Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei /Honor

Options

Comments

the cpu in that dell is 5 years old and dual-core

the one in the magicbook is from last year, quad-core and far more powerful. the integrated graphics are also a multiple more powerful

the build quality on the magicbook is light years ahead. not even comparable

the screen , keyboard also likely a lot better

the magicbook costs just over €500 right now - amazing deal

that dell is dire value

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

glasso wrote: »

the one in the magicbook is from last year, quad-core and far more powerful. the integrated graphics are also a multiple more powerful

that dell is dire value

Thanks for that glasso.
    Can you add more memory to it?
    I read somewhere that you can't.
    In terms of performance in comparison with i5 Intel would the ryzen be as good /better?

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Thanks for that glasso.
    Can you add more memory to it?
    I read somewhere that you can't.
    In terms of performance in comparison with i5 Intel would the ryzen be as good /better?

you can't add more than the 8gb that is in there.

that is standard enough these days. soldered ram is used for performance and size reasons.

8gb is perfectly fine for now and the forseeable future for window 10 outside regular heavy video editing really. for t the majority of people you will be fine.

the 3500u compares well to current i5's (beats old ones down the road). the intel would be a bit ahead on pure cpu power but ryzen beats the intel on graphics.

but the cpu power of the quad-core ryzen 5 is plenty for most normal use cases and runs fast and smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭becksy79

Did anyone buy the honorbook with 12 months office and watch?

I received my order today but not the office 365 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

becksy79 wrote: »
    Did anyone buy the honorbook with 12 months office and watch?

I received my order today but not the office 365 ��

Office 365 is now Microsoft 365. New name, more benefits. Microsoft 365 is a subscription service that ensures you always have the most up-to-date modern productivity tools from Microsoft. ... Office 2019 is sold as a one-time purchase, which means you pay a single, up-front cost to get Office apps for one computer.

Isn't Office 365 basically a cloud based annual subscription service !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭becksy79

Whoops, yeah meant Microsoft 365, I contacted customer care, they said they there should have been a code in the box for it, they will double check the order and get back to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Sorry to hijack the thread lads but do ye reckon this is a decent deal on a matebook?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/huawei-matebook-d-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-space-grey-10205030-pdt.html

A bit on the expensive side perhaps?

El Sueño wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread lads but do ye reckon this is a decent deal on a matebook?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/huawei-matebook-d-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-space-grey-10205030-pdt.html

A bit on the expensive side perhaps?

it's £500 on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

it's £500 on amazon

Ah yes I've found the link now, thanks a mill. It's basically the same as the one mentioned earlier in the thread but with an inch extra screen size?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Advertisement

the 3500u came out in 2019 , it's a good quad-core cpu that will run all common tasks with ease and even play light gaming titles like rocket league.

in the matebook or magicbook it runs to the best of its ability due to good thermal design

as it's a already a good cpu the new mythical amd 4000 cpus won't provide a noticable difference in day-to-day tasks

only for things like heavy video editing will a difference be seen with higher end cpus

in fact it depends on what model you have. the 4300u is pretty much the same as the 3500u.

higher end 4000 series cpus are more expensive

besides nothing available over in Europe anywhere near the price or build quality of the magicbook.

if you can wait until next year or end of this year maybe but doubt the price will be as good

14 inch has a bigger battery than the 15.6 inch (both models on amazon)

possibly cheaper on hihonor.com also on box.co.uk

you can see how smoothly it runs here

El Sueño wrote: »
    Ah yes I've found the link now, thanks a mill. It's basically the same as the one mentioned earlier in the thread but with an inch extra screen size?

there is always some gobshyte talking about something that is not available yet, not available for order where you can order from and furthermore has no idea of what the actual price may/will be.

if you need a laptop now the magicbook / matebook d is a great choice at a great price.

I'd personally go for the 14 inch model due to 30% bigger battery and more portability. 14 inch screen is plenty to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mno101

there is always some gobshyte talking about something that is not available yet, not available for order where you can order from and furthermore has no idea of what the actual price may/will be.

if you need a laptop now the magicbook / matebook d is a great choice at a great price.

I'd personally go for the 14 inch model due to 30% bigger battery and more portability. 14 inch screen is plenty to work with.

i have mine now (14") nearly 5 weeks. took the recommendation from glasso...got the deal with the watch..can't recommend it highly enough so far (also very impressed with the watch )

New honor due out end september also Intel new faster cpu laptops due out october

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgxm0ejCpF8

New honor out end september

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Hi, I am really tempted by the honor magicbook 15 at its current price. I had also considered buying a refurbished laptop, either lenovo (thinkpad) or Dell with them being more established laptop brands. Am unsure what to do and would welcome honest opinions on what would be best. I will be using the laptop primarily for college work and want something reliable and fast for the next 4 years or so.

I had been looking at a refurbished Dell latitude with the following spec for around €550:

Core i5-6300U 6th Generation @ 2.4 GHz256GB SSD8GB RAMWindows 10 HomeVGA, HDMI

How would this or a similar spec lenovo refurbished model compare with the honor magicbook?
    Or any other suggestions? My budget would be 500.
    Thanks!
    New honor out end september and new faster Intel laptops out in october

that dell is dire value
    Price will drop as new one comes out in 2 weeks

bobbyy gee wrote: »

it won't ever go any cheaper than £449 which it was at for a while recently. I'll bet on that.

the new one with the 4500u is going to cost from £670 / €750

https://www.neowin.net/news/honor-introduces-new-magicbook-and-magicbook-pro-with-ryzen-5-processors

that's going to be out of the budget of a lot of people not willing to spend more than €500 / €550

that's effectively a price segment up.

so it's not even directly comparable

for many if not most people the 3500u is plenty of cpu power for browsing, ms office stuff tasks

you seem to have a bit of an obsession with the newer cpus. fair enough. but the price is not even similar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

it won't ever go any cheaper than £449 which it was at for a while recently. I'll bet on that.

the new one with the 4500u is going to cost from £670 / €750

https://www.neowin.net/news/honor-introduces-new-magicbook-and-magicbook-pro-with-ryzen-5-processors

that's going to be out of the budget of a lot of people not willing to spend more than €500 / €550

that's effectively a price segment up.

so it's not even directly comparable

for many if not most people the 3500u is plenty of cpu power for browsing, ms office stuff tasks

you seem to have a bit of an obsession with the newer cpus. fair enough. but the price is not even similar

The pro actually looks a decent spec for the discounted continental price (albeit continental keyboard too). UK seem to be getting shafted a bit on price tbh. Heat might be an issue with a 4600h chip in that body though. Be interesting to see the first real world reviews. Any thoughts on the build spec? Overkill or very nice?

• Advertisement

I'm sure that the build will be decent given Huawei's usual laptop quality

there was a gaming laptop with the 4600h and a 1650 card going for £650 though so even though the build is good on the matebook pro €900 / £860 is not that great a price really maybe unless you really need what it offers

obviously a good bit harder to run a H chip in a slim metal chassis but if you don't need the relative portability (although the magicbook is lighter by a decent amount) the gaming laptop options could be a better one to go for

of course it has 16gb ram and a good quality screen too

good option for video editing creators who need lightness and colour accuracy

would have to see how the thermals allow the chip to run when it comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-magicbook-pro

Is this a new one? I didnt notice this the last time I checked the site..

Its a bit out of my price range, but the 100% RGB is enticing me.

Any thoughts?

I will be using this for a digital marketing course, with the hope to use it freelancing in the future.. and also the usual msoffice, netflix etc.

oopsies wrote: »
    https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-magicbook-pro

Is this a new one? I didnt notice this the last time I checked the site..

Its a bit out of my price range, but the 100% RGB is enticing me.

Any thoughts?

I will be using this for a digital marketing course, with the hope to use it freelancing in the future.. and also the usual msoffice, netflix etc.

Look up

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Christ its up to £549 now on the website. This is £100 dearer then it was on the 27/8 !!. Obviously its gouge the student for the next week or so !

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    a clanger wrote: »
    Christ its up to £549 now on the website. This is £100 dearer then it was on the 27/8 !!. Obviously its gouge the student for the next week or so !

Some renowned experts seem to be wrong on this lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

a clanger wrote: »

Starting a course soon and kicking myself I hesitated and didn't pull the trigger when it was £449.
    Do people here reckon it will drop again in a few weeks? If so any educated guesses on how long? Will they most likely let September pass before dropping the price again?

Who knows.

Could be running out of stock of the older CPU model tbh and the new one is £670.

If it goes back to £500 is go for it

Also on sale on Amazon and box.co.uk

£549 was the "normal" price for the 14 on hihonor initially. it was £599 on amazon for the smaller size ssd matebook 14

Starting a course soon and kicking myself I hesitated and didn't pull the trigger when it was £449.
    Do people here reckon it will drop again in a few weeks? If so any educated guesses on how long? Will they most likely let September pass before dropping the price again?
    I would wait until October when Intel faster cpu comes out
    Intel has just announced the first of its 11th Gen Core CPUs, codenamed 'Tiger Lake', which are interesting for a number of reasons including the use of Intel's powerful new Iris Xe integrated graphics capabilities, and also improvements to performance and battery life thanks to a more modern architecture. They will be available later this year in ultraportable laptops, which now make up a huge proportion of the market.you should see big drop on prices of 10th gen intel laptops
    And ands older 3500 cpu laptops as new 4000 are already out
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3571114/intel-11th-gen-tiger-lake-vs-amd-ryzen-4000.html

• Advertisement

The Magicbook 15 is £499 on Amazon if that's any use to you. When looking into these laptops a few months ago (after Glasso's recommendation), it seems that the 15 is different to the 14 in two ways (along with screen size obviously) and it's that the 15 doesn't have a backlit keyboard (the 14 does) and the battery life is shorter than the 14.

Advertisement