Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus/Train travel within Ireland, US Citizen

• 12-08-2020 8:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm a permanent resident living in Ireland since 2015, from the US. Is anything 'special' required of me and my US accent to ride the bus or train today? Besides a face mask, of course.
    I need to make a short-ish trip and can't find if I need to have my passport or whatever, I hope not.

And, no, I don't have plane tickets, haven't been out of Ireland for 3 years.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Face mask and the correct fare for the bus as they don't give change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭mrskinner

You can book online at www.buseireann.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The only requirement, apart from face-covering, is that your journey is necessary. You won't be asked for proof of this

You may(*) get some unpleasant looks, comments, maybe even questions. If you can, make your i-live-here status obvious in conversation, these could be reduced.

(*) whether you deserve these is irrelevant. As a foreigner, I don't blame the locals for doing this at all. Just wish they'd ask up front rather than being passive-aggressive about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

You've been in Ireland 5 years, but have never gotten a bus or train?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

woodchuck wrote: »
    You've been in Ireland 5 years, but have never gotten a bus or train?

I've ridden the bus & train in Ireland many times. I was asking if there were any Covid-19 related demands that aren't obvious. It doesn't appear that such is the case - I rock up to the bus or train, wearing my mask with my ticket and I'm good to go.

And, yeah, I'm expecting perhaps an odd glance or two, but there's nothing more than that. If absolutely forced, I do have a driving license and a GNIB card if someone in authority asks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

You'll be fine then. The only thing that has changed is that we all need to wear face masks. I can't imagine anyone confronting you or asking for additional document because of the accent (maybe a few funny looks though as people are a little paranoid). If anyone asks though, just tell them what you've told us here - that you're a permanent resident and haven't been out of the country in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

The only requirement, apart from face-covering, is that your journey is necessary. You won't be asked for proof of this

I don't think anyone is following that guideline anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

If you cross the border then you'll need your passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Maybe just something to prove that you do live here permanently and are not a tourist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Gael23 wrote: »
    Maybe just something to prove that you do live here permanently and are not a tourist

The GNIB (now called the IRP) proves that. As it turns out, I made the trip by car.

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement