Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Options
  • 19-03-2021 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Is anybody else receiving an excessive amount of scam calls from the UK? Yesterday alone I received 7 of these calls. I didn’t answer them and blocked each number but each call was from another variation of the same phone number from “Brentwood, UK”

Is there a way to stop these calls?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You didn't sign up to an online course recently did you? Only reason I ask is I've read a lot of bad things about a certain Irish online course company selling information.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I find it's cyclical, might not get a call for 6 months then could get 5 in a week, nothing much you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

My wife got lots of calls so she changed her number. She simply sent her new number to all her contacts and problem solved. People get too attached to their number. I think you need to let it go. She got her new number in January and she hasn't gotten a single cold call since.

I remember when I was in school (15 years ago) people were paying us to give them all the names age and contact details of the contacts in our phones..... They are probably still in some Indian contact list somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

Wheety wrote: »
    You didn't sign up to an online course recently did you? Only reason I ask is I've read a lot of bad things about a certain Irish online course company selling information.

No I haven’t. I can’t pinpoint how these people have my number

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Scammers can get your phone number from databases of websites that have been hacked.

Check your email here to see if your details have been compromised
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Also Google Chrome has built in password safety checker too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

Same issue, started yesterday, here's some of the variations I've got:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why are people afraid to answer phone calls? Any strange number that pops up I'll answer and tell then I'm not interested and no more calls, automated phone systems will keep calling you till you answer and you can't get charged for receiving calls

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why are people afraid to answer phone calls? Any strange number that pops up I'll answer and tell then I'm not interested and no more calls, automated phone systems will keep calling you till you answer and you can't get charged for receiving calls

I thought you could get charged for answering them?

They’re the numbers calling me too. Another 3 calls this morning and it’s only past 10am

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mine are of the "Irish" number variety. Another rang yesterday, an 085 mobile. Crypto currency. Told very loudly to f**k off, not interested, don't call again. Called me again 30 seconds later, with an 051 area code saying how rude I was........Utter w@nkers. Mine is my business number, so its not as if I can'y answer it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭10-10-20

whiterebel wrote: »
    Mine are of the "Irish" number variety. Another rang yesterday, an 085 mobile. Crypto currency. Told very loudly to f**k off, not interested, don't call again. Called me again 30 seconds later, with an 051 area code saying how rude I was........Utter w@nkers. Mine is my business number, so its not as if I can'y answer it.

Yeah - I had some dude with a heavy Russian accent ask me if I had an interest in bitcoin. I responded to say that I had no interest and his response then was:
    "Perhaps your lack of interest is due to your lack of knowledge in bitc...". I hung up at that point. Fuggers.

Del2005 wrote:
    Because by answering the call, your confirming that there is a human ear on the other end. It's like clicking the bait in emails - it serves to validate the email address for one thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Because by answering the call, your confirming that there is a human ear on the other end. It's like clicking the bait in emails - it serves to validate the email address for one thing!

Correct, by answering the call, your number will be provided to other scam databases as known good number so your number of calls will increase.

Video with explanation of similar scam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I usually ask the Indian ones would their mother be proud to know they are trying to fool people out of their money. It generally doesn't go down well. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought you could get charged for answering them?

Only in America.

L1011 wrote: »
    Only in America.

Good to know, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I used to get scam calls mainly from India on the house phone.
    The line went down for a couple of months due to a connection problem.
    Got connected back and 1st 2 calls I got were.............scam calls!
    I answer it when they let me and just play along with them and let them
    waffle away.
    When I get bored, I tell them I need to go to the toilet but get them to hang on and just leave the phone in a drawer.
    Strange that they have always hung up when I "return" some time later :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm getting these too, some Russian lady offering finance, bitcoin etc. I have a really loud whistle I'm going to try out on her with the next call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I've got a lot of spam emails and texts recently. Tempted to get a new number and email as it's fierce annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

We were getting a good few of these calls are various stages, seems like it goes in cycles and when they pass through whatever batch your number is in you won’t hear from them again for a while. In fairness, they are always very polite but it is annoying when you getting a good few of them.

We have a block facility on the phone which is fine but they have a new number each time anyway. From what I have read the phone companies can’t do much about or are not bothered to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

spurious wrote: »
    I usually ask the Indian ones would their mother be proud to know they are trying to fool people out of their money. It generally doesn't go down well. :)

I used to get plagued on our landline...

Then one day as the phone rang i opened a certain adult orientated streaming site and played the audio..... he was amused till I asked him did he enjoy listening to his mother...

wasnt my finest moment, but they never called again!

• Advertisement

I actually don’t mind if people actually speak on these calls as I keep a very loud whistle close by just for such scam calls and it’s amazing how you can impact someone negatively thousands of miles away from you, with just with a little whistle. :D

It’s when the landline phone keeps ringing every day around 10am or so and it knocks off when you answer it- hasn’t happened in about 8 months now but there was a period of about 3 weeks when it was very regular

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I was off work for a period of months in 2013, I used to enjoy the calls up to a point.

I took great pleasure in wasting their time for as long as possible, I was bored. But its fine when your prepared, know whats happening and have nothing better to be doing.

It was only when they started getting aggressive that I got bored and I resorted to the video nasties.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The wife's uncle tells me of all these calls he gets about the Internet browser. He talks away, nods the head, takes a few notes. Then they say turn on your computer. He doesn't have a computer. I told you this the last time he goes. Funny guy, pity he's long retired, he'd sell ice to the Eskimo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

Actually, I think you can get a robocall blocker app for mobiles but I don't know how effective they are, imagine it is only the paid ones that might actually work...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

They are getting smarter and know that a call coming from Uganda or Ivory Coast isn’t likely to be picked up so using uk or Irish numbers is getting more common. They can also piggy back on legit companies numbers. There’s a regular one I get from a Wexford company and the company is aware it happens but can’t do anything about it.

Easiest not to pick them up and then just block the number from calling you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They are getting smarter and know that a call coming from Uganda or Ivory Coast isn’t likely to be picked up so using uk or Irish numbers is getting more common. They can also piggy back on legit companies numbers. There’s a regular one I get from a Wexford company and the company is aware it happens but can’t do anything about it.

Easiest not to pick them up and then just block the number from calling you again.

They keep changing the number, so blocking is a waste of time. Answer, kill a few minutes as though you're falling for the scam, then tell them what you think of them, ask if their mother is proud of them, tell them where to shove their scam or whatever you like and they won't phone back too often. Or interrupt them after 3 or 4 seconds by telling them to F off. It doesn't take long and costs you nothing,

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Ian OB

Right, I got a call from this number earlier today 00447547526839.

Answered it anyway & yer man at the other end says "is this 'my name'?". Yes says I & he hung up.

A little puzzled in fairness. So I googled the number & without spending money all I know is its a UK mobile on the O2 network.

Not a clue what this will turn into. Hopefully nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

twice a night (2/3/4/5 am ) Djibouti, Sudan,Eritrea.

I ignore them but I admit to almost falling for an email asking for €1.50 for import duties. Email said parcel would be held for a week for payment.And I was expecting a parcel at the time. Email looked like a courier was involved. They weren’t. Scam. Parcel arrived by Post a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Half awake I accidentally called one back. It was a scam number in Iraq. I hung up instantly within 2 seconds. A month later my GoMo bill came and there was no record of it. I got lucky. Vodafone and Three would unashamedly charge you for this.

And btw I didn’t press call. I just had my finger on my iPhone and it unlocked and called. Be careful unlocking your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ian OB wrote: »
    Right, I got a call from this number earlier today 00447547526839.

Answered it anyway & yer man at the other end says "is this 'my name'?". Yes says I & he hung up.

A little puzzled in fairness. So I googled the number & without spending money all I know is its a UK mobile on the O2 network.

Not a clue what this will turn into. Hopefully nothing

Probably nothing, but try avoid saying yes or even making agreement-noises (uh-huh, etc) on these types of calls. The common scam that getting a recording of you saying "yes" for is slamming but that's not a common thing in Ireland.

Advertisement