Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 positive pregnancy tests but one negative

Options
  • 08-04-2021 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hello everyone ☺️

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

I had an early miscarriage 4 months ago and ttc since then. This month, my period was 2 days late. I did a pregnancy test on the 2nd day and said negative. The next few days haf some spotting on and off and then my period started what seemed like a normal period for 4 days.

Roll on 5 days after my period ended and I had a tiny bit of spotting again which is unusual for me.

Out of pure confusion I did a pregnancy test first thing this morning (7 days after my period ended) and it has shown as positive. It's a digital one and says pregnant. I did another 3 since then. One said negative and the other 2 are clear blue dating tests which both say pregnant 1-2 weeks but none of this ties into my dates what so ever

I'm utterly confused. I considered the possibility that my "period" was another miscarriage but the fact that the test I did when my period was 2 days late said not pregnant makes me think otherwise.

Any thoughts??:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I think you should probably contact your GP? Definitely might be safer to know what's going on rather than getting stressed and second guessing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

GingerLily wrote: »
    I think you should probably contact your GP? Definitely might be safer to know what's going on rather than getting stressed and second guessing yourself

Thanks for your reply. You're probably right I suppose I was hoping someone would be a gem of knowledge or experience and have a gone thru something similar x

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

The "period" was possibly implantation bleeding. Early pregnancy bleeding is also common but not normal. I had had this twice and unfortunately miscarried both times. Then I had some minor early pregnancy bleeding next time and continued to have a healthy pregnancy.

Were all 3 tests the same brand? Some have different sensitivities and will appear positive on one brand and negative on another. Also of the level of hcg is just at the threshold of sensitivity then you could get mixed results. Test again tomorrow, first wee of the morning is the strongest too and the hcg becomes more dilute and harder to detect later in the day. This could also explain the negative.

Do be aware even if misscarying a pregnancy test will stay positive until the hcg drops below the level of sensitivity of the test.

Unfortunately if you are miscarrying your gp can't do anything for you and it is managed through your maternity hospital. You could call there and ask to speak to a midwife. They will see you even if not registered with them yet.

I hope everything works out.

Minier81 wrote: »
    The "period" was possibly implantation bleeding. Early pregnancy bleeding is also common but not normal. I had had this twice and unfortunately miscarried both times. Then I had some minor early pregnancy bleeding next time and continued to have a healthy pregnancy.

Were all 3 tests the same brand? Some have different sensitivities and will appear positive on one brand and negative on another. Also of the level of hcg is just at the threshold of sensitivity then you could get mixed results. Test again tomorrow, first wee of the morning is the strongest too and the hcg becomes more dilute and harder to detect later in the day. This could also explain the negative.

Do be aware even if misscarying a pregnancy test will stay positive until the hcg drops below the level of sensitivity of the test.

Unfortunately if you are miscarrying your gp can't do anything for you and it is managed through your maternity hospital. You could call there and ask to speak to a midwife. They will see you even if not registered with them yet.

I hope everything works out.

Thankyou for this.

The tests were 2 different brands. Tesco brand I did the first test and showed positive, second test was same brand and showed negative. Next 2 tests were clear blue and showed positive but 1-2 weeks only which doesn't tie into dates.

I know from my first miscarriage by day 5 of bleeding the test showed as negative and I was afew weeks further on. My hunch is unfortunately not a viable pregnancy but still very confused by so many positive tests and in particular the fact that I did a test the day before bleeding started and it showed as negative.

Will test again tmw and next day see does anything change.

I never realised how confusing this could be

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Thankyou for this.

The tests were 2 different brands. Tesco brand I did the first test and showed positive, second test was same brand and showed negative. Next 2 tests were clear blue and showed positive but 1-2 weeks only which doesn't tie into dates.

I know from my first miscarriage by day 5 of bleeding the test showed as negative and I was afew weeks further on. My hunch is unfortunately not a viable pregnancy but still very confused by so many positive tests and in particular the fact that I did a test the day before bleeding started and it showed as negative.

Will test again tmw and next day see does anything change.

I never realised how confusing this could be

My gp told me that it was 50/50 chance of miscarriage following the implantation bleeding, when it was enough to make you think it was a period. Be cautiously optimistic, all might be ok yet. No point in testing more than once a day.

And if any abdominal pain or shoulder tip pain got to maternity unit immediately, they are open 24/7. I called my gp on miscarriage 1 and all she could do was calm me down and get me to go straight into the maternity hospital.

It's so tough, my miscarriages were one after the other, really feel for you and hope this ends up a good outcome. I also was in tears at midnight when 5 week pregnant (ie a week after period due) in my maternity hospital with bleeding and now have a beautiful 2.5yo from that pregnancy.

• Advertisement

Minier81 wrote: »
    My gp told me that it was 50/50 chance of miscarriage following the implantation bleeding, when it was enough to make you think it was a period. Be cautiously optimistic, all might be ok yet. No point in testing more than once a day.

And if any abdominal pain or shoulder tip pain got to maternity unit immediately, they are open 24/7. I called my gp on miscarriage 1 and all she could do was calm me down and get me to go straight into the maternity hospital.

It's so tough, my miscarriages were one after the other, really feel for you and hope this ends up a good outcome. I also was in tears at midnight when 5 week pregnant (ie a week after period due) in my maternity hospital with bleeding and now have a beautiful 2.5yo from that pregnancy.

Thankyou so much for this. Having just gone thru it afew months ago, I know all too well how hard it is. TBH I think I'm reluctant to involve my gp yet as he will send me straight to the hospital and it's all just so stressful!

I think I will remain pesimistic, probably self preservation, but continue to test over the next few mornings.

The dates just don't add up but I can't understand how I could get positives now and not when my period was 2 days late.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mildred22

The clear blue dating tests go a week/ 2 weeks behind so 1 - 2 weeks is actually 3 weeks then 3-4 weeks is 4 weeks and 3+ weeks is 5+ Weeks as far as I’m aware as I was confused at first also always use your first wee of the day or the dating isn’t accurate, best of luck I have everything crossed for you xxx

Mildred22 wrote: »
    The clear blue dating tests go a week/ 2 weeks behind so 1 - 2 weeks is actually 3 weeks then 3-4 weeks is 4 weeks and 3+ weeks is 5+ Weeks as far as I’m aware as I was confused at first also always use your first wee of the day or the dating isn’t accurate, best of luck I have everything crossed for you xxx

This is very true actually, I was assuming the dating was 2 weeks behind which wouldn't tie into dates but if its 1 week behind then possibly. Its 3 and a half weeks since ovulation kit said I ovulated so give a day or 2 leeway there and a little inaccuracy with the dating and maybe there is a slight possibility......

Tested again first thing this morning and still says 1-2 weeks. Also used a non digital one and there is a faint blue line, a little darker than yesterday.

I think the hcg levels are meant to double every 2 days or so, so tomorrow might tell a better picture

Fingers and toes crossed, its such a roller coaster x

This is very true actually, I was assuming the dating was 2 weeks behind which wouldn't tie into dates but if its 1 week behind then possibly. Its 3 and a half weeks since ovulation kit said I ovulated so give a day or 2 leeway there and a little inaccuracy with the dating and maybe there is a slight possibility......

Tested again first thing this morning and still says 1-2 weeks. Also used a non digital one and there is a faint blue line, a little darker than yesterday.

I think the hcg levels are meant to double every 2 days or so, so tomorrow might tell a better picture

Pics attached of yesterday's and today's non digital, it's definitely darker but still faint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Hi OP

I used some clear blue digital a few months back and like that, it said 'pregnant 1-2' even though I knew exactly when the accident had occurred and there was only one time that month! Going by that it would have put conception date way out, like around day 23, even though I usually ovulate day 14 latest. And sure enough when I had my dating scan they broughtmy date forward, so I think the CB can be behind a bit? I don't fully get it but I just know when it said 1-2 for me I was definitely more 3-4. I was worried then too about HCG and kept re-testing and it didn't change to 3-4 for over a week.

Fingers crossed for you. I hope you get good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I've had a loss, one pregnancy that went all the way through and one that's six months at the moment. I've always had low HCG levels in the beginning. Not GP confirmed but just the very faint lines, and then after a while you see them getting darker etc. I drove myself mad with different tests and wondering if a line was a result or an evaporation line etc. Wishing all the best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Bambinoonboard

Hello Meeeee79,

Has your doctor given any advice? I hope you get an answer soon, and wish you all the best. I can imagine the impact it has on you right now.

Antares35 wrote: »
    I've had a loss, one pregnancy that went all the way through and one that's six months at the moment. I've always had low HCG levels in the beginning. Not GP confirmed but just the very faint lines, and then after a while you see them getting darker etc. I drove myself mad with different tests and wondering if a line was a result or an evaporation line etc. Wishing all the best for you.

I'm so sorry u went through a loss also, it's so tough but huge congrats on this pregnancy and hope it is all going well for u.

Good to hear about your experience with clear blue. 3-4 weeks would make much more sense so perhaps there is hope xx

Hello Meeeee79,

Has your doctor given any advice? I hope you get an answer soon, and wish you all the best. I can imagine the impact it has on you right now.

To be honest I haven't yet contacted my doctor.

Having gone through a loss I know how many appointments, tests etc are involved and at such an early stage it can be very much wait and see so I think I'm avoiding the doctor for now to avoid the stress and the hype tbh if that makes sense.

I think I will test again over the weekend and if I see progress with the darkness of the lines or the dates on the clear blue I'll contact gp x

Hi Meeeee79, I hope it all works out for you. It's such a challenging time and consuming, as well as worrying. Try and take care and be kind to yourself.

When I miscarried in the past, I too remember the waiting for the 2nd EPS (after the first one which revealed not the news we'd been expecting) which was a whole 2 weeks and then a further to await D&C.

You're right to do what's right for you. X

Said I'd wait until after weekend to contact gp.

I got a negative on a digital test yesterday eve and a positive this morning

I'm guessing my levels are falling and eventually will be so low I'll get consistent negatives

All just happened in very strange way. Still getting bouts of nausea 2 weeks after the bleeding started which I wouldn't have expected considering it was so early.

More success next month hopefully x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'm guessing my levels are falling and eventually will be so low I'll get consistent negatives

All just happened in very strange way. Still getting bouts of nausea 2 weeks after the bleeding started which I wouldn't have expected considering it was so early.

I'm sorry to hear, hope you're doing okay, xxx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would go and see the GP anyway Meee??Just for general health to make sure you are ok?

It might be a good idea Meeee. Hope you will be okay. x

Thanks everyone, got a negative test this morning so 2 in a row and a high ovulation result as now I'm right into my next fertile period dates wise.

I have a call scheduled with gp tomorrow to see what she thinks x

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    triplets, not quadruplets maybe?

Not sure what u mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Laugh_a_minute

Not sure what u mean?

A really stupid, tasteless joke. Hope you get on OK with your GP and that you're feeling alright x

triplets, not quadruplets maybe?

What is wrong with u? You've obviously never gone thru anything like this and God willing u never will. Not because I don't wish the pain on u but because u don't even deserve the chsnce. u absolute peace of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not sure what u mean?

Extremely sorry! I didn't read the thread details & assumed it was 4 tests in a short space (1 weekend or so) when someone initially thinks they might be pregnant.

I hope all is ok, apologies again.

Extremely sorry! I didn't read the thread details & assumed it was 4 tests in a short space (1 weekend or so) when someone initially thinks they might be pregnant.

Regardless of what u thought it was still extremely insensitive tbh

You're Probably someone who should stay away from pregnancy threads

Thanks everyone, got a negative test this morning so 2 in a row and a high ovulation result as now I'm right into my next fertile period dates wise.

I have a call scheduled with gp tomorrow to see what she thinks x

I am so sorry. It's just awful. Remember nothing you did caused this.
    Please do call your doctor in case follow up is needed.

Can I drop a gentle word of advise to take care in reading threads and consider the sensitivity of particular topics? This is pregnancy we're talking - surely when you see the title, it automatically sparks concern and form of alert?! This lady's heart has been shattered. Use your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

Hope it works out.
    Things always work out x
    I had a few, quite a few miscarriages before going on to have 4 kids x

Advertisement