Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA €50 delivery!

Options
  • 06-04-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I was looking to buy a few items on IKEA (2 lamps and a flat pack office desk) and I'm being quoted €50 delivery to Meath! Seems a bit excessive to charge that much for delivery. I'd understand if I was up in Donegal or Inis Mor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PapaBooje

I agree. It's insane that a chain of this size is not willing to do some work on their logistics and provide €15 shipping or even free shipping over certain value. They are loosing significant chunk of business charging €50 for delivery..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They missed out on business big time during lockdown .I know so many who needed furniture and went elsewhere as the delivery was far too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I was getting an office desk for working from home. Lovely desk for €75. Postage was also €75. Yeah, I went elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I just want to get some tradfri bulbs but it’s just not worth it €10 delivery

When they were open it was €5 for click and collect which is absolutely bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I just want to get some tradfri bulbs but it’s just not worth it €10 delivery

When they were open it was €5 for click and collect which is absolutely bonkers

They were actually charging for Click and Collect? Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

chewed wrote: »
    They were actually charging for Click and Collect? Wow!

Sorry, I didn’t realise it’s free over €100
    How much does it cost?
    Collection at our IKEA Dublin store is €5 or free if you spend over €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

chewed wrote: »
    I was looking to buy a few items on IKEA (2 lamps and a flat pack office desk) and I'm being quoted €50 delivery to Meath! Seems a bit excessive to charge that much for delivery. I'd understand if I was up in Donegal or Inis Mor.

In my opinion I assume Ikea feel it's in their best interest to keep postage high.

A - Their ideal scenario is to get you in the store for a few hours, bring the whole family and impulse buy a trolley load of stuff. You can't go in their store at the moment, but you probably will be able to again in the next 6 months. If they made a change like gave free delivery over X or whatever, that basically needs to stay around for ever, or they have to swallow the negative press of reverting it.

B - There isn't a huge amount of options in this space. They are the best set up furniture shop for doing online sales. Like if you don't get your lamps and desks off Ikea, who are you going to go to? Overall are they going to be cheaper?

C - They probably make money on postage. (It's E75 for us out West btw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Gamergurll

It's bonkers money, I only paid it once and for furniture I usually look elsewhere though I do like IKEA. The only thing that was said to me was that it makes business sense to them because you can buy as much as you want for the same shipping cost so for the sake of argument if I was to kit out the while house it would be a great price. But for such a big company they should be able to manage their shipping costs better for less items.. One small set of shelves quoted me €80 the other day :/

It's not really a rip off Ireland thing in fairness, I have asked friends abroad and the shipping costs there roughly equal the same, granted they are much bigger countries than here..

I'm not sure about Dublin but here they don't use the known couriers either, a local delivered to me the last time I ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It could be worse. They were charging customers €30 for delivery to their own store in Carrickmines!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Paid 50 euro for a large computer desk delivered today. Ordered a smaller item this evening and 15 euro delivery fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Thankfully Adverts and Donedeal have nearly their entire range at this stage if you look hard enough, at a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They missed out on business big time during lockdown .I know so many who needed furniture and went elsewhere as the delivery was far too expensive

The figures suggest otherwise. Last year the group had almost €8 BILLION online sales. No breakdown for Ireland, but I placed 2 order about 6 weeks apart and the order numbers suggest they are processing about 10,000 - 15,000 orders a week.

On the delivery charge it varies from €10 to €50 depending on the size/weight. This reflects whether its a simple parcel delivery by dpd or a one man with van delivery or a 2 man with van delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I forked for it once for a few big items I wanted to Galway. They had some cowboy delivery drivers arrive with all the flatpacks they were delivering just ****ed in the back poking around like a game of kerplunk, after an age rooting for mine they were missing half of my bed. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bb12

yeah worst delivery experience...first of all it took weeks to be able to get a delivery spot online and when the order arrived, it was split into lots of mini orders and i didn't know when to expect what. it contained a few plastic boxes which were all cracked or smashed on arrival.

as a seasoned amazon customer, it was obvious to me that ikea are just not set up correctly for online orders. i won't be ordering online again but will just wait until they're open or shop elsewhere in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The stores are like showhouses, they don't make a living off my Mam with her family card buying a tenner's worth of stuff and getting a cheap lunch and free coffee at the weekend.

They want people getting full room fitouts or full house or apartment fitouts as much as possible, at which point the €50 delivery becomes inconsequential. I've been that soldier and they still save you a fortune when you're moving out for the first time / moving house or like a huge number of people this year just doing big makeovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

i paid 80 for delivery of two pax wardrobes to cork with a load of the interior pack out accessories for the wardrobes. I'd happily pay it again because the cost of travelling,food, time and arguments :D it was well worth it. never mind having to rent a van if there wasn't suitable transport available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I ordered a mattress from them (needed a single euro size) back in Feb, delivery was 15euro and came 4 days after ordering, delighted with the service

Ordered a load of stuff off them last week. €15 delivery.

Once you go over a certain size of item, it seems, is when the higher fees kick in. Which is reasonable enough in fairness, considering Ikea aren't really a delivery 'amazon' style of company. They want you in their shop, and the stuff is dirt cheap as it is. Hardly fair to expect them to subsidise the shipping cost aswell as provide some of the cheapest furniture you can get your hands on.

i paid 80 for delivery of two pax wardrobes to cork with a load of the interior pack out accessories for the wardrobes. I'd happily pay it again because the cost of travelling,food, time and arguments :D it was well worth it. never mind having to rent a van if there wasn't suitable transport available

And the cost of all the extra stuff you buy but don't need :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ordered a load of stuff off them last week. €15 delivery.

Once you go over a certain size of item, it seems, is when the higher fees kick in. Which is reasonable enough in fairness, considering Ikea aren't really a delivery 'amazon' style of company. They want you in their shop, and the stuff is dirt cheap as it is. Hardly fair to expect them to subsidise the shipping cost aswell as provide some of the cheapest furniture you can get your hands on.

I had the same thing myself. Large PC desk 50 euro delivery. Small bedside locker 15 euro. 15 euro is delivered by An Post. Large items 50 euro, are man in a van. I think both good value

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Driver salary 15 euro per hour (incl. time loading/offloading)
    Truck fuel consumption 25L per 100km (each way)
    Van fuel consumption 11L per 100km (each way)
    Vehicle depreciation and servicing ~
    Little of commercial interest ~

===================
    Do the math

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

I was in the logistics business in an earlier life - believe me nobody is getting wealthy delivering furniture to Meath for €50!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Didn’t IKEA have to provide a delivery service as part of their planning permission? But they certainly don’t want to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

vicwatson wrote: »
    Didn’t IKEA have to provide a delivery service as part of their planning permission? But they certainly don’t want to do it

I'm sure they do, they just don't want to do it for nothing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering they didn't offer delivery at all when they opened I don't think they were.

They were required to charge for parking during peak hours at the start, but were let stop - you can see where the barriers and ticket machines were.

markmoto wrote: »
    Driver salary 15 euro per hour (incl. time loading/offloading)
    Truck fuel consumption 25L per 100km (each way)
    Van fuel consumption 11L per 100km (each way)
    Vehicle depreciation and servicing ~
    Little of commercial interest ~

===================
    Do the math
    They won't be out doing just one delivery.

The guys delivering mine looked like they had about a dozen deliveries.

Still not great money.

12x€41 (net of vat)
    2 men
    Van
    Fuel

They might clear €150 each

Advertisement