Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pi Network Cryptocurrency - Worth a shot?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

deegs wrote: »
    Deleted this app and others like bee and timestop reckon if the app is using adverts and firing interaction it's a scam....

The adverts is a means of revenue before the mainnet goes live. It was supported by most of the PI community, the option is there not to see the ads if you want.
    It was that or release the mainnet before it was ready. They want the blockchain to be very usable, and not some hodling coin like others.
    Hold tough its costing you nothing, when it goes live it will have the biggest user-base of the Cryptoworld by a clear mile. Unlike Bitcoin which is 80%+ owned by Chinese miners or other Crypto's which favour early adopters PI is giving a fair chance to everyone to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭starWave

There is no main net. It's a scam to show you ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

I was worried once I saw ads coming up also but in fairness there is a need to cover cost and an option to turn off the ads (albeit only for 2weeks at a time).
    giving this a chance for now, but will monitor closely on progression and dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AlphaOmega1

There’s a similar Coin called Bee. I think they copied the idea from Pi.

If anyone wants to join it you can use my ref: colinoneill

I’ve accumulated 700 so far, pretty proud of myself, might be worth a euro one day lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I think these are all just ad revenue generators for the creators. Nobody is "mining" anything.
    Id say this and bee wont amount to anything.
    Of you are going to go to the bother of logging into an app everyday you might aswell sign up to coin app and generate coins towards buying xyo tokens. They have a use case and can be traded in for fiat at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AlphaOmega1

seannash wrote: »
    I think these are all just ad revenue generators for the creators. Nobody is "mining" anything.
    Id say this and bee wont amount to anything.
    Of you are going to go to the bother of logging into an app everyday you might aswell sign up to coin app and generate coins towards buying xyo tokens. They have a use case and can be traded in for fiat at some stage.

There’s no ads on iOS for Bee. So what’s their revenue source on iPhones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

There’s no ads on iOS for Bee. So what’s their revenue source on iPhones?

Pi had no adverts in the begining either. It may come or they may just focus on android users. Perhaps they are waiting for a certain amount of iOS users before launching adverts.
    They know that if they let people build up a certain amount of coins they are more invested and less likely to stop gathering coins even if they turn on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Finn 20

How do I pi network verification code ?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Seriously, see the other Pi thread. This is a terribly thought out scam.

* The coins are premined
    * You're not 'mining' anything, although someone is mining your information
    * The codebase is an old fork of a much older and reputable coin (XLM)
    * They promise that they keep tabs on everything and will totally give you your magic beans in the future, pinky promise, but have no roadmap or guarantee of anything regarding withdrawal capabilities, listing or anything else.
    * You don't own anything, you won't own anything, and their 'referral' structure is a classic pyramid scheme
    * You've all just installed an app with significant permissions and monetisable ads on your phone

Anything else I've missed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Seriously, see the other Pi thread. This is a terribly thought out scam.

* The coins are premined
    * You're not 'mining' anything, although someone is mining your information
    * The codebase is an old fork of a much older and reputable coin (XLM)
    * They promise that they keep tabs on everything and will totally give you your magic beans in the future, pinky promise, but have no roadmap or guarantee of anything regarding withdrawal capabilities, listing or anything else.
    * You don't own anything, you won't own anything, and their 'referral' structure is a classic pyramid scheme
    * You've all just installed an app with significant permissions and monetisable ads on your phone

Anything else I've missed?

nope that covers it :)

I'll still hold my 2k tokens just in case tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭frankyboy1986

Joined a few weeks ago and looking to increase my security circle if anyone I tested please pm me

Also anyone new looking to join feel free to use me as a referral @marlonmarto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Even if it was a scam at the start. They would be daft not to launch a coin with 14 million active users.

Apparently there is a back alley market for these coins and they go for up to $10.

Apparently there is a back alley market for these coins and they go for up to $10.

Citation needed.

Even if it was a scam at the start. They would be daft not to launch a coin with 14 million active users.

Strange, how do you send them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Citation needed.

They're actually trading for a notional value of $100 per coin.
    There is a discord group with vendors who support the coin. If you buy something with Pi from a vendor you are then prohibited from making any other purchase using the token until you reciprocate by accepting Pi for a transaction.
    If you don't have anything to sell, they have a list of things users want, eg. links to Amazon products and a user saying "I want this". So you can buy something for a user using your own FIAT and you accept payment from the user in Pi.

It's all explained well in this video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Wow, big AVOID for me.

That's like me saying I have this bag of stones, I value each stone at $100 and if you want a stone you have to sell me something for it up to a FIAT value of $100. You've already given loads of people their own stones for free so now everyone thinks their stone is also worth $100.

I can't see anybody other than current Pi holders wanting anything to do with the token. There will be a lot of people left out of pocket here if they get caught up on trading this.

There is a discord group with vendors who support the coin. If you buy something with Pi from a vendor you are then prohibited from making any other purchase using the token until you reciprocate by accepting Pi for a transaction.
    If you don't have anything to sell, they have a list of things users want, eg. links to Amazon products and a user saying "I want this". So you can buy something for a user using your own FIAT and you accept payment from the user in Pi.

That is dangerously stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

If you don't have anything to sell, they have a list of things users want, eg. links to Amazon products and a user saying "I want this". So you can buy something for a user using your own FIATand you accept payment from the user in Pi.

MASSIVE RISK! avoid at all cost, i have pi but going to go on a limb and say it's completely worthless, sorry i even gave that youtuber a view, looks like a complete shiller of PI and BEE and other worthless tokens.
    Yes it may be worth money some day but i would never pay for for or trade it for real crypto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I haven't traded it myself, I'm just sitting on the sidelines waiting for it to hit an exchange at some stage. But there is a fairly large number of people with faith in it who are trading it regardless of how stupid that is.
    Remember, they are accepting Pi for payment, but are also able to use it for payment so it's not a one way street.

I haven't traded it myself, I'm just sitting on the sidelines waiting for it to hit an exchange at some stage. But there is a fairly large number of people with faith in it who are trading it regardless of how stupid that is.
    Remember, they are accepting Pi for payment, but are also able to use it for payment so it's not a one way street.

It will never hit the exchange btw. I couldn't watch that video but did he say you have to pay a fee to be part of this pi payment crap?

• Advertisement

It is totally worthless. They say that in the FAQ.

If it does get to the mainnet then there is already 14million people that know about it, have it and can actively start using it.

In the other hand it could just be a clever way to harvest data and show ads.

In the other hand it could just be a clever way to harvest data and show ads.

This. This is the only credible point.

This notion that it's worth *anything* atm is just bogus; least of all a 'notional' value of anything for a coin no one even holds! It's a Ponzi Scheme/IOU scam with extra steps.

This. This is the only credible point.

This notion that it's worth *anything* atm is just bogus; least of all a 'notional' value of anything for a coin no one even holds! It's a Ponzi Scheme/IOU scam with extra steps.

The fact that it holds no value and won't for a long time gives me more confidence. The sheer volume of coins that sold the coin on a promise without any use case in the last ICO bubble was astronomical.

With this they are building the community, building the use case and if it gets to the point where it is working then it will become worth something.

We live in a world where a literal meme coin with no use exists and is making people millionaires.

We live in a world where a literal meme coin with no use exists and is making people millionaires.

Presume you're referring to Dogecoin. This is a complete dogwhistle argument as Doge is:

- Pegged to fiat
    - Has public consensus as a value store
    - Mineable (without a cap so it inflates)
    - Listed on almost every exchange in existence
    - Ownable and transferable
    - Readily accepted in a wide variety of retail and service transactions online and offline
    The fact that it holds no value and won't for a long time gives me more confidence. The sheer volume of coins that sold the coin on a promise without any use case in the last ICO bubble was astronomical.

Good for you. Find me another crypto that wasn't listed on any exchange and where no one actually held the underlying token. It's a null argument as Pi isn't an 'ICO' as there's no fiat or exchangeable component as, and I stress this again, nobody but the network owners hold any.
    With this they are building the community, building the use case and if it gets to the point where it is working then it will become worth something.

What use-case? What milestone? Even in some future fantasy whereby it was suddenly worth something and exchangeable for Fiat or other crypto, nobody but the network owners hold any.

Another step closer.

The test Pi wallet is available on desktop, the mobile app is being reviewed by Google and Apple before it goes live in a few days.

It runs on the testnet and is just there for testing the transactions, the test Pi you get are not real.

Once the mainnet comes online you will be able to add your mined Pi to the wallet and start using it.

Mainnet is still set for the end of this year.

And they crossed 15 million active users so once it does go live it wil already have a big user base.

So 5 million trillion PI coins then?

I'm Posting this from the Pi browser !!

Mobile wallet is up and running too. 100 test Pi granted to test it out.

Rolling into phase 3 mainnet by the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

I'm Posting this from the Pi browser !!

Mobile wallet is up and running too. 100 test Pi granted to test it out.

Rolling into phase 3 mainnet by the end of the year.

Transfers on the testnet are instant, very impressive.
    Anyone here running a full node from the cloud like on a AWS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭914

Just got the wallet anyone wanna send of receive test pi and I see how rapid it is. My address is

GB5XYXNQOZM5CCU32SSIAD55WMM3CYTCSBCILVH2I4ILEXTVXTO5DZ74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Transfers on the testnet are instant, very impressive.
    Anyone here running a full node from the cloud like on a AWS?

Nothing to add, but your user name brought back many good memories.

• Advertisement

914 wrote: »
    Just got the wallet anyone wanna send of receive test pi and I see how rapid it is. My address is

GB5XYXNQOZM5CCU32SSIAD55WMM3CYTCSBCILVH2I4ILEXTVXTO5DZ74

10 sent at 8:02pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭914

10 sent at 8:02pm

That was rapid, had it straight away

Just sent back then 8.20am, easy to copy your address from the history

914 wrote: »
    That was rapid, had it straight away

Just sent back then 8.20am, easy to copy your address from the history

Got them at 8.20 as well. It is a test so likely low volume. But when you see established wallets taking hours to deliver this is very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beleg Cuthalion

If anyone needs a code you can use Ciaran32

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gabeguevara

Far from being scam pi cryptocurrency is the new deal in town with over 35 million subscribers in over 175 countries. Don't miss out - just launched into its enclosed mainnet - referal code = Bigtoff

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gabeguevara

With Over 50 million downloads - don't miss out like I did with Bitcoin.

referal code = Bigtoff

Post edited by gabeguevara on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 karankhurana

I am new to this pi network and crypto. Looking for trusted people for my security circle. Also my referral is karankhurana96.

Advertisement