Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday with Katie Hannon

Comments

I'm not implying he is a conspiracy theorist but he does have an agenda, everyone has an agenda so that's not surprising.

Stating someone's occupation doesn't mean you should place heed in what they are saying. As Gerry implied about Philip Nolan, also would you listen to me quote Prof Dolores Cahill, because she is a professor?

For the last part of your comment that is an extremely simplistic equation and not one that would stand up to scrutiny, while they may be hospitalised Gerry has no knowledge of why they are there, of which NPHET do. To imply like Gerry did, that it was due to the strain of Covid they have was a dangerous thing to do.
    NPHET's measure of hospitalizations does not count children as being hospitalised when children are already in hospital with pre existing conditions. So patients already in hospital are not counted. It counts a child as hospitalised when the child returns a positive covid test and is admitted to hospital.

There does seem to be an increase in child hospitalizations under the B117 variant. Prof Killeen is absolutely correct to point this out – most of us had no idea the figure was that high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Unknownability

NPHET's measure of hospitalizations does not count children as being hospitalised when children are already in hospital with pre existing conditions. So patients already in hospital are not counted. It counts a child as hospitalised when the child returns a positive covid test and is admitted to hospital.

There does seem to be an increase in child hospitalizations under the B117 variant. Prof Killeen is absolutely correct to point this out – most of us had no idea the figure was that high.

You're making my point, a child breaks his arm needs an operation and tests positive, they are counted as a hospitalisation.

NEPHT has the information as to why they are being hospitalised Gerry doesn't.

You're making my point, a child breaks his arm needs an operation and tests positive, they are counted as a hospitalisation.

NEPHT has the information as to why they are being hospitalised Gerry doesn't.

But we can look at the historic data and see that last september only 1.6% of under-14s with covid were hospitalised. Now it's 5.5%. Has there been a trebling of broken arms? Trampolines are very dangerous as the Minister for Health has told us, but something else is going on.

But we can look at the historic data and see that last september only 1.6% of under-14s with covid were hospitalised. Now it's 5.5%. Has there been a trebling of broken arms? Trampolines are very dangerous as the Minister for Health has told us, but something else is going on.

Why are you asking me?

That information should be coming from the person given a national platform to make the statements, he was trying to provoke a response with the sensational stats so should back them up.

The people with the full picture are NPHET, not Gerry.

Dollars for donuts his kids are back in school next week and I thought it was a great question to show up his faux concern.

The man with all this data pointing at unmanageable numbers of admissions hadn't decided not to send his children to school.

Why are you asking me?

That information should be coming from the person given a national platform to make the statements, he was trying to provoke a response with the sensational stats so should back them up.
    You call the statistics "sensational" and you earlier implied that they were wrong (when you said RTÉ should be fact-checking him), but your criticism seems based more on the fact that you dislike the message (or what you called the professor's "agenda").

NPHET figures show a trebling of the % of children admitted to hospital with Covid-19, now that the B117 variant is dominant. 1 in 20 positive kids being hospitalised is a genuine worry. Let's leave politics out of this.

That's very newsworthy, it deserves to be highlighted. That's all that Prof Killeen was doing imo.

You call the statistics "sensational" and you earlier implied that they were wrong (when you said RTÉ should be fact-checking him), but your criticism seems based more on the fact that you dislike the message (or what you called the professor's "agenda").

NPHET figures show a trebling of the % of children admitted to hospital with Covid-19, now that the B117 variant is dominant. 1 in 20 positive kids being hospitalised is a genuine worry. Let's leave politics out of this.

That's very newsworthy, it deserves to be highlighted. That's all that Prof Killeen was doing imo.

Nice try at deflection, some leap to say people making claims on a national broadcaster should be fact checked prior to broadcasting to the Country.

The infamous presidential debate or the prime time investigate are two examples of what can happen when things are broadcast incorrectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭Villa05

Dempo1 wrote:
    Exactly Katie, this is also a scandal, HSE admin staff are getting vaccinated since day one, I know many who'd never ever deal with Patients. I don't begrudge anyone in a fair process but find it offensive the HSE deny what's going on in their own organisation.

In fairness, when I've had the misfortune to visit a hospital I see more admin staff than medical staff.
    When they know you have health insurance, they continually pester you to sign forms especially where kids are involved.
    Of course I refuse to sign as kids are free, no point paying twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Villa05 wrote: »
    In fairness, when I've had the misfortune to visit a hospital I see more admin staff than medical staff.
    When they know you have health insurance, they continually pester you to sign forms especially where kids are involved.
    Of course I refuse to sign as kids are free, no point paying twice

I'm referring to senior admin staff, Finance, HR, etc, I'm not doubting any admin staff who deal directly with patients should be considered frontline.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ok up and running.... three against one , the usual tag team lined up.

At least Collins will be able to scutch those odds.

Could be a bit volatile.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Two angry Trots and a gormless Junior Minister for nothing yet again.

I think they are just playing episodes from 3 months ago at this point. Same thing week after week after week.

Ok up and running.... three against one , the usual tag team lined up.

At least Collins will be able to scutch those odds.

Could be a bit volatile.....

But Niall appears not to be aware what is going on? Numbers still high, Mandatory Hotel Quarantine looks like its about to be scrapped on foot of some very serious legal concerns, he is in government I believe?

Katie piling in behind O’Broin.... calling in Murphy now

Murphy getting plenty of time to waffle whereas Collins cut down instantly.

touts wrote: »
    Two angry Trots and a gormless Junior Minister for nothing yet again.

Catherine Murphy TD is an angry Trotskyist?

Ah now Niall, let's be serious here, there is serious issues in government, first there's the new vacinne roll out plan, agreed by cabinet members who now are questioning it, Simon Coveney kicking up a fuss as too is the AG, meanwhile Stephen Donnelly oblivious to any concerns, just extraordinary infighting and that's fact Niall.

Here we go, that old chest nut, SF in the North B*****, can a minster from the Republic please deal with the Republic, more deflecting, just tiresome at this stage.

• Advertisement

Sure, forget about the cock up made by the Storey funeral by a bunch who want to get into power down here.

Bullsdust.

Eviction bans.....menu set up to give O ‘Broin a platform.

Should be volatile....

Hmm... change of plan?

O’Broin deflecting blame for what happened.... nothing from Hannon

Very timid response.....very poor from Hannon

Great... had O’Broin on the griddle and didn’t bring in Murphy.

Terrible presentation....

Hmmm. Thought this might get a mention in light of the IRA funerals topic

https://twitter.com/philipoconnor/status/1378283081891786753?s=19

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Thought this might get a mention in light of the IRA funerals topic

https://twitter.com/philipoconnor/status/1378283081891786753?s=19

Why do you feel the need to come up with that?

We had thousands in Belfast in ‘uniform’. Numerous politicians from SF in attendance and ‘marching’

Photo ops with weapons later.

Thousands involved.

This has what in common with Michael Martins commemoration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

We had thousands in Belfast in ‘uniform’. Numerous politicians from SF in attendance and ‘marching’

Photo ops with weapons later.

Thousands involved.

This has what in common with Michael Martins commemoration

Hypocrisy.

Catherine Murphy TD is an angry Trotskyist?

Even worse...a trouser the wedge Trotskyist!

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Hypocrisy.

Has your Internet contract got a word limiter Breener?

Let us know a we’ll Revolut a few eurons over.....?

Just after a bit of consistency. Deliberately tuned into Saturday RTE today, knowing that if anyone was going to broadcast the significance of this event, it would be Hannon herself.

The Taoiseach apparently issued a "directive" for the event in question, honouring his father, which seems to have no legal meaning. It's something that deserves more than the 0 coverage afforded to it.

Hang the shinners out to dry, too, by all means. No complaints from this observer. Just thought KH would have given the Taoiseach's galavanting a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just after a bit of consistency. Deliberately tuned into Saturday RTE today, knowing that if anyone was going to broadcast the significance of this event, it would be Hannon herself.

The Taoiseach apparently issued a "directive" for the event in question, honouring his father, which seems to have no legal meaning. It's something that deserves more than the 0 coverage afforded to it.

Hang the shinners out to dry, too, by all means. No complaints from this observer. Just thought KH would have given the Taoiseach's galavanting a mention.

The thread on this over in the “Current Affairs” forum has been closed as it, appears, to be a nothing story.

Reported on when it took place, back in December, all within the guidelines.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Thanks, Brenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Katie piling in behind O’Broin.... calling in Murphy now

Murphy getting plenty of time to waffle whereas Collins cut down instantly.

Yawn. Have you this on auto post the same time every week?

Yawn. Have you this on auto post the same time every week?

Nah..... had to move it forward an hour this week.... has me all bent outa shape so it has..

Hypocrisy.

I have expanded on my original post just for you, Brenner.

Pat can be hypocritical.

Hmmmm..........

Just sayin'

• Advertisement

Pat can be hypocritical.

Hmmmm..........

Just sayin'

Appreciated Breener, damn white of you.

Pat can be hypocritical.

Hmmmm..........

Just sayin'
    Hmm. Something missing here. Needs more... :confused:

3/5 :rolleyes:

Sorry Bri :cool:

Aaahhh....... the usual ...three against one.

Watch or listen to Hannon trying to cut down Hayden.

Cutting across already.......

Sinn Fein and Labour vs some meaningless Junior Minister yet again.

I'll just listen to a podcast of the show from 3 months ago at double speed and get the same discussion done in half the time.

Sinn Fein and Labour vs some meaningless Junior Minister yet again.

I'll just listen to a podcast of the show from 3 months ago at double speed and get the same discussion done in half the time.

And RTE....... you missed the third leg in the stool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Cutting across or stopping the pre coached waffle? ;)

I think this hotel quarantine is making the govt look disorganised and clueless...again.

They had a year to get this right.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Simon Coveney changing his mind? I think not, he and Leo were adamant about not upsetting the EU. The situation was just ludicrous and both knew it. I still can not fathom what part of a simple and cost effective absolute ban on incoming travellers from listed countries, a simple direction to each government and airlines, update as required. Blunt & Harsh yes but this Mandatory Hotel Quarantine debacle is just beyond farcical and I've no doubt will absolutely cost the state a fortune. Stop people before they even consider flying. If they arrive, send them back at their own cost, it's not rocket science. Why all this confusion, costs, court cases, it's just bizzare.

God I hope the tide has turned, a little personal concern about the AZ vacinne due to a long term condition. I'm supposed to be high risk due to auto immune condition but I'm 55 so happy to wait my turn.

Complex social reasons my H***

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    God I hope the tide has turned, a little personal concern about the AZ vacinne due to a long term condition. I'm supposed to be high risk due to auto immune condition but I'm 55 so happy to wait my turn.

I'd like to get a vaccine soon enough due to cardiac history. The AZ seems not to be suitable to a very small number of people with specific genetic immune response who otherwise are healthy. Genetic testing is the future to most medical solutions, but is a double-edged sword as the insurance companies will be looking at it too.

When they have the MONEY, they can sure make as many "complex social reasons" as required. The legal team will be delighted too of course.

I'd like to get a vaccine soon enough due to cardiac history. The AZ seems not to be suitable to a very small number of people with specific genetic immune response who otherwise are healthy. Genetic testing is the future to most medical solutions, but is a double-edged sword as the insurance companies will be looking at it too.

Yes I agree, I guess the it's quite confusing when sporadic announcements /statements /concerns made about AZ, it doesn't help but I get there's ongoing data and constant information being supplied, but I trust my GP and science, hope your not waiting too long :)

This chancer doesn’t give a bollox about the Covid stuff.......

Name checking to beat the band.

Just let us in and shure it’ll be grand.

Has skin in the game for sure

This chancer doesn’t give a bollox about the Covid stuff.......

Name checking to beat the band.

Just let us and shure it’ll be grand.

Who is the guy? Is he seriously suggesting US multinational companies are not here because of generous corporate Tax rates? Has he heard about that little Apple Tax matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Simon Coveney changing his mind? I think not, he and Leo were adamant about not upsetting the EU. The situation was just ludicrous and both knew it. I still can not fathom what part of a simple and cost effective absolute ban on incoming travellers from listed countries, a simple direction to each government and airlines, update as required. Blunt & Harsh yes but this Mandatory Hotel Quarantine debacle is just beyond farcical and I've no doubt will absolutely cost the state a fortune. Stop people before they even consider flying. If they arrive, send them back at their own cost, it's not rocket science. Why all this confusion, costs, court cases, it's just bizzare.

Quarantine business will never work when countries are being picked on a political basis, all that will happen is that some connected hotel chain will be enriched same as the use of citywest and the conference centre imv
    on the Az im 3 years older than yourself and to be honest I don't care if I never got it after seeing my wife for the couple of weeks after getting it, all through her chemo she never complained but after the Az legs like lead, headaches and the rest, I suspect though life will be made hard for anyone who doesn't take the needle especially for anyone who likes to get away from this damn place every now and then

• Advertisement

Let’s see what the line up is today

3-1 again

The two Trots and a gormless Junior Minister show is on again.

The two Trots and a gormless Junior Minister show is on again.

Who are they I missed the intro?

Who are they I missed the intro?

Com Henry, James Browne ( not the singer) :), Roisin shorthall, David cullinane, Neil Mc Donnell ( ISME)

Com Henry, James Browne ( not the singer) :), Roisin shorthall, David cullinane, Neil Mc Donnell ( ISME)

Jaysus!!

Tks..

• Advertisement
Advertisement