Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uncut Gems - upcoming Safdie Bros film with Adam Sandler (!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Watched this again last night. Even on a second viewing it was clammy, uncomfortable and very stressful. Her indoors didn't really enjoy it but she did make a few comments afterwards. Usually if she doesn't enjoy something she just gives it "meh" but she did engage with the story.

We both agreed that
    the tattoo
    is very
    poignant and a symbol of the futility of Howard's existence.

All in all, more of an experience than an enjoyment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shane St. wrote: »
    Don't see the hype with this one.
    Thought Sandler was ok. Found it irritating all the constant shouting and noise. I get that this was their intention but it does not make for a good movie experience or something I would want to see again.

TBH, that's kind of the point though; take away the noise and shouting and it robs the film of its identity. Like saying Back to the Future would be a better film without the DeLorean. Sure, it's definitely not a movie for all seasons, but was quite deliberately crafted to soak the viewer in the world of the character we followed: the chaos, the unrelenting pace and pulsing stress of it all; the film put you right at ground level of Howard's world and didn't let you go, wouldn't let you blink or take breath. Many films that deal with ostensibly stressful environments or careers - like stockbrokers - often fail to convey that sweaty nonstop intensity, the composition of cinema detached from the immediacy of it all. Uncut Gems nailed it, got under my skin, and set my heart-rate up. It certainly did its job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

It's essentially a movie about gambling addiction. Gamblers live on the edge. It should be stressful to watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Few suggestions that the film isn’t particularly ‘enjoyable’ to watch... but gotta say I found it absolutely compulsive viewing that I couldn’t look away from. Has far more energy and things to keep you hooked than the vast majority of films. Sure, it’s stressful and intense and rather exhausting... but it’s also one of the most intensely watchable films of the last few years for me, and one that grabbed my attention in ways most popcorn fodder or blockbuster fare doesn’t. Definitely ‘enjoyable’ for me in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

I was laughing my arse off at it. Especially that scene
    at the end when Kevin Garnett is roaring at him "Why were you getting someone to jack up the bids? You don't know I know you are doing all this? What the f**k man"
    I was bent over laughing, then
    Howard flips around the laptop with all the bet prices for the game that night
    I lost it altogether.

Its the perfect depiction of a total degenerate clown totally out of control.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

I watched Good Time last night and I was absolutely blown away. Now I loved Uncut Gems but Good Time is twice as good. There's 4 or 5 moments in the film I was howling with laughter. It's so fùcked up.

I'll watch anything the brothers do now. They are incredibly talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

weemcd wrote: »
    I watched Good Time last night and I was absolutely blown away. Now I loved Uncut Gems but Good Time is twice as twice as good. There's 4 or 5 moments in the film I was howling with laughter. It's so fùcked up.

I'll watch anything the brothers do now. They are incredibly talented.

It's defo next on my list - they sure know how to stitch a story together.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Well they certainly channelled the vibe of the movie in their Spirit Awards acceptance speech :D

https://twitter.com/thepopcornreel/status/1226296746118012928?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Julia Fox’s vocal fry was a great touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Every inch of this movie from the characters, music style and direction wanted to stress you out. It was a horrible experience but captivating at the same time.

It was amazing to think that this was Julia foxes first main acting role. I thought she was excellent.

I am also glad that Netflix also added some studio Ghibli films this month. The perfect destressing antedote to this anxiety attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Loved Sandler's acceptance speech for Best Male lead at the Independant Spirit Awards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Really enjoyed it, Sandler is suberb and it moves really fast but apart from the last 15 minutes or so, I didn't find it that intense.

The way people were talking about it, I was expecting it to be a lot more unsettling/intense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Loved Sandler's acceptance speech for Best Male lead at the Independant Spirit Awards :D

Loved him shouting out his fellow nominees who will forever be know as the guys who lost to ****ing Adam Sandler :pac:

Describing movies like Billy Madison and The Waterboy as high concept arthouse pieces is a great bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Amazing film, so relentless and horribly stressful to watch, the film does an incredible job of making you feel like you're somehow an unwitting part of everything that's playing out on screen. Sandler really at his best here. Major thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Interesting to see so many people outside Europe wondering what the end credits song is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Homelander wrote: »
    so relentless and horribly stressful to watch, the film does an incredible job of making you feel like you're somehow an unwitting part of everything that's playing out on screen.

That was my take also. It is a very immersive experience bordering on the overwhelming at times so kudos to the directors and Sandler for creating that tension.

I'm still not sure where I fall in terms of rating the movie. At heart it is a pretty simple story amplified by the way the directors choose to tell it in a loud and manic fashion.

Not many movies create that effect authentically however, so on balance I think this is a very strong movie that won't suit everybody but deserves to be watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fantastic piece of cinema.

My heart was racing by the end of it.

Not one for me really. Was really excited based on the reviews and hype.

Amazing film, so relentless and horribly stressful to watch, the film does an incredible job of making you feel like you're somehow an unwitting part of everything that's playing out on screen. Sandler really at his best here. Major thumbs up!

One technique that massively contributes to these feelings is how close up a lot of the shots are, I just skimmed through the trailer there and even that's riddled with dialogue scenes with extreme closeups.

Screenshot-2020-02-11-at-19-55-04.png
    Screenshot-2020-02-11-at-19-55-16.png
    Screenshot-2020-02-11-at-19-55-42.png
    Screenshot-2020-02-11-at-19-56-39.png
    Screenshot-2020-02-11-at-19-56-52.png
    Screenshot-2020-02-11-at-19-57-02.png
    Screenshot-2020-02-11-at-19-57-19.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The scene with the broken door was the zenith for me, just a crystalised, distilled moment of the overall levels of stress and anxiety threaded throughout the film. The buzzing wouldn't stop, and I felt like screaming at the screen to fix the effing door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

pixelburp wrote: »
    The scene with the broken door was the zenith for me, just a crystalised, distilled moment of the overall levels of stress and anxiety threaded throughout the film. The buzzing wouldn't stop, and I felt like screaming at the screen to fix the effing door.

A Saturday morning after a damaging Friday night session but you've forgot to turn off the recurring alarm on your phone. That's what it reminded me of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Nice Moog sponsored little doc on the soundtrack

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Watched it last night. I'm torn. Think it is a good movie but Adams shouting throughout the movie definitely took away from the enjoyment. It made it uncomfortable for me to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Pretty complete capture of a degenerate, if well meaning, gambler. Well done to Sandler.

Watched this tonight..didn’t know what to expect but really liked it...the tension and anxiety from start to finish...great flick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Watched it last night and felt exhausted afterwards not sure if i liked it or not sleazy and dark and frantic genuinely wouldn't recommend for an enjoyable night viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So many of the recent comments above kind of sum it up for me.

I enjoyed it, but not as much as many viewers. Again maybe the hype built it up a bit, but a 6/10 for me.

I found it kinda tiring to watch, if that makes sense? It was chaotic, noisy, shouty, annoying at times, too many people talking at the same time, etc etc. You all know what I mean if you've seen it.

But I guess this is what the directors were going for. To try to show us how messed up this life was. I get it that we are watching a man whose life is chaotic and dangerous etc and going off the rails. That they achieved but its not a very easy watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

Amazing film, so relentless and horribly stressful to watch, the film does an incredible job of making you feel like you're somehow an unwitting part of everything that's playing out on screen.!

I agree it’s horribly stressful to watch but really don’t think that’s a good thing, not how I wanted to spend my spare time anyway, I have enough stress at work. I made to half way through this movie before I had to stop it and go get a couple of headache tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I made it halfway then deleted it. Awful film; it was very annoying.

Advertisement