Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

He is horrible to say that! My last boyfriend dumped me cause he didn't want to be in a relationship. Few weeks later, he's dating new girls! Its just a cowardly excuse! And anyone would react badly to it.

I know you might think theres not much to like about yourself while you feel like this, but I bet if you were feeling better you can think of good things about yourself that others like. Its just hard right now!

I know its a bad thing to say, but if your really down when your with people, it will be hard for them to like you. I know this from being in a bad mood around people I know a lot. When I'm in a good mood my friends seem to love me. But when I get a bad period they dont talk to me much. I know I shouldnt blame them, I'm hard to be around but they should support the bad too?

Don't give up! Have you been in bad patched before and gotten through them? Cause this most likely will go away!

No, this is one big long bad patch. It's getting worse if anything.

Generally I make a huge effort when I'm around people. I'm rarely in a bad mood around people, only thing is maybe my 'ok' mood isn't happy enough for some people.

I think at the beginning of a friendship obviously you can't expect people to be comfortable being around you in a low mood, but definitely true friends should be able to handle your moods in some way or another.

I can see good things about myself, like obviously there are a number of things about myself that I like, but it's become impossible not to question everything about myself because of the fact I've got no real friends. there has to be something right?

god princess you're like our agony aunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hi everyone. thought I might see what this thread is like, I've been suffering from depression and anxiety attacks for a few years now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

No, this is one big long bad patch. It's getting worse if anything.

Generally I make a huge effort when I'm around people. I'm rarely in a bad mood around people, only thing is maybe my 'ok' mood isn't happy enough for some people.

I think at the beginning of a friendship obviously you can't expect people to be comfortable being around you in a low mood, but definitely true friends should be able to handle your moods in some way or another.

I can see good things about myself, like obviously there are a number of things about myself that I like, but it's become impossible not to question everything about myself because of the fact I've got no real friends. there has to be something right?

What do you call real friends? I have a good amount of friends but no friends close enough that I can talk to about my problems. Just friends to go out and have fun with.

And I'm only talking like this cause I've been in a good mood for a few days now for an unkown reason. Hence I think I'm a life coach??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

She has two or three of us on the go lol :D

Links234 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. thought I might see what this thread is like, I've been suffering from depression and anxiety attacks for a few years now

Hey Links,

I find the best thing to do is rant a bit: it gets a few things off your chest and allows discussion. Feel free to ask questions as everyone here is in the same boat :)

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »

Welcome Links :)
    What do you call real friends? I have a good amount of friends but no friends close enough that I can talk to about my problems. Just friends to go out and have fun with.

See I wouldn't call those people real friends. I don't know what I'd say real friends are, but I know I could say what they're not.
    C_Dawg wrote: »
    She has two or three of us on the go lol :D
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Love_Game

Hey people.

Just thought I post here, have no one else to turn too, and this forum is great for venting.

Had a horrible start to the week. Went up to my GP at the start of Summer because I knew there was something wrong with me, but didn't know exactly what. I was dealing with health issues which landed me up in A&E, there I Spoke with a psychologist who said I had GAD. So I was put on 75mg of Lyrica twice a day, have to say it doesn't help.

I had an appointment with the head psychiatrist in St Martha's, the mental health catchment area of St James. Was suppose to go up and see them tomorrow but they rang me up today and said that he was sick and that I need to make another appointment. This really got my moods down as I was really looking forward to this appointment, I was ready to sit down and talk with someone to see what was going on. Was waiting for this appointment since the start of June, now God knows when I get another one.

I always feel my GP doesn't really listen to me, I have to go up every two weeks to check on my weight ( I've lost 2 stone since the start of Summer, not intentionally so they knew something was going on ), and anytime I mention that I feel the Lyrica isn't working he keeps telling me to wait for the appointment with the psychiatrist . I just feel like I'm trapped in a cage and waiting for this appointment to open the door for me. Ever since the start of Summer I have become a shell of my former self. I hardly go out, I dread having to get dressed and meet the big bad world.

I start college on Wednesday and am really dreading it. I was hoping that the appointment with the psychiatrist would give me the boost I need for the start of college.

I really dont know what I'm going to do, the tablets don't work and I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forwards. My whole life consists of doctors and hospital appointments, its like I'm just waiting for something horrible to happen.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent.

Love_Game wrote: »
    Hey people.

Just thought I post here, have no one else to turn too, and this forum is great for venting.

Had a horrible start to the week. Went up to my GP at the start of Summer because I knew there was something wrong with me, but didn't know exactly what. I was dealing with health issues which landed me up in A&E, there I Spoke with a psychologist who said I had GAD. So I was put on 75mg of Lyrica twice a day, have to say it doesn't help.

I had an appointment with the head psychiatrist in St Martha's, the mental health catchment area of St James. Was suppose to go up and see them tomorrow but they rang me up today and said that he was sick and that I need to make another appointment. This really got my moods down as I was really looking forward to this appointment, I was ready to sit down and talk with someone to see what was going on. Was waiting for this appointment since the start of June, now God knows when I get another one.

I always feel my GP doesn't really listen to me, I have to go up every two weeks to check on my weight ( I've lost 2 stone since the start of Summer, not intentionally so they knew something was going on ), and anytime I mention that I feel the Lyrica isn't working he keeps telling me to wait for the appointment with the psychiatrist . I just feel like I'm trapped in a cage and waiting for this appointment to open the door for me. Ever since the start of Summer I have become a shell of my former self. I hardly go out, I dread having to get dressed and meet the big bad world.

I start college on Wednesday and am really dreading it. I was hoping that the appointment with the psychiatrist would give me the boost I need for the start of college.

I really dont know what I'm going to do, the tablets don't work and I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forwards. My whole life consists of doctors and hospital appointments, its like I'm just waiting for something horrible to happen.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent.

Sure I may aswell sstick my nose into this one as well.

Try a new doctor? Just to get a second opinion. Its possible your doctor is right, and its just your anxiety about the whole situation that has you doubting them, but for your piece of mind another opinion could be good.

Don't give up on the pills just yet. They may or may not be the right ones for you but it took me a bit over 2 months for mine to start working properly. You may have to change but don't things to happen so fast.

Keep waiting for your appointment. In the mean time, tommorrow call the councellor at college and make an appointment for as soon as they can see you. I know they're not trained psychiatrists, but my college councellor really helped me through bad times, and it will hopefully help while your waiting.

And college will be scary, but keep your head up and try and make new friends, cause everyone will be nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Hello all,
    Just thought I'd relay my own story to hope it would give some hope out there.
    Im 26 now, have been on anti d's since I was 16 but think I had been depressed before that. Had always struggled with depression up until 2 years ago but changed my job, left it, moved home and had a nervous breakdown( I only realised it was a nervous breakdown 3 months after it.) My mam persuaded me to go private and see if it made a difference. I found a deadly doctor, diagnosed me with severe depression and after about 6 months he put me on a low dossage of solian which is an antipsychotic drug. ( apparently anti psychotic drugs in low dossages can help depression) For the first month all I had was headaches but after that I felt a change. I was even starting to cry less and less. Around the same time the course I was doing involved me in a local day centre for adults with learning disabilitys. I got on very well, it had none of the stress of my old jobs and no evil public to deal with or eat you alive. I decided to do an online course, volunteer in the centre until I found a job in that type of work. Long story short, Im doing a course, volunteering 3 days a week which feels like a job, claiming dole so have some money, living at home so have family surrounding me and dont need my friends as much and havent cried in about 4 months. I get the odd day thats bad and I still sleep a lot and hate getting up and dressed in the morning but my "job" brings me back

tl;dr new drug and new course and new volunteering have helped me lots

Sure I may aswell sstick my nose into this one as well.

Try a new doctor? Just to get a second opinion. Its possible your doctor is right, and its just your anxiety about the whole situation that has you doubting them, but for your piece of mind another opinion could be good.

Don't give up on the pills just yet. They may or may not be the right ones for you but it took me a bit over 2 months for mine to start working properly. You may have to change but don't things to happen so fast.

Keep waiting for your appointment. In the mean time, tommorrow call the councellor at college and make an appointment for as soon as they can see you. I know they're not trained psychiatrists, but my college councellor really helped me through bad times, and it will hopefully help while your waiting.

And college will be scary, but keep your head up and try and make new friends, cause everyone will be nervous

Hey thanks for your reply.

Yeah I may just make an appointment with the college councellor!
    I have stomach and thyroid problems, so my GP is weary with changing my pills or upping the dose until I get stuff done in the hospital. Thryoid problems are another till all together lol.

I just feel like I'm always going to be like this, waiting for something bad to happen, and going more into myself. I was never like this.

Thanks again for the reply :D

• Advertisement

Love_Game wrote: »

I just feel like I'm always going to be like this, waiting for something bad to happen, and going more into myself. I was never like this.

Yeah I'm so afraid of never getting better myself. Like I'm fine today but I wsa on the edge of sanity this day last week. Maybe its a good thing that you never felt like this before? I was diagnosed a year ago, but when I spoke to my doctor about it, it was clear that I've been depressed for a long time.

Could just be a bad patch for you. But hang in there and you'll find treatment that works for you.

For me I find it best to think in the short term. Not whether I'll be like this for the rest of my life, but more so for the next few days or weeks. otherwise its just worry and stress that really has no constructive point

Yeah I'm so afraid of never getting better myself. Like I'm fine today but I wsa on the edge of sanity this day last week. Maybe its a good thing that you never felt like this before? I was diagnosed a year ago, but when I spoke to my doctor about it, it was clear that I've been depressed for a long time.

Could just be a bad patch for you. But hang in there and you'll find treatment that works for you.

For me I find it best to think in the short term. Not whether I'll be like this for the rest of my life, but more so for the next few days or weeks. otherwise its just worry and stress that really has no constructive point

That's really good advice, anytime I try and think, its just '' I'm always going to be like this, I'm never going to get better.''.

I should just focus on today!

Good to hear that your feeling better :D.

Are you in college too?

I just finished. I had a bit of a breakdown recently because of that, a "My life has no direction" kinda thing. You're young with good years ahead of you! Embrace it while you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I just finished. I had a bit of a breakdown recently because of that, a "My life has no direction" kinda thing.

God, me too. Along with the 'even if I manage to get a job I like, with all my illnesses will I be able to do it?' fears in my case.

I'm only 23, and I worry that I'll never have a career. It gets me down.

i-digress wrote: »
    God, me too. Along with the 'even if I manage to get a job I like, with all my illnesses will I be able to do it?' fears in my case.

I'm only 23, and I worry that I'll never have a career. It gets me down.

I work in a shop right now, and I can barely deal with the stress of that! I don't know if I can ever deal with applying for career jobs and interviews and proper work stress!

And then I start to think about more serious things, like how I could ever be married and have children when I'm a mess!

I think its best to just not think about these things, except now I'm at a stage when I really do need to decide if I'm going back to college or getting a proper job, cause I put all of this stuff off last year because I couldn't deal with it, and now I just feel lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

now I just feel lost

This is how I feel, quite rootless. Now, this week is a good week, I'm fairly upbeat but on bad days it's really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

The marriage and children thing is something that really freaks me out. Well it's more the thought of living with someone. I can't eat in front of people or a lot of other things. I can't be totally myself. Maye i would get used to it eventually but i don't know. I'm 26 so soon enough it might be something i have to deal with. I don't really want to be alone forever either. Not when i'm old like.

phi3 wrote: »
    The marriage and children thing is something that really freaks me out. Well it's more the thought of living with someone. I can't eat in front of people or a lot of other things. I can't be totally myself. Maye i would get used to it eventually but i don't know. I'm 26 so soon enough it might be something i have to deal with. I don't really want to be alone forever either. Not when i'm old like.

I don't think I would have a problem living with someone, but I do worry that this someone will have a problem living with me. I remember with my last boyfriend how hard it was sometimes to not let him know how hard I was trying to not cry in bed next to him, and not very often did that happen. Thank god he was a sound sleeper! But I really don't know how anyone could deal with me everyday in the year. They would have to be very understanding and compassionate.

I don't think I would have a problem living with someone, but I do worry that this someone will have a problem living with me. I remember with my last boyfriend how hard it was sometimes to not let him know how hard I was trying to not cry in bed next to him, and not very often did that happen. Thank god he was a sound sleeper! But I really don't know how anyone could deal with me everyday in the year. They would have to be very understanding and compassionate.

Yeah i know. I think like that too. I can never understand why my boyfriend stays with me. But we dont see eachother that very often really. I'm sure 24/7 would be a different thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

easier said than done but ..

http://www.aetw.org/reiki_gokai2.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nonnymouse

Hi, I am new to boards.ie and glad to find this thread.
    It's good to 'meet' fellow irish sufferers.
    I have a long history of anxiety, I was agoraphobic at the worst of it for 2 years, with a helping of depression thrown in the mix too.
    I take anti-anxiety meds (xanax)& anti depressant (Cymbalta) but I have been on so many meds over the last 10 years., and just this week I started on Lamictal. I will say my current combo is ok, and it dosen't cause me to gain weight, in fact i am happy enough about my weight for the first time since i got ill- as i blew up by 4 st due to Zyprexa and a few other meds. That was terrible, i felt so self concious.
    Is anyone else here on the Lamictal? I take it for depression and mood swings, and have noticed a subtle difference already, But having side effects-psysically- tired, dizzy, off my food- hoping this wears off soon. :(
    I am on disability benefit, but tbh i am bored silly a lot of the time.
    I would love a 'little' job to get me out and about- I make a point of going for a longish walk daily to help me sleep, get fresh air, and talk to other ppl. I literally stayed home for 2 years after having a bad panic attack in Heathrow on my own. :eek:. More or less over the agora now tho.
    Anyway, just introducing myself, glad i found this thread. Take care, Mouse x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

Yeah i know. I think like that too. I can never understand why my boyfriend stays with me. But we dont see eachother that very often really. I'm sure 24/7 would be a different thing.

Maybe he loves you?

Its just occured to me I haven't had a really bad day in a little while. maybe doubling my meds is doing something.

How will I tell for sure though?

Its just occured to me I haven't had a really bad day in a little while. maybe doubling my meds is doing something.

How will I tell for sure though?

Only thing is to wait and see how you go. I'm in the "dangerous lull" phase where I've seen less bad days but I'm now in a constant state of anticipation of a low.

Not been a good week for me at all. A couple of relatively small upsets have left me in the depts of depression again

Not been a good week for me at all. A couple of relatively small upsets have left me in the depts of depression again

What happened phi3? Might be good to get them off your chest :)

What happened phi3? Might be good to get them off your chest :)

Ah just stuff. Work is a bit worrying. And I was told I'm basically no good at something i'm trying to do. But I'm sure I'll sort something.

Ah just stuff. Work is a bit worrying. And I was told I'm basically no good at something i'm trying to do. But I'm sure I'll sort something.

You started this fantastic thread here, what did they ever do?! Fcuk 'em I say.

You started this fantastic thread here, what did they ever do?! Fcuk 'em I say.

Ah no they didnt say it in a mean way. Just in a thems the facts way.

• Advertisement

Can still be a bit harsh when you're not the best yourself. At least you know it now so you should be ok with it in future :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement