Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child maintenace not court ordered??

Options
  • 28-03-2021 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I was in court and agreed to increase child maintenance from 150 to 170 p/w. However, i didnt sign anything and the maintenance isn't referenced in the court agreement (child access was ruled on during the court session and the copy of the agreement was posted out by the court). Does that mean the child maintenance payment is not court ordered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

James 1981 wrote: »
    Hi, I was in court and agreed to increase child maintenance from 150 to 170 p/w. However, i didnt sign anything and the maintenance isn't referenced in the court agreement (child access was ruled on during the court session and the copy of the agreement was posted out by the court). Does that mean the child maintenance payment is not court ordered?

It may not be on the paperwork, but would be on the DAR recordings in court, so if you verbally agreed to an increase it may be best to fulfill that agreement, if you do not then you might find yourself back in court with the other half seeking the extra €20per week (which may or may not be an inconvenience for you/the other party).

It would be easy enough for them to get a copy of the DAR to verify that you agreed to the increase.

However, it’s your decision if you wish to try to maintain the current payment situation and see if the other side notices or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

perhaps if it was the district court they can only award amounts up to 150 per week?

best seek legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8 James 1981

Thanks, i dont intend to stop paying the agreed maintenance without going thru the correct channels. I was just curious if the amount was officially recorded by the courts or if it was still an informal agreement between me and the ex. Whats a DAR?

combat14 wrote: »
    perhaps if it was the district court they can only award amounts up to 150 per week?

best seek legal advice

Thanks, The district court can award 150 per child (my maintenance is for 2 kids so 300 max in district court), i should have mentioned that.

Both 150 and 170 are huge amounts.

Was there an application for a maintenance order or was this agreement made “on the steps” of the court?

• Advertisement

Both 150 and 170 are huge amounts.

Was there an application for a maintenance order or was this agreement made “on the steps” of the court?

To be honest, the first i knew my ex wanted extra maintenance was the day i arrived at the court for the access case. I agreed on the stand to increase to 170, the judge later ruled the maintenance was to increase to 170. I just thought i would have got some official court notification that maintenance was 170. (I have never received anything official for any of the previous maintenance agreements either).

The 170 per week is for 2 kids, age 12 and 15.

It may not be on the paperwork, but would be on the DAR recordings in court, so if you verbally agreed to an increase it may be best to fulfill that agreement, if you do not then you might find yourself back in court with the other half seeking the extra €20per week (which may or may not be an inconvenience for you/the other party).

It would be easy enough for them to get a copy of the DAR to verify that you agreed to the increase.

However, it’s your decision if you wish to try to maintain the current payment situation and see if the other side notices or not.

Thanks, i dont intend on changing the maintenance amount without going thru the correct channels, im just trying to figure out if the 170 is court ordered, or still an informal agreement. Juding by your answer, it sounds like I'll need a variation order. (I should mention my solicitor was useless).

Whats a DAR?

To be honest, the first i knew my ex wanted extra maintenance was the day i arrived at the court for the access case. I agreed on the stand to increase to 170, the judge later ruled the maintenance was to increase to 170. I just thought i would have got some official court notification that maintenance was 170. (I have never received anything official for any of the previous maintenance agreements either).

The 170 per week is for 2 kids, age 12 and 15.

If the hearing was for access and the issue of variance of maintenance was not included as part of the summons then the court should not have heard anything in relation to maintenance at that hearing.

You are supposed to be given two weeks notice of any action, and a chance to prepare.

Speak to your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

If the hearing was for access and the issue of variance of maintenance was not included as part of the summons then the court should not have heard anything in relation to maintenance at that hearing.

You are supposed to be given two weeks notice of any action, and a chance to prepare.

Speak to your solicitor.

both sides should also surely have presented affidavit of means?

best speak to solicitor

combat14 wrote: »
    both sides should also surely have presented affidavit of means?

best speak to solicitor

Yep, absolutely.

There has to be grounds for an increase / decrease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Thanks, i dont intend on changing the maintenance amount without going thru the correct channels, im just trying to figure out if the 170 is court ordered, or still an informal agreement. Juding by your answer, it sounds like I'll need a variation order. (I should mention my solicitor was useless).

Whats a DAR?

DAR is the recordings made in court of every word said, it’s a digital recording and can be accessed by parties involved in legal actions.

Advertisement