Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Login to EBS online banking very hit and miss

Options
  • 16-01-2020 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭

Have the EBS authenticator app (latest version) installed on my Android phone and I'm at home on a fast Wi-Fi link with VM BB.

The procedure to login to EBS online banking is that you enter your login id, it asks for three random digits from your PIN, then it sends an authentication challenge to the app on your smartphone. A popup screen then appears on your smartphone and you click on 'Confirm' or 'Deny'. If you click on Confirm then the browser session takes you into your accounts.

The problem is with the smartphone authentication and today was a good example. On the first attempt to login, the session on my laptop browser claimed it sent the authentication challenge but I saw nothing on my phone. So I killed the browser session on my laptop and tried again. This time, I got the challenge on the phone, tapped 'Confirm' and this was accepted but them the browser session said there was a problem with the authentication. On the third attempt, it worked and I got into my accounts.

What is wrong with this system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

There's an option to generate OTP in the app which might be more consistent. The OTP is generated even if device is offline although that's not an issue if logging in on the same device.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I can generate a one-time password using the app but how do I use it? The login process in my browser session has no input field for a OTP.

The device with the app possibly needs to be offline so that the notification fails and the OTP option might then appear on the login screen.
    We have sent a notification to your paired device. To complete authentication please click 'CONFIRM' when it arrives.

Device may not have been reached

This could be due to network issues. Please click 'RESEND' to try again or use the EBS Authenticator app to get a One-Time Passcode (OTP), enter the number below and press 'CONTINUE', or else 'CANCEL' to exit

Ten Pin wrote: »
    The device with the app possibly needs to be offline so that the notification fails and the OTP option might then appear on the login screen.

That worked, cheers.

Put the phone into flight mode, logged in on my laptop, the authentication process waited and waited and eventually asked for a one-time password which I entered and it was accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

coylemj wrote: »
    That worked, cheers.

Put the phone into flight mode, logged in on my laptop, the authentication process waited and waited and eventually asked for a one-time password which I entered and it was accepted.

EBS Authenticator app now won't go from my phone's screen. It just stays on. Very annoying Any solutions. I uninstalled the app.

Ebs online a disaster

• Advertisement

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    EBS Authenticator app now won't go from my phone's screen. It just stays on. Very annoying Any solutions. I uninstalled the app.

However bad the authenticator app might be, uninstalling it is a big mistake. You now need to phone them to post (not e-mail) you a new pairing code. For when you reinstall the app.

If you're getting a new phone, you need to ask them for a new code, it has a shelf life of about a month. You can keep using the app on the old phone until you set up the new phone with the new code.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

However bad the authenticator app might be, uninstalling it is a big mistake. You now need to phone them to post (not e-mail) you a new pairing code. For when you reinstall the app.

If you're getting a new phone, you need to ask them for a new code, it has a shelf life of about a month. You can keep using the app on the old phone until you set up the new phone with the new code.
    can confirm do not do this. ive never see a worse implementation of MFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Thanks for letting me know about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

That worked, cheers.

Where did you get the one time password?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

you have to ring them and they post it out to you

• Advertisement

If you're referring to day to day log in then it's in the authenticator app once the app notification fails (which it will when phone is offline/airplane mode), a GENERATE OTP button will appear in the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Walter Knight

I don't like using my smartphone for banking because losing my smartphone is much easier than the 10 kg BB desktop assembled manually decades ago :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

My wife banks with ebs unfortunately and I have to say it's a dreadful "bank" and app, and I'm sick and tired in telling her to switch banks.

If I get a new phone, do I need to get them to send me out a new OTP in the post to activate the Authenticator app?

If I get a new phone, do I need to get them to send me out a new OTP in the post to activate the Authenticator app?

Yes.

You could just continue to use the app on the old phone, it'll work offline and still generate OTP for each login.

Post #7....

Advertisement