Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wine bars in cork?

Options
  • 17-10-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Anyone know of a good wine bar in cork city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Anyone know of a good wine bar in cork city?

Despite the limited opening, I think Meades is lovely. Especially this time of year, bottle of wine by the fire, hard to beat. Not flash but very homely.

On Oliver Plunkett street. You can, if you want, get food from Milano across the street and eat in the bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

Agree with above poster. Gulpd cafe in the triskel arts centre is fantastic too. They stay open v late at the weekend. Lovely laid back atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Boqueria on Bridge St is a really bustling lively place if you like that kind of thing. Ring and book if you want a table though.

Pity Cruibin is closed. Miss that place! I actually thought Meade's was closed too. Haven't been there in a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Isn't Meades closed? I haven't seen it open in months now.

Faith wrote: »
    Isn't Meades closed? I haven't seen it open in months now.

It appears you're right - talking to a friend of the owner at lunchtime - closed for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

What's the place on Washington Street like, next to the river, across from DAOL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

evilivor wrote: »
    It appears you're right - talking to a friend of the owner at lunchtime - closed for the foreseeable future.

This makes me sad, although I knew it already :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

reic wrote: »
    What's the place on Washington Street like, next to the river, across from DAOL.

That's Indigo. Formerly Cafe De La Paix.

You could also try Gusto on on thursday/friday/saturday it has a late opening, never been there for that side of their business though, only get coffee and sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanachiever1

Went to Meade's recently to discover too that it is closed. pity. Went to Boqueria instead and was disappointed. Nice measure of good wine but the Asian staff member was not very nice and then they started blowing out candles early and generally telling my date and I to leave. (it was half hour before the advertised closing time.)

Went to Meade's recently to discover too that it is closed. pity. Went to Boqueria instead and was disappointed. Nice measure of good wine but the Asian staff member was not very nice and then they started blowing out candles early and generally telling my date and I to leave. (it was half hour before the advertised closing time.)

Ha, we had a similar...abrupt encounter with that Asian staff member! We basically came in for a drink but before we ordered she demanded to know if we booked a table. I started to say no and explain we didn't want to eat, but she cut me off and was incredulous we hadn't booked and rushed off to find the manager to see if we could be served at the bar! We were standing there saying 'we just want a drink!' I thought it was because she was new and trying to be efficient :-)

Gusto is quite nice. And you can BYO...although maybe you don't want that if you are looking for a wine bar. The food is lovely in Gusto and very reasonable. But not the most comfortable seating for a any length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PerthGirl

Malari wrote: »

Ha, we had a similar...abrupt encounter with that Asian staff member! We basically came in for a drink but before we ordered she demanded to know if we booked a table. I started to say no and explain we didn't want to eat, but she cut me off and was incredulous we hadn't booked and rushed off to find the manager to see if we could be served at the bar! We were standing there saying 'we just want a drink!' I thought it was because she was new and trying to be efficient :-)

Gusto is quite nice. And you can BYO...although maybe you don't want that if you are looking for a wine bar. The food is lovely in Gusto and very reasonable. But not the most comfortable seating for a any length of time.

Running off to find the manager? I was under the impression said staff member was the manager.

Such a shame that Irish girl isn't working behind the bar anymore. She was great. Her cocktails were unreal!

I didnt get the impression she was management. She wasn't very efficient anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

PerthGirl wrote: »
    Such a shame that Irish girl isn't working behind the bar anymore. She was great. Her cocktails were unreal!

Was that the blonde girl? She made great mojitos. Boqueria is a fustrating spot - sometimes it's great, other times it's average. They seem to change the menu regularly and it's not always the same quality.

I've heard on Twitter of a new wine bar opening soon called L'Atitude 51. Don't know where it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

dudara wrote: »
    I've heard on Twitter of a new wine bar opening soon called L'Atitude 51. Don't know where it is though.

they're keeping the venue secret for some reason. I've heard a couple of rumours - hopefully it'll be good. they've mentioned doing food too, which would be a great idea.

Boqueria is a fustrating spot - sometimes it's great, other times it's average.

Agree wholeheartedly: went in a while back, for the first time in ages - it was was friendly, it was good value, the food was fab and it was just terrific.

Went back a couple of months later and, it was unfriendly - I believe the staff member has been mentioned above a few times - it was far from good value and the food was distinctly, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Bar Pigalle next door to Tom Barry's on Barrack St.

chakotha wrote: »

Ah, this is a place I really want to try!

Also, I heard over the weekend that Italee, the coffee place on Oliver Plunkett St also does wine and food? I haven't been there either, so can't corroborate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine is involved in the new bar, in fact they're running a competition on Facebook at the moment to guess where it is. Not sure of the opening date yet but I'll find out more this week.

opus wrote: »

A friend of mine is involved in the new bar, in fact they're running a competition on Facebook at the moment to guess where it is. Not sure of the opening date yet but I'll find out more this week.

That the Lobby as was, latterly an cruibin?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's my thoughts also. I emailed them, they're expecting to open end of November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Fea

Wondering is this where the Cruibin was? It is currently being renovated and heard a wine shop & bar being set up.

F

Called Latitude, I believe. Can't wait for it to open, hope it's nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Malari wrote: »
    Called Latitude, I believe. Can't wait for it to open, hope it's nice!

Opened last weekend!

I think it wasn't fully open till a couple of nights ago. I walk past it regularly and although I saw people inside, the doors were shut! Will try it out this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm hoping to get in next week, this week got away from me. I've seen some good reviews on twitter already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I heard La Dolce Vita are planning on opening a bar upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

anyone get around to trying the latitude wine bar yet? is it nice?

The staff there are generally ****e, such as me ordering 2 different measures of x and y and getting larger measures instead (great if it was a free mistake but it wasn't, i drank it anyway :P)

chakotha wrote: »

I went there just after it opened and it was very cool, well worth a visit.

• Advertisement

mimihops wrote: »
    anyone get around to trying the latitude wine bar yet? is it nice?

I've been in a couple of times, just for a glass of wine around 7pm or so - haven't eaten there yet. It was very quiet at that time, and the atmosphere seems totally different to Cruibin. The wine menu is extensive! And only written up on a blackboard on the left as you go in, so it's not the easiest to read, especially if someone is sitting under it :pac:

I just asked at the bar for a recommendation, and they were helpful. It's somewhere I'd try again, maybe later in the evening so there's a bit of a buzz going.

Advertisement