Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greece this summer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Has anyone who's travelled to Greece recently from Ireland been tested on arrival? Trying to plan out our days and wondering how likely it is we'll have to isolate for the first day.

It's entirely random.. just fill out your online form, you get emailed a barcode and show it upon arrival...

You're asked to self-isolate for 1 day while you await the results if you are tested, which shouldn't be an issue.

I'd say the chances of you being stopped for a test is very small indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

Has anyone who's travelled to Greece recently from Ireland been tested on arrival? Trying to plan out our days and wondering how likely it is we'll have to isolate for the first day.

They test a lot of people, its not just a small random sample. Id say half my flight was tested. I was not tested though

xvril wrote: »
    They test a lot of people, its not just a small random sample. Id say half my flight was tested. I was not tested though

Interesting, i'd of said the opposite... Which airport was this at?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Interesting, i'd of said the opposite... Which airport was this at?

Thessaloniki

Thessaloniki

Ah right, I flew into Rhodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ah right, I flew into Rhodes.

What was Rhodes like ? Quiet ?

Robson99 wrote: »
    What was Rhodes like ? Quiet ?

Compared to the numbers they'd usually have at this time of year, less than half...
    No Irish that I observed, and few English...

Good time to go as such as there's no crowds...

Harbour area is busy at nighttime but probably as many locals as tourists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Laurax96x75

Cheers for the replies. Our Ryanair flight to Crete this weekend is sold out now, fingers crossed the mask policy is enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Cheers for the replies. Our Ryanair flight to Crete this weekend is sold out now, fingers crossed the mask policy is enforced.

Bear in mind that even though it's sold out the flight is unlikely to be full. There will probably be a substantial number of no shows.

VG31 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that even though it's sold out the flight is unlikely to be full. There will probably be a substantial number of no shows.

I expected the same thing however both flights I took in and out of Greece were full, I just got lucky in getting a row to myself but I was the only one...Any flights to sun destinations will generally all be full.
    Commuter routes or city flights will be the ones less full.

• Advertisement

You will be breathing the same air for four hours regardless so I wouldn't worry about being next to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

You will be breathing the same air for four hours regardless so I wouldn't worry about being next to someone

This shows how safe flying is as long as everyone wears a mask.
    Masks work by stopping most of the droplets which occur when people cough, sneeze or talk. They are better at protecting you from other people than vice versa, but if everybody wears a mask, the impact can be dramatic.

In one case, a man flew from China to Toronto and subsequently tested positive for Covid-19.

He had a dry cough and wore a mask on the flight yet all 25 people closest to him on the flight tested negative for Covid-19.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/masks-q-a-who-has-to-wear-them-in-shops-and-what-happens-if-you-don-t-1.4324060

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Then why is there not an epidemic amongst flight attendants?

I think you will find that the air is replenished every few minutes. The only danger is proximity and time spent next to someone with covid

Just booked Corfu for next month. Should be a bit cooler hopefully...
    Flight's around 3 hours so that's grand. Flights were €30 each way.
    A few days in Corfu town to relax outdoors, restaurants without time-limits and a bar without a €9 toastie... Should be great!...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Just booked Corfu for next month. Should be a bit cooler hopefully...
    Flight's around 3 hours so that's grand. Flights were €30 each way.
    A few days in Corfu town to relax outdoors, restaurants without time-limits and a bar without a €9 toastie... Should be great!...

That's some bargain! Corfu town is lovely.

Great to see that Corfu and Mykonos have been added to Ryanair's routes. Lovely to see more Greek options available. I hope these routes will be kept on.

RubyK wrote: »
    That's some bargain! Corfu town is lovely.
    Great to see that Corfu and Mykonos have been added to Ryanair's routes. Lovely to see more Greek options available. I hope these routes will be kept on.

Have a lovely apartment reserved right in the heart of the old town for less than €100 a night...

I wanted to go to Mykonos as the flight prices are roughly the same, however the price of accommodation around the main town is still quite high, though it's the 2nd most popular island next to Santorini I'd say...

There really are some bargains to be had. I'd near go back for a second summer holiday haha.

There really are some bargains to be had. I'd near go back for a second summer holiday haha.

For sure, it's gonna be a long tough winter ahead so make the most of it while we all can...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Unfortunately there appears to be a big spike in cases in Greece i wouldnt be suprised if the fcukers took it off the green list :confused:

Greece still lower than Ireland but up to 9.4, apparently this website is what they base their decision to remove countrys from this farcical green list

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

You can be sure that's what their next aim is.

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there appears to be a big spike in cases in Greece i wouldnt be suprised if the fcukers took it off the green list :confused:Greece still lower than Ireland but up to 9.4, apparently this website is what they base their decision to remove countrys from this farcical green list
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

If you were to go by the magic Green list then Kildare, Laois and Offaly wouldn't be on it.
    Even if a country isn't on it when you go, it could be on it before you come back.

So, just make your own best judgement, if your sole guide is the list then best not to travel anywhere.

Yeah they are getting the spike they were expecting when they welcomed tourists, nothing I would be concerned about if I was travelling.

johnire wrote: »
    I’ve no views one way or the other but by what you’ve said in your post you’ve just admitted that travel increases cases so surely that debunks the myth that travel isn’t an issue in spreading the virus?

I dont think I ever said that? If someone with the virus travels from A to B then of course there is a chance they could spread the virus. Greece test a lot of arrivals but of course some are going to slip through the cracks, its just about containment then. Greece has a larger population than us so they've done pretty well thus far.

Do I believe you are more likely to get it travelling to Greece than staying at home? No tbh. Id say you are more likely to get the virus here, my experience in Greece was they were very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

I’m sorry I just don’t understand the point you’re making.
    You said the following-

they are getting the spike they were expecting when they welcomed tourists

So that had to mean the spike wouldn’t have occurred if they hadn’t welcomed tourists?
    I’m not doubting that Greece hasn’t done well and I never said that by travelling to Greece I would catch the virus.

I dont think I ever said that? If someone with the virus travels from A to B then of course there is a chance they could spread the virus. Greece test a lot of arrivals but of course some are going to slip through the cracks, its just about containment then. Greece has a larger population than us so they've done pretty well thus far.

Do I believe you are more likely to get it travelling to Greece than staying at home? No tbh. Id say you are more likely to get the virus here, my experience in Greece was they were very careful.

johnire wrote: »
    I’m sorry I just don’t understand the point you’re making.
    You said the following-

they are getting the spike they were expecting when they welcomed tourists

So that had to mean the spike wouldn’t have occurred if they hadn’t welcomed tourists?
    I’m not doubting that Greece hasn’t done well and I never said that by travelling to Greece I would catch the virus.

I dont think it would have no. They were in a position to handle it and needed the tourism for their economy so they made that decision.

Every country is different.

In saying that, countries that did not welcome tourists are also getting spikes in case numbers.

So possibly its just all related to reopening, I don't actually know the answer I can only speculate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

If you were to go by the magic Green list then Kildare, Laois and Offaly wouldn't be on it.
    Even if a country isn't on it when you go, it could be on it before you come back.

So, just make your own best judgement, if your sole guide is the list then best not to travel anywhere.

i understand but i believe they do base their decisions on the link i posted, io do want to go abroad but the thoiughts being in say Greece and while we are there it's taken off the list wouldnt be good, it's still lower than Ireland though they did have over 200 cases today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I follow two Travel subs a bit on Reddit and this week someone was researching their Greece trip, but for "either September 2021 or September 2022", depending on how much Covid fcuks off

They asked "best Greek island?" and the top few answers all said Crete

I was expecting Santorini to come out on top as it looks next level beautiful. But Crete seems to tick more boxes among these seasoned travelers

Just thought I'd share

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I follow two Travel subs a bit on Reddit and this week someone was researching their Greece trip, but for "either September 2021 or September 2022", depending on how much Covid fcuks off
    They asked "best Greek island?" and the top few answers all said Crete
    I was expecting Santorini to come out on top as it looks next level beautiful. But Crete seems to tick more boxes among these seasoned travelers
    Just thought I'd share

Wow only a year or two to research a trip to Greece, hope it's enough time! :D

There's 227 inhabited Islands so each one of them offers something different, Crete is a big island so loads of variety and things to see. Santorini has the beauty of the town of Oia,

No big plan needed, fly into Athens, and Ferry hop all the way down to Crete and back up to Corfu, perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GalwayBmw

Today in the airport we were let known that we need that form to be completed, we lost our flight over this. Re-booked for Thursday, the form is now completed pending bar code sending. Can anyone share their experience re processing times - are we supposed to get bar codes issued over night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

GalwayBmw wrote: »
    Today in the airport we were let known that we need that form to be completed, we lost our flight over this.

That sounds messy

Did the airline/travel company not mention this in the confirmation email?

Advertisement