Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS9 - First Watch

Options
  • 19-05-2020 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I grew up with TNG on telly in the evenings in the background as a child, and I never watched TOS.

About 2 years ago, I decided I'd watch the full TNG on Netflix. Watched all 7 seasons, plan to watch the movies at some point.

Then I remembered in early 2000s I used to watch Voyager on RTE at night, so I said, go on, I'll watch Voyager. Watched all 7 seasons of that.

Discovery happened, and I gave it a go. Watched the first season, and a few episodes of the second and then life got busy and when I went to return to it, I found I didn't care less about it, and wasn't enjoying it, so that was that.

I started with Enterprise and got about 6 episodes into it. Didn't hate it, but just kinda lost interest, I might return to this (and skip the intro theme each time!).

Then I'd heard that DS9 was the best of them, but had always had reservations for some unconscious reason. I started watching it, and after the first few episodes, I wasn't convinced. This didn't feel like Star Trek to me. But I stuck with it.

I'm now midway through season 3. This is the most I've enjoyed any of the ST series. I'm loving it! And I've heard that it only gets good from Season 4, when the Dominion storyline takes off and Worf joins the cast etc. I can't help but feel I'm in for a treat!

The characters thus far seem much better filled out than they did in other seasons, less 2D characters, still has humour in spots (Grand Nagus!), Sisko is great, I really like Odo, and even Quark & Rom, and Miles (howya) is great too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you are enjoying early DS9 (I did!) I recommend some of the tie in novels I really enjoyed from the same DS9 period:
    Proud Helios
    The Siege
    Fallen Heroes
    Station Rage

And there's a prequel series 'Terok Nor' for when you're finished the run:
    Day of the Vipers
    Night of the Wolves
    Dawn of the Eagles

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I'm watching it for the first time too. Halfway through season two. It's good, I enjoy the Odo/Quark frenemy relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Revit Man

Took me until halfway or more through season 1 before i started to enjoy it. I just kinda put up with the first half of it, probably nothing to do with the show but rather the change in setting/tone to other ST series.

There's a young baby in the house, so early mornings or during the night if she needs a feed, I find myself sticking on the telly and watching an episode, the only time i'm getting to squeeze it in, so I'm loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Revit Man wrote: »

I'm now midway through season 3. This is the most I've enjoyed any of the ST series. I'm loving it! And I've heard that it only gets good from Season 4, when the Dominion storyline takes off and Worf joins the cast etc. I can't help but feel I'm in for a treat!

Thought towards the end of Season 2 was when it got good myself.

Season 3 has some of the best episodes of the series such as "Past Tense".

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Revit Man

Past Tense was an enjoyable two-parter, definitely. I was thinking if S3 is this good, can't wait for S4, but maybe the quality has already risen. Good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

if you think its good already you will be even more happy by season 4 onwards

More characters with even more development.,
    Factor in this was one of the first tv show, not just in trek but on all american tv that was going for arc, the use of CGI etc,
    It was often called the ugly duckling or black sheep of the franchise, but its not the swan and its reputation has only improved year on year

Advertisement