Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering a dental implant in Cork

• 11-06-2020 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I have a broken molar that needs to come out. I've had a couple of teeth extracted in the past and haven't replaced them but this one is quite large and towards the front of my mouth, so if it was removed it would leave a gap when smiling, and also leave the teeth behind it vulnerable as they aren't very strong teeth.
    So I am considering an implant. Are they pretty routine these days, or can they be problematic?
    Also, have ye any recommendations or places to avoid in Cork? (can PM me if you don't want to put anything public.)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

shnaek wrote: »
    I have a broken molar that needs to come out. I've had a couple of teeth extracted in the past and haven't replaced them but this one is quite large and towards the front of my mouth, so if it was removed it would leave a gap when smiling, and also leave the teeth behind it vulnerable as they aren't very strong teeth.
    So I am considering an implant. Are they pretty routine these days, or can they be problematic?
    Also, have ye any recommendations or places to avoid in Cork? (can PM me if you don't want to put anything public.)
    Thanks!

Dental Implants are very routien and very successful in the right hands. I will make a recommendation to you by PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

Do they charge for a consultation, or will they tell you the cost over the phone?

Do they charge for a consultation, or will they tell you the cost over the phone?

Most if not all charge for their time, so yes to consultation charge, price will depend on treatment necessary, there may be a guide price, but that may not necessarily apply specifically to you.

My own dentist doesn't do implants, and she recommended a place and said that sometimes they rather the tooth not be extracted in advance so they can do it all. The people she recommended rang me and said I'd need to see two consultants, one for the extraction and one for the implant. €200. I don't have money to burn so this kinda got me worried, as it looks like that was just talking about taking the tooth out and talking about the implant. That's why I wanted further recommendations. I don't want Dr Nick, but I don't want to be overpaying either :)

The first appointment will be a consultation to examine the area where the tooth is to be replaced with an implant, take the necessary xrays, discuss the treatment with you, outline and risks and plan your treatment. The second will be to extract the tooth, graft if necessary or do an immediate implant placement. When you go to see a medical surgeon to diagnose a problem and plan treatment, you don’t usually expect to have surgery the same day.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    The first appointment will be a consultation to examine the area where the tooth is to be replaced with an implant, take the necessary xrays, discuss the treatment with you, outline and risks and plan your treatment. The second will be to extract the tooth, graft if necessary or do an immediate implant placement. When you go to see a medical surgeon to diagnose a problem and plan treatment, you don’t usually expect to have surgery the same day.

Ah yeah, I totally get that, but my dentist had already told me I need the tooth extracted, so I thought would I be better off just go back to her and get it out, that would cost €100 and job done. Seems a waste to go to another consultant who is going to tell me the same thing and pay them €100 for them to tell me that, and then another €x to have it extracted by them at a future date, no?
    Then I'd just see the one consultant with them to talk about the implant treatment etc. rather than seeing two consultants

Ah yeah, I totally get that, but my dentist had already told me I need the tooth extracted, so I thought would I be better off just go back to her and get it out, that would cost €100 and job done. Seems a waste to go to another consultant who is going to tell me the same thing and pay them €100 for them to tell me that, and then another €x to have it extracted by them at a future date, no?
    Then I'd just see the one consultant with them to talk about the implant treatment etc. rather than seeing two consultants

If you feel you want to save money, crack on, but if there is a defect in the bone when it comes to placing the implant, the additional cost of a graft will have to be accepted by you if you wish to proceed. Implant surgeons like to remove the tooth as they will be careful to ensure the buccal plate of bone is kept intact if possible and occasionally, if bone quality is good and no infection, they may be able to place the implant immediately. You are going to invest a lot of your time and money on this, you might save on the extraction, but pay more if the site needs to be grafted later. Your call.

If you feel you want to save money, crack on, but if there is a defect in the bone when it comes to placing the implant, the additional cost of a graft will have to be accepted by you if you wish to proceed. Implant surgeons like to remove the tooth as they will be careful to ensure the buccal plate of bone is kept intact if possible and occasionally, if bone quality is good and no infection, they may be able to place the implant immediately. You are going to invest a lot of your time and money on this, you might save on the extraction, but pay more if the site needs to be grafted later. Your call.

That's what I thought myself, that they would rather pull it themselves and that they might be able to put the implant in at the time also, that's why I held on to it in the first place. But the receptionist at the clinic who phoned me said that it doesn't matter to them at all whether the tooth was there or not. I was surprised to hear it, as I had thought that what you were saying was correct, and I've no interest in saving money that would result in future problems, but at least from what you were saying the receptionist was incorrect in what she said - that makes me feel a bit better actually. I even asked her a second time as I was a bit taken aback, and she said it doesn't matter at all to them. Strange.
    Also, why two consultants? Shouldn't one be able to do the job you outlined above?

One places the implant, the other does the cosmetic phase.

One places the implant, the other does the cosmetic phase.

So this would be the case with any implant process then? €200 and two consultations on the first day?

• Advertisement
Advertisement