Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: The Animated Series

Options
  • 31-07-2020 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭

With two new Star Trek cartoon series in the works,

Ive gone back and re-watched the original animated series on Netflix.

Its actually quite good for its time and really does feel like season 4 of the original show.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have iron DVD. Must pull them out and rewatch them all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Inviere

I finished it there recently enough. I remember enjoying it when I was younger, but for the life of me this was the biggest slog ever getting through them. The voice acting is fine, the animation is fine considering the age, the stories are fine...but put them all together, and it's a tough watch for me. I'll likely never bother with them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Rawr

I always loved some of the tricks Filmation pulled in this show (and others) to lower costs.

Like instead of drawing them in spacesuits they'd add a "Life Support Belt", which was just a glowing outline to the cells they'd already made for the indoor scenes :P

e265b6b581eb2ec8cf3433d914fe7e80.jpg?itok=wjeqXl6a

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Inviere

Rawr wrote: »
    I always loved some of the tricks Filmation pulled in this show (and others) to lower costs.

Also the main cast twisting their voices to voice-act other characters too was particularly noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Inviere wrote: »
    Also the main cast twisting their voices to voice-act other characters too was particularly noticeable.

I seem to remember Jimmy Doohan did that a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

JayRoc wrote: »
    I seem to remember Jimmy Doohan did that a lot

Think he also played some Klingons in TOS

Edit: he was Kor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Why on Gods green Earth is Uhura replaced with the cat thing and still voiced by Nichelle Nichols?

Think he also played some Klingons in TOS

Edit: he was Kor

The Klingon in Errand of Mercy??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Why on Gods green Earth is Uhura replaced with the cat thing and still voiced by Nichelle Nichols?

Replaced? Uhura is there too.

JayRoc wrote: »
    The Klingon in Errand of Mercy??

Voiced by Doohan in TAS, not played by him in TOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Goodshape wrote: »
    Voiced by Doohan in TAS, not played by him in TOS.

Think he also created the first words of the Klingon language. Before they hired those to flesh it out.

Although in TOS he did the voice for Sargon, M-5 Mulitronic Unit, the Melkotian Buoy, and the Oracle of the people.

I rewatch it every few years, mostly for camp value if I'm totally honest.

But the guys fron The Greatest Generation podcast are reviewing a few of them at the moment which is entertaining enough, they're actually a lot more forgiving of the episodes than I would have expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Been a while since I watched it. I remember it having quite a few terrible episodes but also a few gems ("Yesteryear", "Counter-clock incident" for example). The bad episodes seemed to be mostly dragged down by the running length, wasn't enough time in the 22 mins to allow the story to properly develop.

The animation itself is hilariously bad. Looks okay (aside from skin coloured eyeballs) when you see still frames from it, but when watching it's the same still frame for several seconds at a time before anything moves which is a bit jarring.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    Been a while since I watched it. I remember it having quite a few terrible episodes but also a few gems ("Yesteryear", "Counter-clock incident" for example). The bad episodes seemed to be mostly dragged down by the running length, wasn't enough time in the 22 mins to allow the story to properly develop.

The animation itself is hilariously bad. Looks okay (aside from skin coloured eyeballs) when you see still frames from it, but when watching it's the same still frame for several seconds at a time before anything moves which is a bit jarring.

Ha, the fesh-coloured eyeballs are so distracting!

The pacing is pretty rough, and the stock music (the same few bars for when anything remotely dramatic happens) but still...it's Trek and it's the original (most of them) cast!

Think he also created the first words of the Klingon language. Before they hired those to flesh it out.

Yeah, for The Motion Picture. Also, Mark Lenard (Sarek) played the Klingon commander in that opening scene.

Doohan also created the Vulcan language in TMP. Not sure if that was the first time we heard Vulcan or not.

Advertisement