the road, it’s a part of motoring, stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

bubblypop wrote: »
    While ignoring people who sit on their horns works well, this case is different.

It's not acceptable for that driver to threaten violence against anyone & he needs to know that.

The other driver could say he felt under imminent attack from Mr Lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

Agreed, report him. Sounds like a completely over the top reaction especially as you displayed L plates. Just remember he was once a learner driver. People seem to forget that.

He could.
    I'm just going by the OP when they said Mr lemon politely pointed out lemon was a learner driver.
    Could happen though, that they can say anything. Very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It's horrible behavior from any driver but don't let it put you off .
    Tbh they'll be out there for all the years in the future you'll be driving. Best thing is stay in the car, try to relax and ignore the crappy carry on from such morons.

No one was born knowing how to drive, anyone can cut out any time.
    Good luck with the driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Useless angry thug. Forget about him. But next time dont get out of car but take reg in future and report Mr Bully

Away and ****e.

The “motoring massiv” clique wades in now. The same crew who think it’s ok to go 200km/h everywhere will no doubt think this is ok because nobody should ever get in their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

This isnt the USA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

Mr Lemon should have just got out and taken a pic/video of the tossers car and gone straight to Garda ststion, that'll quiten him down. As much as I hate phones, by simply videoing a situation scares tossers like this away!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sorry that the guy was blowing the horn; that was really unnecessary. Getting out of the car and approaching the other driver was very inadvisable and sounds like it seriously escalated matters. Anyone who approaches my car in this manner would make me think they intended violence. Perhaps that says more about me than Mr Lemon but it certainly did not diffuse the situation. It certainly did not assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Never ever get out of your car, plenty have ended up dead with this approach. Just ignore the beeping, will annoy them even more.

"plenty"

Seriously, a little over the top.

Can you point to one incident in Ireland over the past 20 years.

There have been two I believe in the uk in the past ten years and both led to long prison sentences.

Put it this way, it is HIGHLY unlikely for such outcome. You've a better chance of winning the lottery twice in one week.

Daily mail hysterical nonsense is not something to base your life on.

For the op, 100% make a report to gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Why was he warning you about the red light? Is there more to the incident than simply stalling at traffic lights?

Mr. Lemon should have stayed in his car, it was aggressive to get out and approach the other driver.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Why was he warning you about the red light? Is there more to the incident than simply stalling at traffic lights?

Mr. Lemon should have stayed in his car, it was aggressive to get out and approach the other driver.

Probably isn’t any more to it, they’d have said if there was.

But feel free to make up stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Probably isn’t any more to it, they’d have said if there was.

But feel free to make up stuff.

So why did the other driver say they were warning the OP about the red lights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Mr Lemon was only trying to defend his missus because he was bitter about the other guy squeezing on the horn.

I know I know sorry but all I can picture is actual Lemons sitting in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Dust yourself off and get back behind the wheel. The more you drive, the less you conk out!

I know it's a horrible feeling when something like that happens. On my 4th lesson, I conked out on the north quays and couldn't restart as I panicked. Cue furious beeps galore. I was mightly pissed at the instructor for bringing me into city centre traffic but it's probably the quickest way you learn.

There are a lot of assholes on our roads but the majority of Irish drivers are courteous. When I was less experienced, I used to give drivers like yer man the middle finger but that would usually enflame the situation (eg they'd perform a dangerous overtake/tailgate afterwards).

Now I completely ignore them and it does wonders for your blood pressure.

Years ago, when I was a learner, I decided I had to go out alone, back when that was allowed! , & just go for it!

Got caught at traffic lights, uphill at a T junction. I was trying to turn right. I
    I missed the lights at least twice! Engine cut out.....
    I was sweating!!!!
    The guy in the car behind me got out & walked up to my window......I was ****ting it, thought he was gonna **** me out of it.........he didnt! He was super nice, told me to relax, helped me to drive, etc etc. I
    I got it eventually, all thanks to the driver behind

Years ago, when I was a learner, I decided I had to go out alone, back when that was allowed! , & just go for it!

Got caught at traffic lights, uphill at a T junction. I was trying to turn right. I
    I missed the lights at least twice! Engine cut out.....
    I was sweating!!!!
    The guy in the car behind me got out & walked up to my window......I was ****ting it, thought he was gonna **** me out of it.........he didnt! He was super nice, told me to relax, helped me to drive, etc etc. I
    I got it eventually, all thanks to the driver behind

We need more of these nice guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mr Lemon should have just got out and taken a pic/video of the tossers car and gone straight to Garda ststion, that'll quiten him down. As much as I hate phones, by simply videoing a situation scares tossers like this away!

While beeping the horn is illegal, in most circumstances, getting out to record someone beeping their horn is a complete over reaction. The accompanying driver should have been reassuring the learner so that they can pull away not getting out of the car confronting the other driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Away and ****e.

The “motoring massiv” clique wades in now. The same crew who think it’s ok to go 200km/h everywhere will no doubt think this is ok because nobody should ever get in their way.

Well done for completely missing AD's point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

This is something i can relate to as recently i have started to learn how drive in a manual car. I have a full automatic licence from a different country which i converted into an Irish licence. In the first 2-ish months i was beeped 7 times for not taking off like Nigel Mansell in Silverstone at various lights. My beep to beeped ratio was ridiculous. Now i wanted to get out and point at the L-plate... but to do this would result in a fight which isn't worth it.

When im cycling i despise motorists, pedestrians and other cyclists. When i drive i despise other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists. Its like because people are secure in a car they believe they can behave in any way they like. What all these road users have in common is that they are living, breathing human beings, who we all know can be as*holes. If this pandemic doesnt wipe us out we can be hopeful that the impending climate change disaster followed by a biodiversity collapse will finish us off and we can embrace sweet sweet death. Then we wont have to deal with each other.

Until then, report the driver and continue to take lessons / keep driving. The only way to stop cutting out, embarrassing as it is, is to continue driving and improving. In time, you will become those drivers we all despise.

Best of luck

• Advertisement

Or we will soon just be sitting in a car allowing computers and sensors to drive us!

Advertisement