Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Irish Stamps Book Query

Options
  • 14-04-2021 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭

I want to post an item, & Post Office Clerk weighed the item and it comes to €4.80. I have a Book of Stamps and want to pay for the posting of the Packet with my Book of Stamps, is this possible?!

The Book of Stamps did cost €10 for 10 Stamps, is that still in-essence 1 x €1 Stamp for 1 Standard Envelope? The Book says in Small Print that Each Stamp is for 100g or something or other...:rolleyes::rolleyes: On the An Post Website, a €4.80 Packet equals a Weight of 250g...

So how many Stamps would I put on my Item... Each Stamp = 100g in Weight, and my item of €4.80 is 250g according to the Website so would 3 Stamps; 3 x 100g = 300g cover my 250g, OR should I put on 5 Stamps counting 1 Stamp as €1 where 5 Stamps would come to €5, - covering my €4.80 in money....

OhMyGosh I have a Headache trying to write that so as it reads decently!:D:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Five to meet the 4.80.

The weight is the max weight for an envelope thickness item of that size; packets and parcels have different rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A standard postage stamp is €1 and can be used to send a standard letter of up to 100g.

A standard letter fits into a letterbox and is easily and quickly sorted by letter sorting machines.

A 250g packet is too bulky to go into a letterbox and can go through letter sorting machines, so the extra time it takes to sort and the time to deliver (ring doorbell, wait for answer) and the size all adds up to additional cost. Hence 250g small packet is €4.80 whereas a 250g envelope is about half that.

But yes, the standard "N" stamps can be used towards any postage at a value of €1

Advertisement