Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just found out I am pregnant!

Options
  • 11-03-2021 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hello,

Just found out I am pregnant with no.3. Almost 33 so was just starting to think about maybe trying for our 3rd and last baby. I have an almost 5 year old and 2 year and 4 month year old. Working full time at home with both kids due to start pre-school / school in September.

Would appreciate any advice people have regarding what it's like with 3? My two boys certainly keep me on our toes but they are the best at the same time. I am hoping the slightly bigger age gap this time might help.

Also already very nervous also!! Husband works in a high-risk environment but not due to get vaccinated until the summer so nervous about Covid also.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's actually quite fun, but chaotic.2 to 3 is not that big a leap.

What I found most interesting is the introduction of the 3rd personality and how that changes the dynamic between the other 2. My older 2 are girls, youngest is a boy.Roughly 2 years between each, give or take.Before his arrival, I could see how two could turn into a competition at times, for affection or attention.With 3...well sure if A falls out with B, then either goes to play with C, completely defusing the situation as it means A & B aren't just sitting there sulking .It can be very interesting to watch, it really is the more the merrier.Don't get me wrong now, they can fight like crazy and the age gaps can be tricky - for example the 2 year old wants to join into everything but the 6 year old's games are quite intricate and have a lot of rules that he isn't quite fully understanding of, and rows happen...equally he picks up everything they say and do which can make life quite challenging!! But overall I think it is good for them.

In terms of other stuff, a new car was needed that was it really.We had everything else.

Best of luck with it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hello,

Just found out I am pregnant with no.3. Almost 33 so was just starting to think about maybe trying for our 3rd and last baby. I have an almost 5 year old and 2 year and 4 month year old. Working full time at home with both kids due to start pre-school / school in September.

Would appreciate any advice people have regarding what it's like with 3? My two boys certainly keep me on our toes but they are the best at the same time. I am hoping the slightly bigger age gap this time might help.

Also already very nervous also!! Husband works in a high-risk environment but not due to get vaccinated until the summer so nervous about Covid also.

Congrats!! I have a 3 year gap between my 3 kids.
    My middle child is hard work!! Very difficult even as a baby :(
    We found going from 1 to 2 hard.
    Going from 2-3 was a doddle. My 3rd is not a bother and a girl :) Even my husband said it. It’s totally grand :)
    The middle guy is in ecce and older one is in senior infants. Lockdown kind of ruined maternity leave for me tbh :(
    I also don’t work full time and can’t see myself doing that for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Congratulations! I don’t think the jump from two to three is too dramatic tbh, as above, there might be some logistics to take care of, like car seats and possibly a new car, I had to change mine when I was expecting my third also.
    Again, my second child was haaaard work, I think it’s common with second children (though I too am a second child, and pretty sure I was a dream :D). The one thing I did find hard on maternity leaves of my younger two kids (I have 4), was that the age gap can make it harder in ways, because the older ones have places to be (school, preschool, swimming lessons, birthday parties etc etc) and getting a newborn to sync with the timetable took a while. The younger ones definitely tend to be reared on the road. I’m very independent, and I like to not be dependant on people, but I really did appreciate people dropping my older kids to school in the mornings if it was possible when I was on mat leave. My husband is self employed and has a heavier workload in summer, which is when the two small ones were born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MarshmallowPop

Millem wrote: »
    Congrats!! I have a 3 year gap between my 3 kids.
    My middle child is hard work!! Very difficult even as a baby :(
    We found going from 1 to 2 hard.
    Going from 2-3 was a doddle. My 3rd is not a bother and a girl :) Even my husband said it. It’s totally grand :)
    The middle guy is in ecce and older one is in senior infants. Lockdown kind of ruined maternity leave for me tbh :(
    I also don’t work full time and can’t see myself doing that for a long time.

I could written that post and then I saw your username :D. Not stalking you!

I have a 7 year old in 1st class. She is an absolute dream of a child, she helps me out so much in a lot of ways. Ironically, she was the hardest as a baby and through the terrible 2s.

My 4 year old boy is a 'character' shall we say. He has energy like I have never saw before. A cheeky chappy but very loveable but he would break your heart and he has to touch and explore everything. Loves messy play! He is going to school in September, god love the teacher :D. He was the easy baby and we barely had a tantrum through the terrible 2s and threenage years. He is making up for lost time now.

I am hoping that baby number 3 will just slot in and be an easy going baby. Who knows.

I would love to take a year off after my maternity, I just don't know if our financial figures will tot up :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Apparently when they are difficult as kids they make much easier teenagers because you have put so much work into them as kids.
    Fully expect all of mine to be angels as teens at that rate, as I have 3 very strong personalities here.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

shesty wrote: »
    Apparently when they are difficult as kids they make much easier teenagers because you have put so much work into them as kids.
    Fully expect all of mine to be angels as teens at that rate, as I have 3 very strong personalities here.......

I expect I shall have the opposite problem. Nightmare teenagers. 3 boys here but they are best of buds. 6, 2 and 1. It’s been lovely to watch them bond and play together during lockdown. No 3 slotted in no bother. Didn’t change the car yet as I could fit the three seats in the back. Didn’t need anything else new really.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Can relate to all above. Have a 5 year old, two year old and youngest arrived last sep. Thankfully he is a happy, easy going little chap as we were tested by our middle child to say the least!
    Had to change car but otherwise needed nothing. However didn't really factor in the childcare jump so I'll be going part time for a year at least.
    It's lovely overall and we were so worried about coping as family live the otherside of the country. But it's much easier than going from one to two. Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice but it looks like I'm out �� Started bleeding and cramping Wednesday night. It stopped yesterday afternoon and Gp said cervix is closed but I'm waiting for a referral to the EPU next week but this is very unusual for me in pregnancy so I know it's the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice but it looks like I'm out �� Started bleeding and cramping Wednesday night. It stopped yesterday afternoon and Gp said cervix is closed but I'm waiting for a referral to the EPU next week but this is very unusual for me in pregnancy so I know it's the worst.

So sorry. Mind yourself x

So sorry. Mind yourself x

Thank you so much x

• Advertisement

Just popping back on to say, all is okay. I had the most anxious weekend but I got a call from the EPU yesterday to come up yesterday and I'm just 7 weeks and got a surprise to see a heartbeat. It was incredible. Dates matching up and the bleeding was caused by a pool of blood in the sac. The Sonographer could tell me exactly what caused it. Feeling so lucky but looking forward to the few weeks flying by I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Amazing, the relief must be huge! Congrats and hope you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Congrats Calgary - take it easy and enjoy the relief :DThey really all are different.

Advertisement