Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring in Retail

Options
  • 29-03-2021 8:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭

(Admin change the thread to another topic if I've put it in the wrong one)

I work in a retail store. I don't want to say where due to giving it away, I have a question.

I've worked in the same place and position for years and I was wondering if a person was to ask for a transfer to another store in another county, can they legally say no? If so, why is this and what is the general reason?

Management can switch and change stores in a drop of a hat, unfortunately it's not their own choice and up to the higher ups to tell them where they are located. It's moreso down to the fact that they don't want a staff member training to be a manager in the store they worked in which I think is a great idea as the answer to this question was favouritism towards other staff members and competition and also experiencing different rules and guidelines in other stores in order to learn new things, oh and meeting new people is also high on the agenda for management training. I agree this is a valid answer. Often the trainee is usually in the new store for a good length of time, some never coming back to the original store. Managers can also decide if they don't want to be managers anymore, they can drop down to being a staff member in the original store they started in, which is absolutely fine.

I know of other professions who allow their staff transfer to other counties but for some reason when it comes to Retail (and I've heard about this in various retail stores), its extremely difficult to switch to another store. The reasons can be from bullying to change of address. I've tried to see reasons for this and I can never seem to get a valid answers. I would assume if you're loyal to a company and willing to work for them, surely you should be allowed to transfer to another store elsewhere due to circumstances.

It's not a silly debate by the way, I'm just genuinely woundering why this is? Would it be down to the store itself or the company policy?

I've tried to find the answer in a staff manual and I can't seem to find anything about recloating to other stores so generally it shouldn't be a big deal. From what I've gathered, if the option was to change to other store a contact wouldn't be the same as the other store wouldn't have the option of providing a person with the same contract leading me to think, well it is an option to transfer but up to me to decide if changing contracts is ideal? I've inquired about this before to my HR and Union and both can't give me solid answers but they've been adamant to say contract changes is a priority so essentially they are admitting, a person can potentially transfer?

What's your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's up to the manager of the store your looking to transfer into, if there's an open position there's no reason why you can't apply for the job.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you talked to the manager in your own store? You're a free agent, and can work anywhere. If you work for a collection of stores with one hiring route, speak to them. If they are a loose connection of stores and hires are done locally, talk to your manager, and the other store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

It's up to the manager of the store your looking to transfer into, if there's an open position there's no reason why you can't apply for the job.

And the contract changes, does that still apply? Say I work 20 hours in X store(I don't but example) and another store is advertising say less or more hours but its the store I would like to relocate too, would that rule still apply in the fact that a position is open?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

MarkR wrote: »
    Have you talked to the manager in your own store? You're a free agent, and can work anywhere. If you work for a collection of stores with one hiring route, speak to them. If they are a loose connection of stores and hires are done locally, talk to your manager, and the other store.

Yup. Spoke to HR and Union as requested by my own manager as they didn't have a clue. HR and Union have expressed the main issue is contract changes and that the only way I gan transfer if I trained to be a manager which believe me, as great as the money is, I wouldn't put myself through it. I've seen people come back in worst states.

Really depends on the company... Iv transfered 4 times now in the one I'm in with out any hassle..

I know people that tried to transfer in Dunnes but found it difficult.. . But again that could be that particular stores issue and not dunnes

Make your manager aware you wish to transfer and they should contact the store your after.. You should be able to stay on your hours you currently on... In my experience I never changed contracted hours but that could depend on hr and there payroll situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Zebrag wrote: »
    And the contract changes, does that still apply? Say I work 20 hours in X store(I don't but example) and another store is advertising say less or more hours but its the store I would like to relocate too, would that rule still apply in the fact that a position is open?

If the new position has different terms, hours, benefits etc either you accept them or don't take the job.
    Again it's up to the manager of the store your looking to get into, if they're happy to keep your existing hours and terms then no issue.

It's kinda unusual what your trying to do as they're easy jobs to pick up if you move to a new area, it's usually managers transfer. Your hardly going to stay in the one position forever, if a manger suggested you look at management you should, don't worry about someone else failing at it.

Advertisement