Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short sold myself on salary question.

Options
  • 29-03-2021 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I think I short sold myself this morning in an interview, and I’m not sure now if I’d be happy to accept salary for position.

I was headhunted and had a good interview. Though I prepared for question, I hadn’t put enough thought into answer of how much you would like to get.

On 55k PA at moment and I think I should be on 65k. I asked for 65k and he asked would I move for 55k and I said let’s meet at 60k

Doing maths, I really like current job but possibly in danger of company closing, commute to new place adds 3k so I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to have said 60k now. What would you do if you were in my place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

1. Stay with your current employer, depending on the risk of the place closing down?
    2. Go to the new place and accept the 60K, tell them the truth about your financial calculations and ask if they could increase to 65K after the probation period.
    3. You could say you got a counter offer from your current employer of 65K but you would move if the new employer matches that. Its a risky strategy, where they could easily say no, but if you're not going to move for 60K then its worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

So after tax and commuting costs you could be down €0.5K. You’d have to factor in changes in other benefits too such as bonus, holidays, pension, insurance if the offer comes. I wouldn’t dismiss some non-financials too. How long more per week/per annum are you going to spend commuting for example.

If you get an offer, may be worth going to your current employer to get at least the €60K if they are in a position to do so but may not be worth it if the chances of them folding are medium to high. Make sure your indicators of the company struggling are solid.

Might be some potential to negotiate if the offer does come but may not be the best start.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If the move appeals to you?
    When the offer comes through, tell the offering company that your current employer made a counter offer and see if they match it.

Going back now, to change your salary expectation immediately post interview smacks a little of poor prep.
    Granted it's a question that can sometimes catch people on the hop, but it was a job interview it's an expected question and your sums should have been part of your prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

If you get an offer for 60k, and you're really not willing to accept that, instead of just turning it down you should ask them for 65k.

If you're ok with a bit of dishonesty, I think using the counter offer idea is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I think the lesson here is if you wanted 65k you should have said 75.

You came in with your goal price as the first volley in the negotiation. Which didn't leave you room for the negotiating bit, except for them to negotiate you down.

Say you've done the calculations and with the increased commute it wouldn't be much of a raise on 60k and you intend to stay put unless it's 65.

Maybe they even come back with 63. Then even if you dont get the 65 you wanted you at least negotiated a better deal with a raise and the commute covered.

If they won't budge, then bust out the counter offer thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Maybe try negotiate a perk or 2 if that's applicable. May be more receptive than salary increase, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Risky strategy.

A better option is to ask what the salary range is, and when they tell you, say that sounds fine.

Then when they offer you the job, or you're at the final interview, you can bash out salary details.

Basically you don't want to disqualify yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How badly do they want you? How scarce is your skill set?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Risky strategy.

A better option is to ask what the salary range is, and when they tell you, say that sounds fine.

Then when they offer you the job, or you're at the final interview, you can bash out salary details.

Basically you don't want to disqualify yourself.

Agreed it's risky, as a Recruiter if you told me 75k and my hiring manager had approval for 65k pre any interview I would have to say goodbye. I think your best bet if you get an offer is to go back and say you thought about it and you're happy blah blah blah but ask them for 65k due to extra commute etc. The worst that happens is they'll say no

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

its difficult to say whats best to do.
    if you’re dealing with a large co. or multinational, then once they make an offer it could be a take it or leave it (i.e. it may not be possible for them to renegotiate or renegotiate substantially)
    if you really want the position, if you have a minimum figure you can accept, and if that is more than the 60k you “agreed” to, then I would get back to them, to correct your position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi folks, thanks for quick replies... I didn't know how to reply anonymously and see there are a few comments so will try to answer all.

It was poor prep on my behalf banie01, I didn't consider commute difference until the day of the interview. While I'd be working from home, the new place seems more eager to return us to the office than the old place.

I don't want it too badly, I've had offers from other places but just the worry about stability gets to me a bit. Skill set is scarce, they'd need to train another person for 2 years and there are about 4 of us in IE.

Do you think it's rude to pre-empt their offer, with an email back? Or should I wait it out? Logic being that If I write back now at least they can consider the increased amount before offering the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I wouldn't move for 10% and you haven't included other benefits. I'd go back to them and say you've been thinking it over and after looking at the extra commute costs and time. Also taking into account changing job always carries a risk I couldn't consider it for less than 65K. If they aren't able to meet that then thank them and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

Just be honest.
    Tell them you've done the math on it and it doesn't work out for you at 60K
    Nobody would really expect someone to move and be down money.
    you say you were headhunted, so they have obviously identified you as desirable.
    5K should really not be a dealbreaker for them, while the question of money was raised nothing was finalised.
    when the topic comes up again, or even preempt it and broach the subject in advance, state your case.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Be honest ^ second that! Good start to a new role if you're successful. Depending on the position and the company hiring, you might be communicating with HR rather than the interviewer for salary negotiations. Some wiggle room is normal. Politely requesting a salary review in light of increased travel costs or other, would be a potential tactic you could use.

Good luck!

I think I short sold myself this morning in an interview, and I’m not sure now if I’d be happy to accept salary for position.

I was headhunted and had a good interview.

They headhunted you, and you interviewed well, so you are in a good position. I'd opt for honesty, if I was you. If they offer you the position, turn it down on the grounds that the salary does not meet your expectations. Given that they headhunted you, I would wager that they'll come back with a second offer, which should help bridge the gap. Best of luck.

Nope. If the hiring manager has a max salary of €65k, you are out of the picture straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't want it too badly, I've had offers from other places
    Then you have all the bargaining power and nothing to lose, so just tell them what you actually want. If they agree then great, if they don't then so what, you have lost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you again for all the replies earlier guys, it's helped me a lot with thinking.

I was called back for 2nd round interview tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I've got the job as it's a very small outfit. However, I didn't follow-up with an email regarding salary expectations. I didn't hear from them for a month and was wondering if they'd ruled me out.

However, talking to man who headhunted me (previous boss, working there now!), it seems that the business they'd been hoping to get has picked up and they're now in position to hire. I also managed to squeeze in my next point.

I interviewed for a position at another company yesterday! I was contacted through recruiter for a place closer to home, longstanding presence in Ireland and the job is exactly what I'm doing in my current company (which by the way, is no longer in immediate danger of collapse). They've got a 10% pension, healthcare, and recruiter said to expect 60k, so the same as what I wanted through 1st interview, with 1st company.

It looks as if I've plenty of options now. Won't have to be dishonest anymore, my skill set is scarce and I've been told by another previous boss that everyone on team was undervalued compared to other companies.

My preference work-wise is the 1st company, but if they won't budge on the previous offer I will take 2nd company. I've heard that 2nd company is not a place to work up through the career ladder, 1st is a new company so plenty of opportunities I would hope.

Advertisement