Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hope to open a wine bar

Options
  • 08-04-2021 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there

Following on from pussyhands thread "do you drive yourself mad thinking of new business" I have to say that I even lie awake at night thinking about businesses to set up!

I want to set up a wine bar and am in the midst of my business plan.
    But I'm stuck trying to figure out the licenses that I need.
    I don't want to make and sell food, just glasses or bottles of wine and bottles of beer.
    Maybe put bowls of nibbles on the table if they're spenders.

Am I going about this the wrong way?
    A lot of the questions I see are for existing cafe's that would like to upgrade to beer and wine.
    But I really don't want to do food.

If the license required that I have to sell food, can I buy in muffins or pastry's and would that suffice?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 winobob

just a quick line to say, I realise I need a Wine Retailers On License, but what criteria do I need to meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

Personally - and with no expert knowledge of the industry - I think selling wine without any food at all is a big mistake. The alcohol content of the average wine is 2 to 3 times that of beer and you're either going to end up with very drunk customers, or they won't stay long.

And "bowls of nibbles on the table if they're spenders? Or bought in muffins and pastries? With wine? Seriously? I'm not sure you're cut out for the hospitality business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is a very rough starting point.

http://www.pointofsinglecontact.ie/browse-by-sector/food/alcohol-licence-for-a-cafe-restaurant.html

Really though, you are going to need real estate advice, planning advice and legal assistance to establish anything like this from scratch.

If you don't have experience in the trade, you may find it very difficult to navigate the whole thing, and the Court may take your lack of experience into account.

The advice you need will cost money and if you are not known in the trade you will certainly be asked to pay up front.

On the whole I suspect you may indeed be going about this in the wrong way. It would be a good idea to get advice from people experienced in the trade.

Advertisement