Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lock down photography

• 03-04-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

While alot of us are at home at the moment,
    I was wondering what your up to photography wise
    For myself I was look back over some images and re editing, etc. I have always thought to myself that nearly everything can make make a nice photo, so I was wondering if there would be any interest in a sort of challenge thread where a household item is chosen as the subject?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Downloaded darktable to improve my digital editing skills. Got bored quickly, I prefer to go with in camera results as much as possible and then some very light fixing.

Dug out an old macro lens and have been wandering the house with it to see what I can see :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

I found Darktable unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I still take my camera out on my daily walks (OK, not every day - my youngest is taking up some of the slack), Lots of flowers, buds etc. and people. The garden is getting tended to and the bird feeders are out so that is a potential source. I have long since gone through all my old stuff. So I think my macro lenses will make an appearance.

But as I normally work from home I don't have that much extra time (yet).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You suggested it Adrian, so pick a household object.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

I still take my camera out on my daily walks (OK, not every day - my youngest is taking up some of the slack), Lots of flowers, buds etc. and people. The garden is getting tended to and the bird feeders are out so that is a potential source. I have long since gone through all my old stuff. So I think my macro lenses will make an appearance.

But as I normally work from home I don't have that much extra time (yet).

What is the story re taking pictures while out walking? I haven’t taken my camera with me since the lockdown, would I be in trouble with the guards if they see me?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭GBX

glaswegian wrote: »
    What is the story re taking pictures while out walking? I haven’t taken my camera with me since the lockdown, would I be in trouble with the guards if they see me?

Thanks.

No. It's your exercise within 2km of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

GBX wrote: »
    No. It's your exercise within 2km of home.
    Thanks GBX,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There’s lots of fun to be had doing macro photography around the house. Kitchen utensils, water drops etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

I've a macro mode on one of my lenses - and now I've a chance to see what it does. There's even a flower in the back garden that hasn't been ruined.

There're very few visible birds around here, mind, didn't go anywhere near the feeders. But the full moon gave me a chance to take the 300mm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Macro is a lot of fun. And you don't need expesive gear to experiment and get started...you can get close up filters for a tener on Amazon if you just want to try (you get what you pay for, but to try they are ok).

I actually use a bridge camera 99% of the time as carrying gear, changing lens, etc, bores me to dead (please don't kick me out of the forum :) ) and attach a Raynox or Marumi macro filter for macro shots.

In addition to household items, if you have access to a garden/park, there is a new world to be discovered. It is actually a nice activity to do with the children, they love looking for the creepy creatures for me to photograph.

Another little project I have started is a set about "My 2 kms", beautiful places around me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

I've done a "2" project....

2 photos taken within
    • 2m of the front door (macro)
    • 20m of the front door - family candid photos
    • 200m of the front door - street photos
    • 2km of the front door - landscape/seascape

No problems with the Guards - the only time I was approached was to be asked if by chance I'd videoed a couple of yokels speeding around on the beach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

I've done a "2" project....

2 photos taken within
    • 2m of the front door (macro)
    • 20m of the front door - family candid photos
    • 200m of the front door - street photos
    • 2km of the front door - landscape/seascape

No problems with the Guards - the only time I was approached was to be asked if by chance I'd videoed a couple of yokels speeding around on the beach!

how did the images turn out ?
    i tried some indoor macro water droplet refraction type shots but there pure garbage haha

copperhead wrote: »
    how did the images turn out ?
    i tried some indoor macro water droplet refraction type shots but there pure garbage haha

Not too bad, despite them not being shot with a macro lens.

I stuck one in the Random Photos thread

I've never really tried macro before but now I want to get a proper lens to do more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Probably been seen in the other threads but:

Macro:
    49725659012_c54508db88_z.jpgScience experiments at home. by Simon Smyth, on Flickr

Water Splash:
    49756077193_3923924216_z.jpgLetting Loose During Lock-down Part 1. by Simon Smyth, on Flickr

I want to give try out dropping things in glasses or bowls to freeze the splashes but dont have an 2nd off camera flash. I suppose I'll try it anyway until I get in trouble for making a mess in the kitchen :)

Not too bad, despite them not being shot with a macro lens.

I stuck one in the Random Photos thread

I've never really tried macro before but now I want to get a proper lens to do more!

so now I have a macro lens :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

taking a lot of momento photos as these are truly historical times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

If I can't go more than 2km from my house, at least my drone can...and meet others too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

love at first sight? think your drone has found a partner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

If I can't get more than 2km from the house - the least I can do is bring things 2km away closer.

Little bit tricky to focus mind, and god help whatever the combination is dropped on.

I've spent far too much on ebay these last weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

smokingman wrote: »
    If I can't go more than 2km from my house, at least my drone can...and meet others too.

Scoot across the hill and get some shots of Randoon and the rock just on sunset, should be able to get some magic up there with the lake in the background.
    ;) I'm a local too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

49795148096_2530b84370_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Tubes!
    49858479152_efa8e18945_c.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

49856751552_9bc0536439_c.jpg

49847164743_73ed9fa7a4_c.jpg

:DMerryn by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

Thankfully, my daughter is better looking than me!

49856461751_1954cbe2ee_c.jpg

49855923628_1f7e91533c_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

great shots guys
    adrian your daughter is very photogenic , she has wonderful eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Great photo of Larry David floating around. The proportions of the house make the photo. Wow.

EUzzbDVWsAAQPIn?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Sauce shelf in my fridge. I must get a Lume Cube or similar. I really enjoy shooting with lights.

512259.JPG

• Advertisement

49875607616_c43999861a_c.jpg

Ornamental Onion by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

I found this little beauty growing beside the path during my daily walk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

512394.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The lockdown is a disaster for work. Currently doing pro-bono work with graphics and archived shots on social media for my clients that are having the same disastrous effects for their business which has caught a bit off attention and attracted new customers. That's just about keeping the money coming in.

I've had to resort to stock photography. On the other hand, my contributor stock on Shutterstock has spiked, but the payments are just a joke.

Basically I'm paying a fortune to buy stock and being paying a pittance for supplying stock.

Working on a new photojournalist project that might make money in the future.

49884734912_3ab39abf4b_c.jpg

Departing by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

Taken this evening during a quick visit to the park across the road!

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Great photo of Larry David floating around. The proportions of the house make the photo. Wow.

EUzzbDVWsAAQPIn?format=jpg&name=large

I can just see him getting into an argument with the delivery guy - whilst observing social distancing of course!

:D

49875607616_c43999861a_c.jpg

Ornamental Onion by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

I found this little beauty growing beside the path during my daily walk!

Gorgeous, what f stop is this at ?
    edit- just checked flickr link I see f/5.0 ...

I have the canon 50mm f1.4, and I notice It's hard to get a clear shot at f/1.4, i rarely use it, normally go for f/2.8 at most.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tom,

I was using a Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro lens. As the subject is so close to the lens, this always gives a lovely bokeh if you get a little separation from subject and background. Even at much smaller aperture.

I should have taken it at f8 or above to get a greater depth of field but as it was handheld in a slight breeze I decided not too :(

49855910138_0672d57d3b_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Put together the below timelapse movie over the last few weeks. All locations within 2KM of my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Chavways wrote: »
    Put together the below timelapse movie over the last few weeks. All locations within 2KM of my house.

Wow, really beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

All of these photos are great. I found the following international places photos marvelous in this quarantine. Yes, I didn't have opportunity to capture them but I am sharing with you.

GettyImages-1217394231.jpg

Above is a photo from Tokyo street where life was busy at night but in lockdown days, it is looking empty.

GettyImages-1216435615.jpg

See how Roma is looking like after the lockdown. They suffered a lot in this pandemic and I want to wish them blessings and love.

I am beginner in photography and usually take photos for my blog from my phone. According to my friend, i should start my photography business because I am good at taking them with smartphone. Right now, I am on my way to choose a good photography brand name from here and then I would decide either I would continue to professional photography or not. I am curious to know how photographers sell their photos at 500px or iStock.

Moreover, I am love these lockdown photos:

venice-5-gty-er-191113_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg

Yeah! after lockdown, Venice canals are enough clearer to see under the water.

GettyImages-1217301775.jpg

No crowd on New York roads. Mayhap, a positive side of this pandemic.

Advertisement